the dreaded

the dreaded

This is a discussion on the dreaded within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i am just wondering how many people on this forum have ever had to use or display there weapons in self defense. i am not ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the dreaded

the dreaded

i am just wondering how many people on this forum have ever had to use or display there weapons in self defense. i am not talking about on duty leo, just the private citizen in a bad moment. also i would like to know if anyone has had more than one incident. just give a brief reason for defense.

Assistant Administrator
    Can't quote a link but we did have a thread on this a while ago. Might be hard to bring up with a search but worth a try.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I did just try some sample searches and no actual thread I can find but - if you plug in a search (advanced) with ''actual shooting'' you will get some threads I think you'll find interesting.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

i drew mine about a month ago. happened to be in the house but...
    a kid was (i guess) trying to do a snatch and grab off of my kitchen counter. we saw the door knob moving one evening while watching tv, knew we (family) were all accounted for, so i beat a hasty approach to the front door with 1911 drawn and concealed behind my leg.
    made eye contact through the door with young white male who beat his own hasty retreat across the neighboring cornfield. called LE and stayed in the house with the family after checking/securing all doors which fortunately were already locked and awaited LE arrival.
    we live in a rural area but obviously not immune to criminal activity of sorts.

not a street confrontation like the stereotype incident, but for me it got my heart pumping that evening.

thats my only "draw" story.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

i think all of us have been in a situation where we felt a sense of comfort by knowing what was hidden on our person. but fortunetly not many have had to draw. out of 78 views only one close call. seems bad things mostly happen to those who are not aware and/or prepared. twice in my life i have had guns pointed at me by bg's. once for no apparent reason other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time. the incident only lasted about 30 secs before a car came along and the bg ran away. the other i was with a friend and a guy that was mad about my friend dateing his ex pointed a snubby at us. (at the time of both of these scary times i was under age so needless to say no firearm) at the time we were about 15 feet away with nowhere to hide. after a few moments of trying to talk our way out. i relized the only way to get out was to force my buddy to create a ditraction without either of them catching it. one shot hit the grass, i got the gun and bg ran. incedent over other than the police report of course. next time i will be ready to deal with the bg withthen seconds rather then minutes

My incident happened quite a few years ago. Before Tx. Inacted CCW laws.I had been shooting in the afternoon with some friends and when we were through i placed the unloaded pistol in my car , on the passerger seat. As i made my way through town, a young man cut me off in traffic and actually forced me into the parking lot of our local grocery store. He stopped his car about 10-15 ft away from me and got out , came running over to where i was , still seated in my car trying to figure out what was going on. Anyway this young fellow had a chipping hammer in his hand and was trying to get me out of my car. I knocked him back and down with my car door .As he was getting back to his feet. I pointed my pistol at him, still unloaded, and told him if he did'nt stop i would shoot him. This was the only time he stopped cussing at me. He backed up, got back in his car and left. I took down his licence plate and reported the incident to the police. I got quite the tounge lashing from the police , Like this was my fault, and to this day i still don't know why that man did what he did. I don't carry unloaded anymore. Always some spare ammo in the glove box. Just grateful he did'nt call my bluff. I would have preferred to drive away, but i could'nt the way our cars were stopped.

Using weapon

About 25years ago my future wife and I decided to go hiking in the mountians near Tucson with her room mate and her boyfriend. Although she HATED firearms I prevailed and took along my good old S&W M29 4" 44MAG in an SOB holster. WE had hiked in on the trail for an hour when we decided to rest in a small clearing just off the trail. The other guy and I decided to let the gals sit while we headed off up a wash to look around.

We heard son noise up the trail and the sound of low voices headed our way.. so Tim and I decided we should rejoin the gals. I saw the two rough-looking guys before they saw us.. but they had seen the girls and I didn't like the way they were looking at the situation...

As the two guys entered the clearing with the girls Tim and I approached from the side... it was then I could see that one of them was armed. When they saw Tim and me the guy that was armed got a cold look in his eye and he went to draw his weapon.. at which point I walked up to him and stuck the muzzle of my 44 (which I had very rapidly drawn from behind my back) in his face. His weapon had not even cleared his holster when I screamed FREEZE!

The guy froze... but he looked back at me with an intense anger.. and no hint of any fear. I wish I could have said the same....

I very softly said that if he so much as moved I would blow his head off. He probably could see the heads of 180gr super Vels the gun was loaded with...

I directed him to slowly toss the weapon into the brush which he did... never breaking eye contact. I told him to get on the trail with his buddy and RUN.. and that if I saw him again I would kill them both.
    I was VERY scared... and he was lucky because my 29 had a 2.5 pound trigger.

As they ran off he yelled back that he was going to kill us all. I fired a round off over their heads. ( don't know how many of you remember how hot the 180gr SuperVel loads were... but it was a real blast from 4 inch barrel)

We headed out of the mountians at full speed and never looked back.

