What Would You Do? Carry or Not.

This is a discussion on What Would You Do? Carry or Not. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You are on your way to the local gun show. You are carrying your CCW of choice as usual. You arrive at the gun show ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Would You Do? Carry or Not.

1952 - 2006

What Would You Do? Carry or Not.

You are on your way to the local gun show. You are carrying your CCW of choice as usual.
    You arrive at the gun show and signs are posted that CCW is not permitted.
    You know there are no metal detectors or anyway of anyone discovering that you are carrying.

Do you? Or don't you? And why?
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

2. Remove Ads

Tough choice . Anything happen other than being asked to leave?

Not me, the risks are just too great. The one here is posted "no loaded firearms OR magazines." We're not talking about concealing around sheeple here, those guys at the door know what to look for and they ARE looking. Also, I could be wrong, but I believe carrying a loaded weapon or magazine into a gun show (at least in TN) is a Federal offense. I've been a smoker for years but I'm not interested in those "free" cigarettes !

I've taken handguns in to sell before but I always have them checked at the door and I sell to dealers only (I usually get hosed on the price but the ATF doesn't come knocking on my door either), that's about as far as I'm willing to go. If nothing else, I guess you could unload your weapon and mag before entering, carry the loose ammo in a pocket, check them in as you enter and reload everything once you're back outside.

It's a PITA for sure but considering all the idiots I've seen in those shows checking out weapons and "sweeping" people, I understand why they have those rules - not everyone is as safety oriented as those of us here.
    Jack

Forgot to add at our gunshow's we have to unload

Lead Moderator
    I don't carry into gun shows or other off limits places.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

If the prohibition meets the legal requirements of Texas law - nope.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    In VA it's only a trespass if they ask you to leave after you're caught carrying and do not. Depends on how far I drove to get there.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

In Missouri they can ask you to leave if found out, unless you refuse to leave things can get ugly if the cops are called but that would be stupid. Leave when and if asked and everything is good. I have never seen or heard anyone being asked to leave or ever spotted that is carrying to my knowledge in Missouri at a posted location.

I don't go to many gun shows but a few of the larger good ones. I do carry even when it's posted, (it's NOT against the law in MO).

Concealed is concealed and I will never take it out unless in imminent danger.

I believe that the no loaded weapons are mainly for the openly carried for sale or trade bate that has covered ALL gun's as far as they are concerned.

I have carried the couple times I have went to a show's, like I said concealed is concealed, not against the law and have never be even been close to anyone spotting me.

The same with convenient stores or other stores that are posted, it's NOT against the law it is just there preference and they don't have a clue when and if someone is carrying. We can even carry at posted banks if so inclined, I will only bank with non-posted banks but can and have in ones that are posted.

I follow the law, not somebody that put's a sign up in a window!

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

VIP Member
    No can do.

Plainclothes officers patrol gunshows around here looking for illegal weapons and activity. Despite the idiots sweeping the crowd (sadly true maclean3) it's probably the safest place in this country and the least likely place you would need to carry.

That said, I would be carrying if I could.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

los
    The sign would have to be Section 30.06/Penal Code compliant, otherwise I'm packing!!

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry
    I don't go to many gun shows but a few of the larger good ones. I do carry even when it's posted, (it's NOT against the law in MO).

I follow the law, not somebody that put's a sign up in a window!

Ti.
    In most states, posted property is illegal.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

jarhead79-
    That is the genius of the people that wrote our law, places can post but if ignored it is “no harm-no foul”; on the other hand I do not give $$$$ to people who are out to deprive me of god given rights. I generally do not patronize those places armed or not, I haven’t been in my favorite farm store since Missouri passed CCW because they post.

I was in Indiana this past weekend and went to the “Indy 1500” gun show, (1500 tables; 200 dealers couldn’t see it all in the 3 hours we had) left extra mags in the car, unloaded the carry mag and put ammo in coat pocket and mag in back pocket and let them “plastic tie” my piece. Once out the door I cut off the tie, reloaded and went on my way.

Bought a Galco “Sky Op” tuckable IWB, have played with it a bit anf I think I’m going to like it.

If the gun show was posted I would write a letter to the organizer(s) stating I did not enter because my right was denied. I don't support places that I can't carry.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead79
    In most states, posted property is illegal.
    Yep, Most states! Missouri you can, as F350 said. We had some pretty good law writers on our side when CCW became law again.

All they can do if found out is ask you to leave, if you refuse (why would you) they can and probably will call the cops and at that point a tresspass charge could be laid on you if after the Leo's can't talk sense into you and you leave.

I also don't patronize any post business other than a gun show or two. I still believe the posted gun shows are to keep people from bringing loaded firearms in the show to sell or trade.

Sometimes they have an unload/load area for a CCW.

Ti.
    Last edited by Ti Carry; March 21st, 2006 at 01:29 PM.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Assistant Administrator
    This is pretty state dependent. here it is not too much problem but depends rather on the scale of gun show.

Local small ones, tho they may have a notice, it is not a legal one so - if discovered it'd be a request to leave type deal. The bigger shows like Valley Forge, well last time I went there - had a check point on way in. Unload and show clear and reholster was the deal.

The Tulsa show coming up is big and no carry - that will have to be respected.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links