My 4th of July CC experience with a Trooper

This is a discussion on My 4th of July CC experience with a Trooper within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I took the family to a small town fireworks event in Sedley, VA (Southampton County). Think Mayberry and you'll have a good idea of what ...

Thread: My 4th of July CC experience with a Trooper

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

My 4th of July CC experience with a Trooper

I took the family to a small town fireworks event in Sedley, VA (Southampton County). Think Mayberry and you'll have a good idea of what it was like. Couldn't get into the festival area due to traffic and time constraints so we ended up camping out on the side of the road for the show.

I was seen OCing by a handful of spectators, nobody cared. Funny, right before the 'official' fireworks kicked off, a HUGE Great Dane came bounding down the road and tried to jump into the bed of a pickup truck that was parked on the other side of the street. Scared the snot out of a couple girls!

After the show, we took off for home, and wouldn't you know it, the battery light comes on, on my wife's '04 Expedition. We just had the alternator replaced not a week ago. Sure enough, we start to lose all electrical systems. We are in bumper to bumper traffic going about 50 MPH and have no exterior lights. So we cruise along for awhile in darkness until we get to a place to pull out of traffic onto a side road, but about every fifth car turns behind us since even the lesser traveled road is a major conduit and shortcut to another highway.

I call a nearby friend for assistance as I play traffic cop with my flashlight. My wife starts lighting sparklers to use as road flares.

Many cars passed us by, one stopped to provide lighting and a buffer, turned out to be one of my son's friends and his parents from elementary school. At that point I decided to conceal, to avoid any school related issues. A few months ago another of my son's friend's family saw us OCing at a restaurant and interaction with them cooled considerably. Finally my friend shows up and devises a plan to switch our batteries so I can get the wagon home. Problem is, he drove his housemates truck, and can't find the right tools to switch the batteries.

(If this is starting to sound like the three stooges, you have no idea. I got stories that would go on for days!)

Now here comes a new addition to the party, a Trooper. I have worked with him on several car crashes so I'm pretty sure he recognized me. He offers some tools out of his tool box, and we start removing the batteries.

I see a handstamp on ny friend (SGK), and comment that he went to the gun show. We start a discussion on guns and such and the availability of ammo and components. The Trooper chimes in that they use Gold Dot. I think at that point he was feeling a little bit left out of the conversation. At this point I'm thinking the Trooper is a pretty cool dude, so I pull out my spare mag and tell them what I'm carrying. The conversation continued uninterrupted. Absolutely no problems, as it should be. I did find out that the Troopers have cut their firearms quals back from twice to once yearly due to cost. He was wishing that they would shoot more often, and I opined that they should bring in combat instructors instead of the standard draw and fire on paper targets.

Finally got the batteries switched and off to home safe and sound.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

I'm glad that ya'll made it home safe and sound.

All is well that ends well. Which my trooper experience was like that, see te signature lol. Which we had OC in Florida. It has been so dang hot lately, I want to take off my jacket so much but can't. :-(

Hi from another Paramedic,
    Got a question for you. I'm wondering do they let you carry at work? Some places do I'm just curious. The place that I work form has a don't ask don't tell policy...lol
    Take care and stay safe!!
    Patrick

Glad it turned out good for you and the family.

It stinks having car trouble, especially when you have the whole family with you.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Lousy battery luck, great Trooper interacton...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That turned out pretty good. Sucks about your car though. Take it back were you had the alt replaced. They may do something about it.

Good story, I hope you bought a new battery.

Gold dot, Hmmm

I like that trooper. I wouldn't much care for the car trouble, though. ;/

Couple of weeks ago, as my husband and I were heading out for breakfast one Saturday morning, I realized I didnt' have any proper concealed carry clothes for hot, sunny, summer weather. So, pretty much on the spur of the moment, I decided to open carry, which is legal here in Nevada in most places. Nobody seemed to care and most didn't seem to notice. I'm a middle-aged woman who looks about as scary as a friend's golden retriever, so I pretty much expected this (lack of) reaction.

Sounds like a great encounter Sorry about your vehicle problem.

At least you were able to carry. I had to dis arm to enter post to watch the show. We have a spot that we've been to last 3 years in a row. Right about 200 meters from where they launch, right underneath where they explode. AWESOME!
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Yep, have to agree that it sounded like a good encounter.. kudos!
    "Deeds Not Words" - Motto of the USS Gettysburg
    NRA Life Member
    http://www.alioofficium.com/ (Personal Responsibility)

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickemtp View Post
    Hi from another Paramedic,
    Got a question for you. I'm wondering do they let you carry at work? Some places do I'm just curious. The place that I work form has a don't ask don't tell policy...lol
    Take care and stay safe!!
    Patrick
    My work policy is somewhat ambiguous. I choose not to ask for clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by highoctane View Post
    That turned out pretty good. Sucks about your car though. Take it back were you had the alt replaced. They may do something about it.
    Oh, "may" is not an option!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Lousy battery luck, great Trooper interacton...
    ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

Most VA Troopers know the gun law and OK with CHP.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links