CCW at local high school

This is a discussion on CCW at local high school within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This weekend I will be judging a contest at a local high school in Alabama. What I have read about Alabama law indicates it is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW at local high school

CCW at local high school

This weekend I will be judging a contest at a local high school in Alabama. What I have read about Alabama law indicates it is legal for me to carry on school property as long as I have a valid handgun permit.

However, isn't there a Federal Law against CCW on school property?
    Which supercedes, Fed or State?

2. Remove Ads

Don't think you can carry on school property in Alabama. Not intirely sure, but I don't think you can.
    Crookcatchr

Theres no such thing as owning to many guns.

los
    Accurate answers to any Conceal Carry question (specific to any State) can be found in this site....

http://www.packing.org/

Here's the link specific to your question.....

http://www.packing.org/state/alabama/#stateoff_limits
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

FEDERAL LAW RULES...ALWAYS. I also don't think Alabama state law permits carrying on any state property. For example, students at The University of Alabama's various campuses are forbidden to CCW. When I graduated from BAMA it was different, but we still couldn't have firearms in the dorms. These days all CCW at Bama is forbidden. That's going to suck when I go up for the ROTC reunion and Homecoming next year.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Here's a piece I "borrowed" from PDO:

Places off-limits while carrying in Alabama

Date updated: Aug 21, 2005 @ 10:13 am

Section 13A-11-72

Premises of a public school. The term "public school" as used in this section applies only to a school composed of grades K-12 and shall include a school bus used for grades K-12

(c) Subject to the exceptions provided by Section 13A-11-74, no person shall knowingly with intent to do bodily harm carry or possess a deadly weapon on the premises of a public school.

(d) Possession of a deadly weapon with the intent to do bodily harm on the premises of a public school in violation of subsection (c) of this section is a Class C felony.

(e) Law enforcement officers are exempt from this section, and persons with pistol permits issued pursuant to Section 13A-11-75, are exempt from the provisions of subsection (c) of this section.

Section 13A-11-59

(b) It shall be unlawful for any person, other than a law enforcement officer, to have in his or her possession or on his or her person or in any vehicle any firearm while participating in or attending any demonstration being held at a public place.

Section 13A-11-59

(c) It shall be unlawful for any person, other than a law enforcement officer as defined in subsection (a) of this section, to have in his or her possession or about his or her person or in any vehicle at a point within 1,000 feet of a demonstration at a public place, any firearm after having first been advised by a law enforcement officer that a demonstration was taking place at a public place and after having been ordered by such officer to remove himself or herself from the prescribed area until such time as he or she no longer was in possession of any firearm.

It appears the answer is NO.

Good luck, Judge!

Welcome to CC!

"(e) Law enforcement officers are exempt from this section, and persons with pistol permits issued pursuant to Section 13A-11-75, are exempt from the provisions of subsection (c) of this section."

Doesn't the above imply one "can" carry on school grounds as long as they have a permit?

Since I'm still unsure, I'll probably leave weapon at home.

los
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock
    It appears the answer is NO.
    +1.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Section 13A-11-72
    Certain persons forbidden to possess pistol.

(a) No person who has been convicted in this state or elsewhere of committing or attempting to commit a crime of violence shall own a pistol or have one in his or her possession or under his or her control.

(b) No person who is a drug addict or an habitual drunkard shall own a pistol or have one in his or her possession or under his or her control.

(c) Subject to the exceptions provided by Section 13A-11-74, no person shall knowingly with intent to do bodily harm carry or possess a deadly weapon on the premises of a public school.

(d) Possession of a deadly weapon with the intent to do bodily harm on the premises of a public school in violation of subsection (c) of this section is a Class C felony.

(e)
    Law enforcement officers are exempt from this section, and persons with pistol permits issued pursuant to Section 13A-11-75, are exempt from the provisions of subsection (c) of this section.

(f) The term "public school" as used in this section applies only to a school composed of grades K-12 and shall include a school bus used for grades K-12.