We reported the incident when we got back into the city.

My gal never again complained about me packing again... in fact when we went on a hike.. she would request it.

I am glad I didn't have to kill anyone that day... I am sure that he we not been armed we aourselves might have become victims.

All that being said... I think that at some point we can become too paranoid. In 45 years that is the only time I am sure that having a weapon saved my life... and I was in the middle of nowhere.

I grew up in Tucson where open carry was no big deal. I would wait for the school bus with rifle in one hand and ammo in the other.

I read about guys wanting to carry at school, church, everywhere. I guess I still think that if your not in a job that requires it.. or you don't live in an area that demands it, constant CCW is just a bit sad.

I now live in CA where there really is NO CCW. I admit that I would like to be able to carry when I fell it prudent... on the road trips, on the road at night. I do so.. you know... rather be judged by twelve than carried by 6... but if it got to the point that I felt I always had to be armed...

I think that CCW's are a great idea as they rquire applicants to get supervised training in weaponscraft... a great idea. I can't tell you how many gun owners I have met that have no business with a weapon as they have no idea about weapon safety.

Yes. I've discussed some of the incidents previously.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

I had a shotgun pointed at me in a convenience store holdup once. I was too young (14 Years of age) for legal weapon carry at the time. That's a moment I will not forget.

About four years ago I had arrived at work at the edge of downtown Tampa. It was still dark and the parking lot was empty. I stopped the truck, scanned the lot and got out. A man I would describe as homeless,tattered and bearded stepped from the bushes at the edge of the lot about 60 feet away from me. In his right hand a machete at his side. He took two steps toward me and stopped and smiled. I turned to face him. We stood without words for at least twenty seconds. He turned and walked away. I got back in the truck and went for breakfast. I called and reported what had happed to the Police. Never saw the tattered man again.

I've been carrying for seven years. Never had to present.
    Ask not what your country can do for you....

Assistant Administrator
    I guess I still think that if your not in a job that requires it.. or you don't live in an area that demands it, constant CCW is just a bit sad.
    hassiman, I confess to being a ''bit sad" I am working from home most of time, not a bad area but - simple fact is I want the piece to always be in the one place at all times - no need to have to remember to put it on if I go out - no need to worry that it won't be there on that million to one chance day it really is needed.

Quite simply it is an ''all or nothing'' approach I make, that is all. Not paranoia, just a resolve because I have no way of knowing what is in my future. Using the much used analogy - I see no reason to leave my truck spare wheel at home one day, because it seems like a day I won't get a flat!
    Chris - P95

Not trying to steal the tread, but...

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    hassiman, I confess to being a ''bit sad" I am working from home most of time, not a bad area but - simple fact is I want the piece to always be in the one place at all times - no need to have to remember to put it on if I go out - no need to worry that it won't be there on that million to one chance day it really is needed.

Quite simply it is an ''all or nothing'' approach I make, that is all. Not paranoia, just a resolve because I have no way of knowing what is in my future. Using the much used analogy - I see no reason to leave my truck spare wheel at home one day, because it seems like a day I won't get a flat!
    Like P95 I too carry always. I feel you never know where you might end up each day so what is the harm in being prepared for the worst? So far I have not had to draw, or even display my gun, but I have reached for it on occasion.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I've had a couple of incidents that I previously posted...One with rounds being fired. I may add, JUSTIFICATION is a key factor in all confrotations.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Chris,

Permission to use that analogy some time? That pretty much sums it up.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Assistant Administrator
    WJP - feel free!
    Chris - P95

Senior Moderator
    I guess I still think that if your not in a job that requires it.. or you don't live in an area that demands it, constant CCW is just a bit sad.
    Sad?? I think it's one of the greatest things I do!

If you don't carry always, then you are trying to predict when you will need a gun and when you won't. I remember the it-could-never-happen-here incident where a teacher and his wife were killed by two teens with a knife. The community was shocked! Later it was discovered that they went to another house first with the intent to rob and kill them, but they saw the guy was wearing a gun and they left.

I just recently read about random serial killings in another peaceful it-could-never-happen-here little neighborhood.

The fact is, we don't know when we may face a random act of violence in our home or away from home.

Getting back to the topic, I drew my gun "with intent" in my house just this week. I got home a bit early and laid down to take a short nap. I closed my bedroom door to cut out some light and dosed off. I was awakened by a noise which got me up, then came a bang on the bedroom door. I drew to low ready and watched the door open slowly. It was my wife; she got home early also and accidentally kicked the bedroom door making an awful racket.

A false alarm this time but I was very pleased that in a startle situation, I didn't at anytime point my gun at my "surprise" visitor or in any way endanger her.

Never had to and hope I never do. But I am certainly prepared to if neccesary.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links