Can I still carry if I have a known felon in the car with me?

This is a discussion on Can I still carry if I have a known felon in the car with me? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, so this is my question. I'm a have a permit and carry all of the time. Mostly pocket carry, but my gun is ALWAYS ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ok, so this is my question. I'm a have a permit and carry all of the time. Mostly pocket carry, but my gun is ALWAYS on me. My father in law is being released from federal prison in July and I'm going to be going to pick him up. Is it legal for me to carry my gun as I always do with him in the car with me.

I also have a cousin who is a convicted felon and I have given him a ride before. Same question as above.

BTW this is in the wonderful state of Alabama.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes,.. As long as it is on your person and they don't have access to it,.. You're ok.. Just never leave it with them, or you're responsible for anything that goes wrong,... Always keep it on you,...

Quote Originally Posted by xgunslingerx View Post
    Ok, so this is my question. I'm a have a permit and carry all of the time. Mostly pocket carry, but my gun is ALWAYS on me. My father in law is being released from federal prison in July and I'm going to be going to pick him up. Is it legal for me to carry my gun as I always do with him in the car with me.

I also have a cousin who is a convicted felon and I have given him a ride before. Same question as above.

BTW this is in the wonderful state of Alabama.

Thanks for your reply.
    IANAL but IIRC the law says they can not be in possession of a firearm as convicted felons. I would think you being in possession of the firearm is legal as long as they do not have access to it.
    I carry a bible and a gun. Your Point?

Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")

VIP Member
    Cops do it all the time!!!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TucAzRider View Post
    Yes,.. As long as it is on your person and they don't have access to it,.. Your ok.. Just never leave it with them, or your responsible for anything that goes wrong,... Always keep it on you,...
    maybe in Arizona where you are.....but the OP is in Alabama

xgunslingerx: you'll need to check your own state laws or someone from AL will chime in, laws do vary from state to state as to where the firearm may be in relation to the felon
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    maybe in Arizona where you are.....but the OP is in Alabama

xgunslingerx: you'll need to check your own state laws or someone from AL will chime in, laws do vary from state to state as to where the firearm may be in relation to the felon
    Good call,... I should have added that,.

I've looked on Handguns.us and see nothing pertaining to this. My handout that I received when I got the permit mentions nothing about this. I assume that it's not an issue, but really want to know for sure. I'll wait to see if anyone has personally had any experience with like issue or if anyone can point me to a direction I could find the info from.

On a side note, I'm up for renewal on the 15th of July so I've gotta go to the Sheriff's office for that. If I don't learn the answer by then I will ask at that time.

VIP Member
    Be careful when you go to the prison though... you probably have already considered that but just in case!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Here in Ohio you would not want to carry when you go to the prison.

I adopted a "cell dog" pup from an Ohio prison a couple months ago. I was supposed to pick her up at the Humane Society. When I got there they asked if I would mind going over to the prison to get her. When I pulled in-- there was the NO GUNS sign for parking lot and building. There was nowhere else to park. I left the property, disarmed and hid it in the console then went back. Hoped for a quick run in and back out. But, prison was in lockdown and had to wait almost two hours for the dog officer to bring the pup out to the lobby. I was nervous Nelly the whole time. It was two hours from home so I didn't know what else to do. The shelter was closing for the day and would not wait any longer for the dog officer to bring the pup to the shelter. My first experience with having the gun where I should not have and I did it big time LOL.

No one found out, and the dog is working out great.

I would.

Can you?
    You better...
    I see an interesting family reunion in your future.

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Felons can't have firearms...you aren't a felon. I don't see the problem. You should ask your LE though .

No trouble for you, but it may be a violation of their parole. I don't know if it is different for each parolee, but in California there was a mom who I knew who had to take all her guns to storage so her son could move back in with her when he was released from prison. Unfortunately, she was able to pick them back up within a month when he went back for hanging out with the same drug-dealing buddies that helped him go to prison in the first place.

Bottom line, since you aren't the felon there aren't really any restrictions on you, but if you want to hang out with felons you might need to change some things you do to keep them from getting into trouble.

VIP Member
    As already said each state has their own laws, and since your father in law is in a federal prison that throws other jurisdictions in. Most states only prohibit the felon from being in possession. I would say as long as you are in physical control of the weapon your good to go. To be safe call the State Police and the FBI since your FIL is in a federal penitentiary.

I would too but i would def. check some things out first, better safe than sorry right. But i don't see a problem if the convicted felon doesn't have access to your firearm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links