To my dismay...

This is a discussion on To my dismay... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Every year I fly home to Tennesse for our yearly 4th of July family get together. My wife ind I flew in yesterday, and I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To my dismay...

To my dismay...

Every year I fly home to Tennesse for our yearly 4th of July family get together. My wife ind I flew in yesterday, and I did my usual routine of must haves. I got a Mello Yello, Goo Goo and a copy of the Tennessean. On the front page is an article on the new restaraunt carry bill. It also went on to call 250,000 law abiding people "potential armed vigilantes". This all stemming from the lifting of this ban. Another heated topic was carrying in city parks, again calling law abiding concealed carriers "A Threat". That's right "A Threat"!

I have copies of the paper from this past Monday through July 1st. I am a little heart broken and concerned. I feel helpless and not sure what to do to help my brothers and sisters out. As usual the articles are one sided. I just need a little guidance on how we can help.

Oh and to my fellow Arizona crew, we were mentioned in these articles, and it wasn't pretty.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I would write a letter to the editor and hope it gets published. It's a way to get your side of the story out there.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Administrator
    Like many other areas in our nation, TN's population centers are becoming over run with ninny's.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sometimes it is the view of the journalist and not the newspaper that gets published. So, go after the journalist. Some editors don't micro manage their journalists and then the entire paper goes down the tubes. I feel the anti-gun lobby ignores the amount of incidents where legally armed citizens have saved lives, including those of LEOs and retail owners.

Some of my co-workers who are anti-gun don't think its necessary because they have never been mugged or their homes have never been invaded. A co-worker of mine who was anti-gun for a long time now is thinking of getting one for every member of his family after his son was mugged in Belltown and was in a coma for 6 months.

For me, personally, I grew up in Kashmir, India, and being half Hindu, half Jewish, you can imagine the terror around me. Over the years, I have seen friends and family gunned down by terrorists for no reason. So I am always on high alert whenever I go there. When I am here, it seems much safer, but I still carry.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

VIP Member
    With The Tennessean, it is the editorial position of the paper, unfortunately. They are fighting the new laws tooth and nail with the typical "blood will run in the streets" mindset.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    For me, personally, I grew up in Kashmir, India, and being half Hindu, half Jewish...
    I'm half married, half single

I hope the newspaper didn't ruin the Mello Yello and Googoo Cluster. I do the same when I go back to NC, I get Cheerwine and some Texas Pete to take home to TX, but I tend to not look at the local news when I get back so this doesn't happen to me.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Looks like the end around play that the locals are trying on the parks deal has been shut down by the AG.

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    I hope the newspaper didn't ruin the Mello Yello and Googoo Cluster. I do the same when I go back to NC, I get Cheerwine and some Texas Pete to take home to TX, but I tend to not look at the local news when I get back so this doesn't happen to me.
    I can understand the Cheerwine (my wife loves the stuff), but taking Texas Pete back to Texas?!?!?!?!?!?!
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    Looks like the end around play that the locals are trying on the parks deal has been shut down by the AG.
    What have you heard?
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Quote Originally Posted by Spike32 View Post
    taking Texas Pete back to Texas?
    Until recently I could never find it. I still can't find Texas Pete hot dog chili here, but at least I have the hot sauce now.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Falcon,
    I read somewhere, maybe here,don't remember that the AG said that they can't make their own gun laws,they can't go against what the State law is.

the article is rite about being 'a threat' as lawfully armed citizens a threat to the BAD GUYS/CRIMINALS

mailto:letters@tennessean.com
    or mailto:msilverman@tennessean.com Mark Silverman Editor/VP of Content

Link to the Editor at the Tennessean, maybe drop a line to them about unbiased reporting and how they may like to try it?
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    Falcon,
    I read somewhere, maybe here,don't remember that the AG said that they can't make their own gun laws,they can't go against what the State law is.
    http://tn.gov/attorneygeneral/op/2009/OP/OP118.pdf

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links