National Guard Facility Carry

This is a discussion on National Guard Facility Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In another thread I had stated that a National Guard facility was off limits for concealed carry as was my understanding. However, I was corrected ...

Thread: National Guard Facility Carry

National Guard Facility Carry

In another thread I had stated that a National Guard facility was off limits for concealed carry as was my understanding. However, I was corrected by another and admittedly even I cannot find anything specific about those facilities. It is nearly impossible to determine if the state or federal government owns or operates the facility. I do know that federal facilities are strictly off-limits according to several sources but the National Guard is somewhat grey. Anyone know for sure?
    2A is not negotiable

2. Remove Ads

National Guard troops and their facilities belong to the respective states, not the federal government or the US Army. State law prevails in regards to the facilities in every state I have lived in.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

That is also my understanding but I cannot find anything restricting CCW at those facilities under the state website either
    Last edited by LeCalsey; July 1st, 2009 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Typo
    2A is not negotiable

Good question. from what i found it does appear to be state prop. but if a unit is title 10 activated for deployment by the fed gov. does that change things? then there is also things like full auto weopons with US property marks and some of these weopons are inventoryed in and out of fed. millitary bases. lot of gray area

The easiest thing to do is go up to the facilities manager and ask!
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

The Guard belongs to the state, unless it's federalized. State law and National Guard Bureau policies prevail.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

I asked this question a few years ago.

I had to go to a National Guard base in Virginia Beach while my son was in a program there. I called the base and got the second-in-command and asked what their policy was for privately owned guns. He told me they didn't have a policy! Great!!

I'd also left a voice mail for the guy in charge and when he called me back I explained the question and that his deputy had already answered it. He got a little worked up, asking why I thought I needed a gun, etc., etc.

I explained traveling across the state, staying in unknown hotels in unknown areas, AND it's my right. Then I reminded him that the Guard is a STATE organization and that the Virginia legislature reserves the exclusive right to decide what public propereties are off limits. Guard facilities are not on that list. He grudgingly gave me "permission" to bring my pistol.

I later had a similar discussion with Virginia Beach city and county police officials about carrying in their training center. That started because the program my son was involved with was using the police training center's auditorium and I asked one of the officers about carry there. He nearly went ballistic!

In case anyone else encounters it, the program my son was in is called "Commonwealth Challenge" and it's run by the National Guard. It's a program for kids who've dropped out of school and need to learn self-discipline and earn a GED. It's a residential, boot camp style program and conducts classes for the GED study. Other states have similar programs. My question was whether the program was considered a "school" as regards carrying. It took almost a year to get an attorney general opinion, but in Virginia it doesn't meet the definition of a school.
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

I am a member of the Tennessee State Guard and co-drill with TARNG. In Tennessee, do not bring a weapon onto the facility! The National Guard bases are under the same basic regs as Regular Army bases, no private weapons allowed. You can argue all you want about laws and regs, you will lose your gun, your HCP and possibly some of your freedom. Military regs prevail over state laws. When you enter a base/facility, even as a civilian, it is with the understanding that you will accept military regulation as law.

I hate it but I live with it. The main time I can't carry a gun is when I am in uniform!
    Last edited by wjh2657; July 2nd, 2009 at 08:53 AM.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Speaking for FL only.

They are a state facility and therefore do not fall under the federal facility prohibition. They are also not specifically prohibited by statute and as such, by FL law, you may carry there.

Now......as always, the facility can prohibit carry, and the NG likely does. If you do so and are found out, you must leave when asked to do so. Failing to do so is a violation of trespass laws......worse, you could be charged with armed trespass, and that's a bad thing. Really no different from a restaurant putting up a sign prohibiting carry.....the prohibition itself has no standing under FL law.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Why in the world is everybody asking "Mother May I"? Are you looking for places to not carry? Are you looking for a fight? Stop the asking and phone calling. Just shut up and follow the law and conceal carry where legal to do so and don't where it is not.

Better yet , as much as possible, avoid places where it is not legal to carry.
    NRA Member
    I carry a .45 because they don't make a .46
    www.ShootersEar.com

Links