Today's sheep count :)

This is a discussion on Today's sheep count :) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Had to swing out to PO this morning and picked up a few things at local store while out. As I drew up to park ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Today's sheep count :)

Assistant Administrator

Had to swing out to PO this morning and picked up a few things at local store while out.

As I drew up to park - started watching a few folks and noticed how ''white'' they were. This decided me to make an assessment of all in the store while I got my stuff.

Headcount - 11, excluding clerks. Condition of 10 - whiter than white!. Just one guy who while he shopped scanned subtly as he went - good chance he carried tho I couldn't make him, nor him me I might add. Our eyes met briefly once - and while no body language exchanged - there was a sorta invisible ''nod''!

A BG coulda come in there to rob and never been seen right up until the moment he pulled a gun - by clerks or the 10. That's not to say the other guy or me would have had a lot more warning but - I noticed he took stock of each entering or leaving customer as I did.

No big deal - just staying in touch with surroundings but I reckon all the other folks could make easy marks with their potential ''victim'' labels. I guess something approaching 10% sheepdog in the mix ain't too bad, these days
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    90% sheep, eh? No wonder the wolves are putting on weight these days!
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

mik
    Interesting exercise Chris. I'm gonna try it next opportunity I get. Thanks for the idea!

VIP Member
    Good way of putting it Team.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Assistant Administrator
    Thinking on it - could probably have reported much the same - sitting in a KFC with a buffet. I always choose the high table/stool combo for sitting - good view all round.

Last time I observed the ''count'' - I expect it was actually higher than 90%!! ''Oblivious'' is word that comes to mind for most folks!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Around here there more like Lemings.

They are just as obliviouse, and soft like sheep. But they ALWAYS move in flocks, even if the heard is runing into danger or stupidity. Its a rare thing to see someone act as an individual.

Local WalMart has a McDonalds inside, right by one of the front entrances. I like going there for a quick bite to eat and watch the Sheeple.

It is kind of fun. If the isles in the store were not arranged in such nice, neat rows, these people would likely be bumping into walls. . .

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Anyone here a parent of small children? Try looking for sheep, when you've got your own little herd to keep watch on. I've got two little boys, 6, and 8, and going to any store with them both is a minor nightmare. Usually when I go to the store, they stay with their mother. But when we all go to the store, I have to watch them both. My wife is disabled and either has to use canes to help her walk, or she uses one of those motorized chairs.

Unfortunately, they require 110% of my attention. The ONLY time I can really look around and size up the area is when I go alone. Which is, fortunately, most of the time.

On those occasions when I have the luxury of paying attention to something other than my "wrecking crew," I notice that usually, I'm the only sheep dog, most of the time.

Sometimes, other than the local cops, I feel like I'm the only armed person in all of Lansing! But I figure there's got to be at least one other person out there with a gun.

Old, Old habits

Grew up and spent most of my life in South Philly.
    Always aware of my surroundings, never have my back to a door and ALWAYS expecting something bad to happen.

Have to go to the "Heroin Capital Of The World" (according to 60 Minutes - Reading, Pa), once in awhile. Sort of feels like home, I can feel the heightened senses and often go "back home" to Philly to visit but even here where I live now in a pleasant suburban environment, I'm never so relaxed as to be non-vigilant.

Maybe that's why I had serious ulcers at age 16

yep even at car dealership last night it was like that i had the dog and still had time to search around ..

Made me feel good 2 of the salesman asked me if i liked glock they both had 9's and carried them ...

I was packing the 10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    yep even at car dealership last night it was like that i had the dog and still had time to search around ..

Made me feel good 2 of the salesman asked me if i liked glock they both had 9's and carried them ...

I was packing the 10mm
    How'd they know to ask you that? Were you printing or did it just come up in normal conversation?
    Jack

Administrator

Talking Sheep

I live smack in the middle of a huge flock of sheep.
    Luckily the Baaaaaaaaaad....Baaaaaaaaaaad wolves have not really discovered this particular flock yet. They could have thei choice of the Prime Mutton.

The "View" Out My Window.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Al Lowe
    Anyone here a parent of small children? Try looking for sheep, when you've got your own little herd to keep watch on.
    Unfortunately, they require 110% of my attention. The ONLY time I can really look around and size up the area is when I go alone. Which is, fortunately, most of the time.
    I know what you mean, Al, most of your attention, conciously or not, is focused on your kids, their havoc potentioal, etc. Interestingly, when I'm out with my own kids (6 and 3) I notice that while a good chunk of my attention is on them, it is also on potential threats to them, not necessarily on the rest of the "tactial situation". I.E. I'm really really aware of anyone in our expanded personal space ( 20 feet or so) and not very aware of what is happening say, at the front door or cash register.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Lowe
    Anyone here a parent of small children? Try looking for sheep, when you've got your own little herd to keep watch on. I've got two little boys, 6, and 8, and going to any store with them both is a minor nightmare.
    When we had toddlers (your boys are too old for this I'd guess) we tied one small bell (like a reindeer bell) into the shoe lace of one of each of their shoes. If we lost visual with them (easy with those small, fast little suckers...LOL), we could always hear them!

Quote Originally Posted by jamz
    Interestingly, when I'm out with my own kids (6 and 3) I notice that while a good chunk of my attention is on them, it is also on potential threats to them, not necessarily on the rest of the "tactial situation". I.E. I'm really really aware of anyone in our expanded personal space ( 20 feet or so) and not very aware of what is happening say, at the front door or cash register.
    JAMZ: You might want to try the bells - the kids thought it was "neat" to have bells on...

P95: Was the ratio maybe 20%? Are you in remedial math, or just not counting the "maybe" to be conservative?

At dinner last night with the lady - same ratio - 10%.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White

Made me feel good 2 of the salesman asked me if i liked glock they both had 9's and carried them ...I was packing the 10mm
    Wow, Bud, you shop in TOUGH neighborhoods!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links