What the heck?

This is a discussion on What the heck? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have two identical shirts. Dark blue cotton ribbed knit type shirts. Only difference is one is a 3X and the other a 2X. I ...

Thread: What the heck?

Cool What the heck?

I have two identical shirts. Dark blue cotton ribbed knit type shirts. Only difference is one is a 3X and the other a 2X. I always wear a t-shirt, black preferably, under my cover shirt. I currently carry a Sig P-225 in a Galco OWB holster at 4 o'clock and 3 spare mags. When I wear the 2x my weapon doesn't print and the shirt does not hang up on the weapon. Tonight I was wearing my 3x shirt, (identical to the 2x except for the size) and twice it hung up on my weapon EXPOSING IT! Once at the races, my wife notified me of it. I got up from my seat to go down the stairs to the car, and it completely uncovered the my weapon. When I returned I observed the people in the area and no one looked directly at me so I feel that no but my wife seen it. Later as I left a convenience store at 2230, my wife again flagged to my fully exposed weapon.
    Step one to cure this is to buy a new carry belt, and step two is to switch to an IWB. No step one is to better check my cover every time I rise or change positions in an inconspicuous manner as possible.
    BTW Iowa is NOT an open carry state. So public exposure can result in problems. And if your weapon is seen you can have trouble too!
    Anyone else ever had this occur with identical garments? What other suggestions might you have avoid this problem. Obviously this shirt is no longer in my cover garment locker. Tomorrow it polishes my wifes ( she who must be obeyed) sports car.
    When the chips are down, only hits count

Train as you fight, fight as you train.
    Sig 220-45,Sig 225-9mm,Sig 226-.40,Bernelli M1,Bernelli Nova, SW 4340-.40
    Glock 19,Llama Mini .45,U-238 WMD, (so the anti's say),and others

2. Remove Ads

I use a crossbreed IWB holster,It not only presses the gun against my body,but anything below belt level is hidden inside my pants,One of the most comfortable versatile holsters I ever owned,You can also adjust the cant to find what works best for you,you may need to increase pants size to accomodate the holster
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

A larger shirt not covering your sidearm, as well as the same shirt in a smaller size, does not make any sense.
    The above suggestion of possibly using an IWB holster seems like it would help.
    I carry IWB almost exclusively, and when I wear some of my larger shirts, I button the first one or two buttons from the top. This keeps the shirt from blowing open, but does not prevent drawing the weapon.
    Just a thought.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Iowa

Summary
    Iowa is not a traditional open carry state, but no permit is required to open carry except when in vehicles or when inside city limits. Open carry in cities is technically legal with an Iowa permit to carry weapons, however Iowa is a may-issue state, and some sheriffs have indicated that they will revoke your permit for open carrying.

look like you can open carry but some sheriffs ride a high horse there
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    A larger shirt not covering your sidearm, as well as the same shirt in a smaller size, does not make any sense.
    The above suggestion of possibly using an IWB holster seems like it would help.
    I carry IWB almost exclusively, and when I wear some of my larger shirts, I button the first one or two buttons from the top. This keeps the shirt from blowing open, but does not prevent drawing the weapon.
    Just a thought.
    What, no plug for Fist? I'm disappointed in you

IWB is great. I don't think I'll ever use OWB for anything but open carry, now. With my MTAC adjusted properly, I can barely tell I am wearing it, and it is invisible.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Having 2 identical garments and having the LARGER of the two not conceal as well (ie. hanging up on your firearm) isn't as strange as it may seem. The larger, and therefore looser fitting, garment by it's very nature of not being as close fitting to the body quite literally had more room to move and shift around on your body and thus had more of a chance of getting caught up on some part or other of your gun. Sometimes when it comes to cover garments merely getting a garment of a different cut as opposed to a larger size can do the trick.

It's a trick we ladies learn quite early on in concealed carry because as you well know no woman EVER wants to have to buy sizes larger then absolutely necessary!
    Manicures: $40
    Pedicures: $60
    Range time + ammo: $50
    Quality mother/daughter time: PRICELESS

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormtruck2 View Post
    I have two identical shirts. Dark blue cotton ribbed knit type shirts. Only difference is one is a 3X and the other a 2X. I always wear a t-shirt, black preferably, under my cover shirt. I currently carry a Sig P-225 in a Galco OWB holster at 4 o'clock and 3 spare mags. When I wear the 2x my weapon doesn't print and the shirt does not hang up on the weapon. Tonight I was wearing my 3x shirt, (identical to the 2x except for the size) and twice it hung up on my weapon EXPOSING IT! Once at the races, my wife notified me of it. I got up from my seat to go down the stairs to the car, and it completely uncovered the my weapon. When I returned I observed the people in the area and no one looked directly at me so I feel that no but my wife seen it. Later as I left a convenience store at 2230, my wife again flagged to my fully exposed weapon.
    Step one to cure this is to buy a new carry belt, and step two is to switch to an IWB. No step one is to better check my cover every time I rise or change positions in an inconspicuous manner as possible.
    BTW Iowa is NOT an open carry state. So public exposure can result in problems. And if your weapon is seen you can have trouble too!
    Anyone else ever had this occur with identical garments? What other suggestions might you have avoid this problem. Obviously this shirt is no longer in my cover garment locker. Tomorrow it polishes my wifes ( she who must be obeyed) sports car.
    For summer Carry In Iowa I would recommend an ISB Holster. Normally, I Carry with OSB Paddle holsters. In Missouri, you can pretty much go where you want open carry except where prohibited, cities, etc. Printing is not normally an issue and is not defined or enforced in most situations.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Your wife has to tell you that you are exposed?
    Wake up. Pay attention.

S&W J-Frame in a pocket holster. T-shirt to parka, doesn't matter what I throw on on top! Main reason S&W 642 and the little .380 ACP and .32 ACP autos are #1 sellers in CCWs. It's nice to have a big gun, it is imperative you have a gun.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Links