What if a LEO see's pocket clip on Kel Tec P3AT?

This is a discussion on What if a LEO see's pocket clip on Kel Tec P3AT? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What if a LEO is familiar with the belt clip on the Kel Tec's and they see it and the back of the gun hanging ...

Thread: What if a LEO see's pocket clip on Kel Tec P3AT?

What if a LEO is familiar with the belt clip on the Kel Tec's and they see it and the back of the gun hanging on someone’s pocket? Most people think it is a clip for a knife but since they are aware of it and they know it is a gun, is the gun considered not concealed because they can see part of it? CCW is all about being concealed.

Thanks

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    It probably depends on your state laws.

Here, it doesn't matter since open carry is legal almost everywhere that concealed carry is (there is a question about state parks I believe).

What are the laws like? Does it say something like, 'visible to a common observer'? If it's a 'normal person' type test, it may be okay.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

well, the clip is not part of the gun. However you mention the butt of the grip , then that's a different issue... not one I would recommend in most places.

In Texas the law reads as failure to conceal,It does not mean that if the wind blows your shirt against your firearm and you can see the outline you are in violation,but if you walk around with part of your gun in plain sight that somebody can visually see is a gun you will probably get cited for failure to conceal
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I do not like the idea of a clip on a gun anyway...a pocket holster provides the trigger cover not provided by a rention clip. OMO

If you can see the gun, even a small portion, you can see the gun...technically. I guess it would depend upon your state laws and the disposition of the LEO who encounters you for some other reason.

Stay armed...I wouldn't use a clip...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

hhhmmm sounds like a question for your states AG's office

Thanks for the responses so far. I also think it would be dangerous to just carry with just the clip so I use a little pocket holster on it while using the clip.

DrJ
    I have a Kel-Tek with a pocket clip. What I usually do is carry it IWB with the clip over my pants waistband about 2:00, then put my cell phone on my belt just in front - effectively conceals the clip for the most part. Pull out your shirt enough so that it drapes over the butt of the gun. Kel-Teks are pretty easy to conceal.

I have a Grendal P-10 (grand daddy to the Kel-Tecs) that I have carried in my back pocket for 20+ years and have never used a holster, 9 years of that riding on patrol with a sheriff's deputy buddy and never had a problem. One advantage a holster would provide is it would keep the exact outline of the gun from imprinting on the otside of my jeans pockets. Most people do not notice an open carried 1911 much less the imprint on a pocket, I doubt anyone is looking a my @ close enough to notice it. Besides open carry is legal in Missouri so I really do not care one wy or the other.

VIP Member
    As long as all he can see is the clip it shouldn't be a problem, however since your in a state that does not allow open carry, I would guess if the grip is exposed then you can be in trouble. Since your carrying a pocket pistol just go ahead and carry it completely concealed in your pocket, holstered of course.

It means you are too close to the Officer.....have your ID ready
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Ohio concealed carry stipulates that if the gun is carried on your person, it must be in a holster. It doesn't specify what type of holster but a clip would not be acceptable.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

THe OP is in FL. & if LEO can see cip & part of grip You better have a goog lawyer JMO
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Just got a SuperFly, my favorite so far.

jfl
    Florida is a no-OC state, but as long as the weapon is not intentionally displayed, you are OK, like vest flying open in the wind, shirt creeping up when you bend, etc.
    That's good because in 20+ years of carrying herein West Palm Beach, I would have been I trouble many, many times.
    I posted here a situation where I was coming out of the boy's room in a cafeteria where the local deputies go, and my vest was tucked behind my G-26, exposing it fully; one of the cops hinted that I should finish getting dressed, and laughed about it, that was it. I was riding my Harley that day, so I looked more like a biker than a pilot ...
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Sponsored Links