CCW Insurance / Legal Fees

This is a discussion on CCW Insurance / Legal Fees within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Being new to ccw, I've heard that it would be a good idea to purchase insurance just in case of an incident with a bg. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CCW Insurance / Legal Fees

CCW Insurance / Legal Fees

Being new to ccw, I've heard that it would be a good idea to purchase insurance just in case of an incident with a bg. Although in the eyes of the police the shooting was justified, you'll still need to protect yourself from an aggressive procecutor/grand jury system and perhaps the family of the bg or even the bg themselves. Am I being a little paranoid by this or is it a legit concern??

2. Remove Ads

Well you can get insurance through the NRA. Then there is a new group CHL Protection Plan. CHLPP is a legal services membership organization for concealed handgun licence/permit holders
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

Quote Originally Posted by sig1860 View Post
    Being new to ccw, I've heard that it would be a good idea to purchase insurance just in case of an incident with a bg. Although in the eyes of the police the shooting was justified, you'll still need to protect yourself from an aggressive procecutor/grand jury system and perhaps the family of the bg or even the bg themselves. Am I being a little paranoid by this or is it a legit concern??
    How often do you plan on shooting BGs?

I look on this potential event as a one-in-a-million possibility. Insurance is one way to mitigate your risk in a bad/dicey shoot, or a BG (or family member) that survived to sue you.

Personally, I don't plan on shooting many people. The best risk mitigation I can have is a deep understanding of the laws regarding self-defense shootings. If you do the right thing with your weapon, you'll most likely be fine.

I carry a gun to protect me and my family from lethal threats. Period. I am no "sheepdog" or wanna-be LEO looking to enforce the law.

Sig,

I think you need to balance the cost/benefit. It may be worth it to you.

While Mad Mac is correct, it's a one in a million chance you might need it; it could cost you a million to defend yourself, even if you are in the right.

I know I've had "one in a million" things happen in my life (one of which I was insured for). And discovered I was under-insured for that catastrophe. (it had nothing to do with CCW)

Only you can decide... while specific CCW liability may be less costly because of the actuarial facts... A good blanket liability policy might cover your needs, and offer some peace of mind in other areas as well (as long as the policy does not exclude self defense by use of force).

I don't sell insurance... But if you are concerned I would talk to SEVERAL agents... (and your lawyer).

I joined CHLPP about 2mnths ago. One reason I joined this organization is everytime I called I talked directly to the CEO(Rick Mackey). I believe this is a good sign because in a real situation you would sure as hell would not want an answering machine or a pre-recorded message. Individual coverage provides attorney assistance 24/7 365. I kinda like that.

While CHLPP is not a bad idea... here's a quote from their site which indicates why you may want blanket liability through your homeowners policy, or in addition to it (which MOST Folks DO NOT HAVE).

CHLPP does not provide coverage for related civil lawsuit legal expenses. The liability coverage portion of your auto/homeowners policy may cover these expenses. Most states now have a "Castle Doctrine" which limits civil suits by the attacker in a self-defense situation.
    please note: I added the BOLD to the existing text.

In our state, when I got my CCW, the class leader pounded this into our head...
    "You can be
    legally right,
    morally right,
    And CIVILLY LIABLE!"

Charlie

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Look into your state laws. Here in AZ there is a statute that anyone who is in the commission of a crime cannot recover any damages or litigate in any way against someone who attempted to stop their crime or impeded it. That includes their family or heirs. So if the shoot was good, there is by law no civil liability. And if it was a bad shoot, in AZ you're going to jail for a LONG time anyway for murder or attempted murder. :)

So I guess it depends on the laws in your state. Even with that, having some insurance for when you are out of state is a good idea.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    Look into your state laws. Here in AZ there is a statute that anyone who is in the commission of a crime cannot recover any damages or litigate in any way against someone who attempted to stop their crime or impeded it. That includes their family or heirs. So if the shoot was good, there is by law no civil liability. And if it was a bad shoot, in AZ you're going to jail for a LONG time anyway for murder or attempted murder. :)
    So I guess it depends on the laws in your state. Even with that, having some insurance for when you are out of state is a good idea.
    The minister did a better job of making my point. If you are truly in a self-defense, life-and-death situation regarding you and/or your family, you're usually well protected by law. I also have a multi-million dollar blanket policy through my home/auto insurer.

If some freak accident happens and I still believe I am in the right, I at least know me and my family are alive to deal with the consequences. Just like those new auto warranty programs for ten-year old cars cars with 150,000 miles, it helps to read and understand the fine print. It may be a rip-off.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I'm with MadMac.

Regards,
    Jerry

You really have to analyze it on a cost basis; figure out what you are going to pay out by the month or year against what an average defense would be should you ever find yourself in that situation. I know the one time I needed defending, the total bill was around $14,000.00, and everything was justified, but 90% of that legal fee resulted from the civil action that followed the "no-bill" from the local DA. It may be noted that at the time, Texas had no "castle doctrine" type laws in place, and those dollars were 1994 dollars.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    How often do you plan on shooting BGs?

I look on this potential event as a one-in-a-million possibility. Insurance is one way to mitigate your risk in a bad/dicey shoot, or a BG (or family member) that survived to sue you.

Personally, I don't plan on shooting many people. The best risk mitigation I can have is a deep understanding of the laws regarding self-defense shootings. If you do the right thing with your weapon, you'll most likely be fine.

I carry a gun to protect me and my family from lethal threats. Period. I am no "sheepdog" or wanna-be LEO looking to enforce the law.
    I second this sentiment.

If you shoot someone, figure around $20K in attorney's fees. Sometimes less, lots of times more.

I know of one case were the figure of $50,000 for the initial retainer was asked for, and was not unreasonable.

It's a serious incident which demands attention, time, effort and skill on behalf of your defense counsel.

Concealed Carry Insurance

Check out MMD Brokers at MMD Brokers LLC - Firearm Insurance
    Much better cover than the NRA and not that much more.

In this day and age, it doesn't hurt to carry an umbrella policy for personal liability. We carry one for $1M. I can't remember the cost off the top of my head, but it's not much.

Having said that, it's also nice to live in a state like FL where, if I'm found to have acted properly in self-defense, by statute, I cannot be sued civilly.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    In this day and age, it doesn't hurt to carry an umbrella policy for personal liability. We carry one for $1M. I can't remember the cost off the top of my head, but it's not much.

Having said that, it's also nice to live in a state like FL where, if I'm found to have acted properly in self-defense, by statute, I cannot be sued civilly.
    +1 - Since I have rental property, I picked one up for $2M. I believe it is only $100 +/_ a year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links