PastorPack gets Pulled Over

This is a discussion on PastorPack gets Pulled Over within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Driving home from a 4th of July weekend at the in-laws. We brought the pop-up trailer along for sleeping quarters. Driving home at about 10:00PM ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PastorPack gets Pulled Over

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar

Driving home from a 4th of July weekend at the in-laws. We brought the pop-up trailer along for sleeping quarters. Driving home at about 10:00PM I was traveling 55 in a 55 so not worried but the lights came on behind me. It turned out that my trailer parking lights weren't working, only brake and turn signals.

The vey polite county Sheriff's Deputy expressed that he didn't want me to get rear-ended. I showed him my CCW and said "You might want to look at this." He thanked me and then proceeded to help me briefly check my lights. Let me go with my hazards on and no ticket. My only regret is that I didn't get his name so that I could write a thank you letter to his supervisor.

Never asked to see my EDC which was on my hip in a Blackhawk Serpa under an untucked polo.

Time to get the trailer wiring checked out.

So, my take is that even though California does not require notification, I feel like it was a courtesy to the Deputy and that he reciprocated that courtesy to me. What do you think? Also, do you find that you keep the speed limit more when carrying?
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Sounds like a great stop to me...no ticket, and no excitement about the CCW...just as it should be.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Hmmm, maybe you can write his dept and just mention the Officer who pulled you over on Interstate ## at 10pm. I'm sure they can easily figure out who it was.

As far as your query about driving slower while carrying? I drive normally which is to say like an old man, that's according to anybody who rides with me. Seems nobody can tolerate just going the speed limit anymore.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

That is the way it should be.. Good reports are good to read,. To often we hear only the bad,. I thank everyone that posts up the good reports,...

As far as your speeding question,. I don't know,. There isn't a time when I'm not carrying... How do you gauge that when it is one sided.. :-)

Always check your lights before heading out on the road.

Glad everything went well and the officer was kind enough not to write you a ticket. However if the finances in CA continue on the trend they currently are, then the days of warnings may be numbered.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

As it should be, glad to hear of another LEO with common sense about CCing.

Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    ... Also, do you find that you keep the speed limit more when carrying?
    Interesting you should ask that. I almost always drive the speed limit - which drives my son crazy. Due to the number of passengers, we had to take two vehicles to the NASCAR race last weekend (Louden) and he followed me there. For the ride home, he said, "see you there".

As we came over a small hill, there were flashing lights on the side of the road. My wife jokingly says, "I wonder if that's Chuck". Well, it sure was. We waved as we went by.

When he got home, I told him, "Sometimes going the speed limit gets you there faster".
    Nill illigitimi carborundum
    -----------------------------
    Captain von Trapp: If the Nazis take over Austria, I have no doubt, Herr Zeller, that you will be the entire trumpet section.
    Herr Zeller: You flatter me, Captain.
    Captain von Trapp: Oh, how clumsy of me - I meant to accuse you.

Slow and steady wins the race!!
    Proofread before you post!!! A reminder to me.

PM
    Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    Also, do you find that you keep the speed limit more when carrying?
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SGCasey View Post
    When he got home, I told him, "Sometimes going the speed limit gets you there faster".
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccur View Post
    Slow and steady wins the race!!
    Cheaper too!! I got busted for 55 in a 45 about a month ago (was not carrying was on company time) the fine was $30 the court costs $75 for a total of $105!! I heard that same ticket after July 1 would cost $116 ---- gee does having five people sitting on their assets cost that much!!?!?

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Awesome. I must say that I am surprised that in CA you didn't get more grief. I am glad it went the way it did though!

I try to drive with some sanity, though some of that is all of the speed cameras here in AZ.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    However if the finances in CA continue on the trend they currently are, then the days of warnings may be numbered.
    Ha Ha, so true. If it had been a California Highway Patrol, I'd have probably been cited.

Sounds good. Hope you got your trailer lights fixed.

As a retired cop, I would have already assumed you were armed. With today's stress the young LEO's experience already, I would NEVER inform or hand over my card unless asked. Far too many ways for the guys to over react. Unless the law requires it, I'd leave well enough alone.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    As a retired cop, I would have already assumed you were armed. With today's stress the young LEO's experience already, I would NEVER inform or hand over my card unless asked. Far too many ways for the guys to over react. Unless the law requires it, I'd leave well enough alone.
    That's why I went with the "You might want to look at this" line instead of something like "I've got a gun."

I also think that your personal appearance, behavior/demeanor have a lot to do with it.

Indeed it does. I still wouldn't have let you leave with no tail lights! ;-)
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links