CCW at local high school

This is a discussion on CCW at local high school within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Freakshow: Please note in the above posts I'm applauding the posters for going to the Authoritative Source which is the recommended course of action when ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CCW at local high school

Freakshow:

Please note in the above posts I'm applauding the posters for going to the Authoritative Source which is the recommended course of action when any CC question arises. PDO is a tool, and provides summaries which can be useful, but it is not Authoritative.

It usually takes more time - but then you know!

Thank you, Doctor, and thank you, freakshow!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The problem that Packing.org has with Alabama law especially is that it is scattered over a multitude of places. The section that they have posted is the largest part of the code concerning concealed weapons, but the section that expressly forbids carry at courthouses and schools is in another place. The section that PDO has does however explain what the definition of a school is. It would be great if it was in one section, but we don't get to determine that. Having the code right here is a big benefit to me, but sometime I still have to go to the state website where the code is online and so a search to find the other obscure places that affect the main law. Started out looking at the code about knives as weapons and discover some to the oddities. The other thing that is nice about having the text is that you can then go to case law and find out how the law has been interpreted. This is especially helpful in determining about the legality of knives.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

los
    All specific State CCW related information IS contained in PDO. It just requires a little searching to get to specific State code data.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

If you have to question if you can more than once, don't do it.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Federal wording of carry on school property

IF your state allows carry on school property, Federal law also allows carry on school property AS LONG AS you have been licensed to carry and the licensing procedure essentially includes a background check (almost all states do, I believe). A snippet from 18 USC 922 (q):

(2)(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm

if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;......

Hope this helps.

A Montana LEO

Thanks for all the info guys. This is one reason why I joined this forum.

Although I may strongly disagree with the law, I will obey it.

I will leave my firearm at home when I visit the school.

i would say the Fed law superseded any loacl state laws sooooooooooo no is the answer to it all
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

There was a federal law called The Gun-Free Schools Act, but it was struck down a few years ago in a 5-4 Decision as being unconstitutional by the US Supreme Court.

Although U.S. Supreme Court ruled that law unconstitutional, our wonderful legislatures re-wrote the law, with minor revisions, and passed it again during Clinton Admin I believe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links