Illinois - Pain in the rear

This is a discussion on Illinois - Pain in the rear within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We do LOTS of road trips..... and frequently the "best" way to go takes us through Illinois. I live in Colorado, and we visit friends ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Illinois - Pain in the rear

We do LOTS of road trips..... and frequently the "best" way to go takes us through Illinois. I live in Colorado, and we visit friends and family in PA and FL. When going to PA on I70 I have to go from concealed carry mode to a totally unprotected mode when going through IL on I70. The very best way to go from CO to FL is also through IL, although there are some good alternatives which take me through gun states in which I'm ccw covered.

When traveling west to east I can dip down the western side of the Mississippi River (in the state of MO) but still have to go through about a couple of miles of IL (near Cairo).

Vent is over guys....... No offense meant to my IL gunnies friends... but IL has become one of my least favorite states.

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

no offense taken here...

all i have to say is..... say it brother!
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    hey i know how you feel i live in michigan so i got to go through there to get to my family in tn
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

I feel your pain too. I cut through to go to Minnesota.

Chrise2004,
    Pretty Boxer !

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    I've driven through Ill a couple times myself and have been equally annoyed. Whatcha gonna do, though?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

If at ALL possible, I drive around those states (not always possible, I understand), but a few hundred miles further and plan a few extra 'interesting' stops...broaden the vacation, so to speak.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sometimes it's unavoidable. When we travel to see family back in Ohio we have to go through Ill noise as well as Iowa, and Nebraska (hopefully will be able to conceal there soon). Going around is not an option then it would be Kansas and Ill noise. Not going a thousand miles out of the way just so we can carry. So we do what we have to and stop as little as neccassary and definetly do not spend any money in the peoples republic of obama.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

has Ill. ever even tried to pass a concealed carry law has Wisconsin?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mathewsman View Post
    hey i know how you feel i live in michigan so i got to go through there to get to my family in tn
    Why? You can go through Indiana and Kentucky and avoid Illinois. Even if you live in the UP you can take the Mackinac Bridge into the main body of the state and travel south, avoiding ILL.

VIP Member
    That little area near Cairo you are talking about is the biggest joke. You literally have to go through about a half mile of Illinois between Ky and Mo. Talk about rediculous. You'll have to unload your gun and put it in a box for about 1 minute..
    I go to Ill-annoy all the time because of family.... I feel your pain.
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycarry View Post
    That little area near Cairo you are talking about is the biggest joke. You literally have to go through about a half mile of Illinois between Ky and Mo. Talk about rediculous. You'll have to unload your gun and put it in a box for about 1 minute..
    I go to Ill-annoy all the time because of family.... I feel your pain.
    So you know what I mean kentuckycarry...... I didn't know the exact distance from leaving MO to getting into KY...... but it is a pain in the butt. Sometimes when returning back west (out of Kentucky) I will head north out of Cairo and hit into MO farther up river. I hate it.....

I can only imagine what my IL gunnie brothers think........

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If at ALL possible, I drive around those states (not always possible, I understand), but a few hundred miles further and plan a few extra 'interesting' stops...broaden the vacation, so to speak.
    I agree with you retsupt...... and I frequently do it. But the thing about CO to Pittsburgh, PA on I70 is that I'm "good to go" thru KS, MO, IN, OH........ It's right in the middle (IL) that I have to disarm....

BTW, your avatar comes from my favorite movie..... and I love the quote. I can lip sync Godfather I...... and most of Godfather II... Drives my wife crazy......

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Quote Originally Posted by FastDraw View Post
    ....I'm "good to go" thru KS, MO, IN, OH........
    For Coloradoans, Ohio is out now too. (handgunlaw.us). This tit for tat between the state AG's is sure getting to be a lot of BS!

I understand. I'm 10 miles from The peoples Republic of Illbama. I have to cross frequently fr work and anytime I want to go east.

Roger

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I will be driving to Vermont (from VA) later this summer. The fastest way is through NJ, but I plan to go through PA instead. Even then you have to go through NY, but I will be sure to buy enough gas and snacks in PA that I don't have to stop at all in NY. (NJ seems worse than IL...it's not even legal to pump your own gas, talk about a totalitarian paradise)

Just doing my part to stimulate the economy of freedom loving states!

Hmm. Maybe I should go for one of those cheesesteaks in the meantime...
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links