(g) The term "deadly weapon" as used in this section means a firearm or anything manifestly designed, made, or adapted for the purposes of inflicting death or serious physical injury, and such term includes, but is not limited to, a bazooka, hand grenade, missile, or explosive or incendiary device; a pistol, rifle, or shotgun; or a switch-blade knife, gravity knife, stiletto, sword, or dagger; or any club, baton, billy, black-jack, bludgeon, or metal knuckles.
    (Acts 1936, Ex. Sess., No. 82, p. 51; Code 1940, T. 14, §174; Acts 1951, No. 784, p. 1378; Code 1975, §13-6-152; Acts 1994, 1st Ex. Sess., No. 94-817, §1.)

Section 13A-11-75

License to carry pistol in vehicle or concealed on person - Issuance; term; form; fee; revocation.

The sheriff of a county may, upon the application of any person residing in that county, issue a qualified or unlimited license to such person to carry a pistol in a vehicle or concealed on or about his person within this state for not more than one year from date of issue, if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to his person or property or has any other proper reason for carrying a pistol, and that he is a suitable person to be so licensed. The license shall be in triplicate, in form to be prescribed by the Secretary of State, and shall bear the name, address, description and signature of the licensee and the reason given for desiring a license. The original thereof shall be delivered to the licensee, the duplicate shall, within seven days, be sent by registered or certified mail to the Director of Public Safety and the triplicate shall be preserved for six years by the authority issuing the same. The fee for issuing such license shall be $1.00 which shall be paid into the county treasury. The sheriff may revoke a license upon proof that the licensee is not a proper person to be licensed.
    (Acts 1936, Ex. Sess., No. 82, p. 51; Code 1940, T. 14, §177; Acts 1947, No. 616, p. 463, §5; Acts 1951, No. 784, p. 1378; Code 1975, §13-6-155.)

Good question, but you also need to be aware of Section 13A-11-72(d): I believe (d) is the "penalty" provision, and I can read the difference in the law, but why would (e) then not state "(c) and (d) do not apply..."? It all revolves around some distinctions I'm certainly not comfortable making.

I would not, personally, based on the above, but I am very conservative. Alabama residents with experience?

Dr_CMG? Others?

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Man, for them to say it's ok to carry at school, they sure put a lot of rules to go along with it.

OFFICIAL TERMINOLOGY:

Legal Mumbo Jumbo
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

IMO the wording seems to say that it is OK to carry on school property as long as one doesn't have the "intent" of shooting someone.

Just to be on safe side (of law) I've decided to go unarmed that day.

VIP Member
    In the case of conflicting laws, what I've seen happen in the past is the local LE doesn't arrest you, but they write a report and forward it to the feds (FBI, ATF, etc) and then THEY may decide to follow up and arrest you later.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Assistant Administrator
    Doncha love ''grey'' laws!!!

Sorta - ''yes ya can but - yada, yada, yada - see subsection C paragraph 6 iii - codicil z.''
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member

The Answer Is NO

I do not know about your "State Pistol Permit," but mine in Perry County lists Qualifications. Filed in by the Sheriff's Office are Car and Person meaning that I am qualified to carry concealed on my person and in my vehicle. Printed on the permit at the time it is printed are the following words: "No courthouses or schools." Section 13(a)-11-72 of the Alabama Criminal Code explains what "schools" in that statement means. It says, "Premises of a public school." It then explains what it means by "public school." "The term "public school" as used in this section applies only to a shcool composed of grades K-12 and shall include a school bus used for grades K-12."

My information comes not from Packing.org which is a good organization, but from a copy of the Alabama Code in the library where I work as the reference librarian.

The answer is: NO!
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg

My information comes not from Packing.org which is a good organization, but from a copy of the Alabama Code in the library where I work as the reference librarian.
    Doctor: Thanks for helping our understanding of Alabama law! You the man!

Regarding Federal Law:

from handgunlaw.us (better than packing.org, seems it is plaugued by crashes)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/batf_school_zone.pdf
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links