Your Word Against Theirs......

This is a discussion on Your Word Against Theirs...... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I was CC'ing today I had a thought that popped into my brain and it was a little disturbing. Before I start, I apologize ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Word Against Theirs......

VIP Member

Your Word Against Theirs......

As I was CC'ing today I had a thought that popped into my brain and it was a little disturbing. Before I start, I apologize if this has been hashed over in the past. I also wanted to say that I feel 75% of these scenario posts are kind of stupid (You know the type of scenario with the guy who pulls out his desert eagle to save his life from a charging rooster), and so I really never thought I was post in this section of the forum until today.

So getting back to my story of this disturbing thought. I was pumping some gas at the gas station and cleaning my windshield. It was pretty windy today for some odd reason and my shirt caught the wind and blew up. While it was up, you could clearly see my XD9 sc for a second or two before I realized what happened. This was compounded because I was reaching over with a squeegee and trying to finish my task at hand. I looked over and saw a couple women checking me out while they were waiting for their gas to finish pumping.

Now here is where my disturbing thought came. What if these women only saw the print of my gun, and did not actually see my firearm; then called the police. Some people can be flat out nasty or have some political axe to grind is why I bring up this topic. Now the LEO shows up and they tell him that I brandished my weapon, seriously what could a person do in this situation? It's your word against theirs and they have two people telling the same story.

It seems like it would be impossible to see who is telling the truth in this scenario.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    I would think that if the women are lying, their stories will constantly change with interviews/statements, and that if yours stays consistent, the cops would easily be able to see that, but honestly, I'm just theorizing here. I have no idea.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Most gas stations have cameras.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

More than likely it would have been caught on video, gas pumps get high priority in security these days.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

A few moments conversation with them about what they saw, provided they were honest, should end this one. If not, off to the video...
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Their description of your covered gun most likely won't match with reality.

And cameras don't lie.

Keep it covered and most all the sheeple will never know what you have under your clothes. As long as you are not doing anything "threatening or acting weird," most folks just go about their business and don't even know you exist.
    Certified Glock Armorer

VIP Member
    I agree with others' in that most people simply don't care. If someone happens to see my gun when I adjust my shirt, they likely assume I'm connected in some way. In short; if you act like it's no big deal, then others will feel the same way. IMHO ~
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

In FL, that wouldn't be a problem...that's not considered brandishing.
    When the cops show up, just tell the truth...in fact, you 'probably' won't even have known what those ladies were talking about.

Stay armed...being alert also means staying concealed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If they report that you brandished and you didn't, they would be up for charges of falsifying a police report. The key however is that for them to even think you have a gun on you means you had to have at least printed and in most states, that is a violation of concealed-carry law. Don't print and you won't have to worry about it :-)
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

I didn't get past the charging rooster part here! HooooHA! Classic...

But, on the subject of word against theirs...I would think just telling the truth, remaining calm and professional would be enough to diffuse the situation.
    "I'm a big, hairy, American winning machine!" - Ricky Bobby

So we go from Charging Roosters, to OMG..someone caught a peek of my gun !! lol.
    I wouldn't sweat it, printing is one thing, brandishing is another. As a Democrat and a fairly liberal person ,I can almost assure you that no one is out there trying to spy your gun so they can call you in and grind their political axe....I could be wrong but just in case I'd leave the tin foil on the roll.

As far as Anti-Gun people go, I sometimes wonder just how many of them there really are. i'm 41 and I don't know any, never met one, seen one up close, or even heard anyone that I know mention that they know one.
    Maybe it's just Mr. and Mrs .Brady.....that would be ok with me.

OpenCarry.org - State Information For Washington

Looks like even if they saw and could describe your gun, they would have to prove that you "brandished" or threatened them. You'd be amazed at how few public places are not recorded these days...
    Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn. -C. S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    As far as Anti-Gun people go, I sometimes wonder just how many of them there really are. i'm 41 and I don't know any, never met one, seen one up close, or even heard anyone that I know mention that they know one.
    Maybe it's just Mr. and Mrs .Brady.....that would be ok with me.
    Almost everyone I know who lives in my area is anti-gun, except my family. I suspect your experience is due to the area you live in (as is mine).

By 'anti-gun' I don't mean 'thinks all guns should be banned'...some of them even shoot, but they certainly don't think you should be allowed to carry.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

WA is open carry also. your shirt fliping up is not brandishing. (and camera)
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    As I was CC'ing today I had a thought that popped into my brain and it was a little disturbing. Before I start, I apologize if this has been hashed over in the past. I also wanted to say that I feel 75% of these scenario posts are kind of stupid (You know the type of scenario with the guy who pulls out his desert eagle to save his life from a charging rooster), and so I really never thought I was post in this section of the forum until today.

So getting back to my story of this disturbing thought. I was pumping some gas at the gas station and cleaning my windshield. It was pretty windy today for some odd reason and my shirt caught the wind and blew up. While it was up, you could clearly see my XD9 sc for a second or two before I realized what happened. This was compounded because I was reaching over with a squeegee and trying to finish my task at hand. I looked over and saw a couple women checking me out while they were waiting for their gas to finish pumping.

Now here is where my disturbing thought came. What if these women only saw the print of my gun, and did not actually see my firearm; then called the police. Some people can be flat out nasty or have some political axe to grind is why I bring up this topic. Now the LEO shows up and they tell him that I brandished my weapon, seriously what could a person do in this situation? It's your word against theirs and they have two people telling the same story.

It seems like it would be impossible to see who is telling the truth in this scenario.
    What would make them think that you were not a LEO. 98% of the time, no one will say anything because they don't know if you are a LEO doing your job or not.

Besides police,
    In my city, several neighborhoods have hired armed security guards. They sometimes use uniformed guards but many act covertly. I have seen them getting ready to engage and even raid. They put on their armor, some carry shotguns.They are all plain closed in unmarked vehicles they look just like SWAT and it is all legal even though they are not LEO's. Since most don't know, just don't tell and you will probably not have a problem. Just don't attempt to brandish.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links