Wife's work place question

This is a discussion on Wife's work place question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife is an office manager, and good at her job by the way. She loves where she works and looks forward to going every ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wife's work place question

Wife's work place question

My wife is an office manager, and good at her job by the way. She loves where she works and looks forward to going every day. (at least one of us loves what they do!)

The couple who own the place are VERY pro-2A and they both have their carry permits. They were real happy when they learned the my wife also has hers. They allow her to have he gun in her office with her, but they prefer she not actually have it on her person during the day. Don't ask me why, you will just be repeating the same things I have said.

Anyway, when she comes into her office, she un-holsters and places her XD sub compact in a drawer in her desk, then before she goes home she re-holsters and heads out.

Here is my great concern. The place she works is a sheet metal fabrication company. They make things out of sheet metal, they do construction with metal that sort of thing. This kind of work attracts some less than savory characters and I know several of the employees are convicted felons and one is a former gang member. The drawer she keeps her gun in does not lock, she hides the gun under file folders. I am concerned that one of the employees with a record might catch sight of her un-holstering one morning and wait until she steps out of her office for some reason and then snatch the gun. She is concerned about this too so we are searching fo some type of small gun safe or sturdy metal locking box that she can keep the gun in during the day.

Any suggestions for what might work in her situation?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

If you are that concerned with it I would perhaps ask her about talking to her employers... otherwise... concealed is concealed.

Sorry if I'm no help.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

I'd say just keep concealed and don't tell anyone. I've never carried on work property in my work clothes because of the nature of my on site work lends myself to easily expose myself, but I have carried in my regular clothes on property and when I'm out doing product testing. If I'm not on property for a full day of work I am armed. I am able to lock my firearm away during work hours though.

Quote Originally Posted by OMEGA2669 View Post
    If you are that concerned with it I would perhaps ask her about talking to her employers... otherwise... concealed is concealed.

Sorry if I'm no help.
    Already done. Talked to them. As I said, they are pro-2A but, as nice as they are, they are honestly not that gun savy. The male of the couple doesn't feel safe carrying with a round in the chamber of his Walther PP. I have tried to explain that if the solid waste actually does strike the bladed, rotating-oscillating air moving device he will not have time to rack a round into the chamber when he needs the gun. He still thinks he'll have plenty of warning.
    Being as his office is in the very back of the building and my wife's is right up front, he may be right. His warning may be her gun shots at the bad guy. But, he's still wrong.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Center of Mass (Center Of Mass Central) has locking storage boxes, that while designed for cars, could work for your wife. They have models that use keys, and also biometric locks, which use finger prints. Drill a hole in the back of the drawer to run the cable through to secure it to the desk and you're set!

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    +1 on the COM box. Also Secure-it has a nearly identical lock box. They're only about $30 and come with a security cable.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

a safe sounds like a good idea, but it would slow her down too.
    How about she just stays armed and conceals ? If not the Xd then maybe an LCP or P3at ?
    The boss might have time to chamber a round ,only because the Bg's would shoot your wife first, on the way to his office. I can imagine your frustration with the situation as it stands.

How about she carries a BUG (that is fake) and puts that in the drawer while keeping her XD on her side out of site. Keeps the boss happy and keeps her safe!

I would opt to change guns, maybe something for my pocket, then lock the other gun in safe.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

VIP Member
    +2 on the Center of Mass safes. I use them in my automobiles.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Keeping a loaded handgun in an unlocked desk drawer is simply asking for trouble. I'd rather sit there unarmed. Unless your wife sits at her desk every second the loaded gun is in the drawer, then it is far more likely the gun will be stolen or misused rather then used properly for self-defense.

In most offices, random employees rifle (no pun intended) the desks of others looking for pens, a notepad, or coins. Also, desks are often searched for less benign reasons - outright theft for example.

This happens so frequently, it's astonishing to me the owner would even consider a loaded handgun just sitting in a desk under some file folders. His and your SHTF moment will be when you lose everything you've worked for in court after an unlicensed employee uses your wife's gun to shoot someone.

I don't care how pro-2A the owner is, it will be YOUR family problem if the firearm is not properly secured.

I'll echo the suggestion that you install a COM type gun safe in your wife's desk drawer. They are fairly inexpensive and is money well spent under the circumstances. I have one installed in my truck for those pesky "no gun" zones!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I know here in Texas one could be in trouble for making a gun accessible to a felony. If you know there are felons working around you and fail to lock it up..........she might open a can of worms here by not taking the necessary precautions. I would dress in a way to carry the gun on me.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

VIP Member

+1 on the locking boxes; several companies make them, I would definitely invest in one....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links