No carry license and a trip to Louisiana

This is a discussion on No carry license and a trip to Louisiana within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a Missouri resident who does not yet have a concealed carry license. I am headed to Louisiana on vacation later this week. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No carry license and a trip to Louisiana

I am a Missouri resident who does not yet have a concealed carry license. I am headed to Louisiana on vacation later this week. I will drive through Arkansas, Tennessee, and Mississippi on the way to Louisiana. I do keep a handgun (loaded) in the center console of my vehicle and in any hotel room I stay in which is legal in MO (and I believe in LA as well). Handgunlaw.us says "Louisiana law does not expressly prohibit the carrying of handguns in vehicles. This is a complicated issue. We suggest that you refer to Louisiana Revised Statutes Title 14 Sections 95; 95.1; 95.2; 95.6; 95.7; 95.8." I also carry a K-Bar TDI clipped to my belt which may or may not be legal in MO. According to Handgunlaw.us Missouri restricts a knife of more than four inches. It officially says that "knife" does not include any ordinary pocketknife with no blade more than four inches in length. My blade is less than 4 inches but ordinary, maybe not. Louisiana knife laws are unknown according to Handgunlaw.us. What would you recommend for the upcoming trip to Louisiana? Handgun in vehicle and keep the knife? Leave them both at home? Other options?

OpenCarry.org - State Information For Louisiana

Summary
    Louisiana is a traditional open carry state. They have complete state preemption of firearms laws with the exception that laws in place prior to the passage of preemption are allowed to remain in place

Open Car Carry You may open carry in a vehicle.
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Thanks for the link. Any worries on the drive down (thrrough Arkansas, Tennessee, and Mississipppi)?
    Last edited by atm7819; June 30th, 2009 at 08:34 AM.

Can't offer any advice other than the OpenCarry link given above and while this is of no help for a trip coming up quickly, I would strongly suggest that you get your MO CC license. The MO license is a very good license to have in that it is recognized in almost every state that will recognize any license other than their own. The only state that doesn't recognize a MO license that does recognize others is Wyoming. Not sure why that is, but if I were you, I'd definitely get on getting my MO license.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    The only state that doesn't recognize a MO license that does recognize others is Wyoming.

Hoss
    and New Jersey
    jersey no more.. im a texan now

I think you need spend some time checking up on the laws to keep yourself out of trouble.

In Arkansas you can not carry the loaded firearm if I am not mistaken. It must be unloaded in order to transport it without a carry permit. I also believe TN is a no-no as well.

Spend some time do some reading and stay out of trouble.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Traveling through the states in question in accordance with FOPA - 18 USC 926a would be the safest bet:

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    As stated, in Louisiana, you are good to go to open carry.

Quote Originally Posted by cbigclarke View Post
    and New Jersey
    Nope, because NJ doesn't honor anyone's permit other than their own. There are several states that don't honor a MO permit but they also don't honor any other state's permit. As far as I can tell, Wyoming is the only state that honors other permits but does not honor Missouri's.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Traveling through the states in question in accordance with FOPA - 18 USC 926a would be the safest bet:

As stated, in Louisiana, you are good to go to open carry.
    I think this may be the plan. Keep the gun unloaded in the trunk through Arkansas and Tennessee. Stop when I get into Mississippi and carry as usual. Thanks for all the help.

Quote Originally Posted by atm7819 View Post
    I think this may be the plan. Keep the gun unloaded in the trunk through Arkansas and Tennessee. Stop when I get into Mississippi and carry as usual. Thanks for all the help.
    You said Louisiana was your destination. You need to read the below carefully before carrying in Mississippi without a valid license:
    OpenCarry.org - State Information For Mississippi

Don't leave the gun at home. Federal law says that you can have your gun if you're "passing through" the other states. But if that particular state outlaws vehicle carry by nonpermittees, then you have to have it unloaded and in the trunk separate from ammo. See McClure-Volkmer act.

Great book by Scott Kappas about the firearm laws of each state. It goes through what states recognize others, and specific carry laws for out-of-state people - I keep it handy when traveling:

Firearm Laws of the 50 States by: J Scott Kappas, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    You said Louisiana was your destination. You need to read the below carefully before carrying in Mississippi without a valid license:
    OpenCarry.org - State Information For Mississippi
    From your link:
    Mississippi is an open carry state and the state constitution appears to guarantee this right. Further, localities are generally preempted under state law from enacting local gun control ordnances that might restrict open carry. However, Miss. Code §§ 97-37-1 & § 45-9-101 operate together to ban carriage of a handgun "concealed in whole or in part" unless the carrier is inside a motor vehicle or possesses a License to Carry a Concealed Pistol or Revolver. As the Mississippi courts have said that a handgun in a holster is concealed in part, a License to Carry a Concealed Pistol or Revolver is required to openly carry a handgun in a holster in Mississippi
    That just makes my head hurt.

Hoss

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

So Mississippi says open carry is ok, but holstered is not ok? Maybe keep the gun in my lap so it isn't concealed as I drive through Mississippi?

Quote Originally Posted by atm7819 View Post
    So Mississippi says open carry is ok, but holstered is not ok? Maybe keep the gun in my lap so it isn't concealed as I drive through Mississippi?
    However, Miss. Code §§ 97-37-1 & § 45-9-101 operate together to ban carriage of a handgun "concealed in whole or in part" unless the carrier is inside a motor vehicle or possesses a License to Carry a Concealed Pistol or Revolver.
    As I read it, you are o.k. inside of your vehicle, but not outside of it. It appears that though OC is legal, you would just have to walk down the street carrying it in your hand as holstering means it's concealed. But, they could probably then say your hand was partially concealing the gun so you're in trouble again. I'm beginning to love Kansas.

Hoss

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Ok here we go:

Arkansas - for someone without a recognized license (that's you), the weapon must be unloaded, cased and in the trunk (probably separate from ammo too). Glove box carry is illegal. Some interpretation of the law suggests that you may be able to carry it loaded if you are traveling straight through the state, but that's open to interpretation.

Tennessee - firearms must be unloaded and in plain view or secured in a commercial gun case anywhere in the vehicle. "Unloaded" means that you can't have any loaded magazine nearby.

Mississippi - loaded firearms may be carried openly or concealed anywhere in a motor vehicle.

Louisiana - vehicle carry - loaded firearms may be carried openly or in the gove box.

Open carry on foot - unrestricted in most public areas and generally accepted
    Concealed carry on foot - license required.

My advice is to follow the guidelines for the states you're traveling through, and then when you're in Louisiana, you can have it loaded in your vehicle. But if you're going to carry it on foot, keep it open and visible.

You can also call this office to confirm things if you want:

Louisiana State Police/CHP Section
    (225) 925-4867

Does that help?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links