Carry in NC. with a Florida non-resident CCW permit

This is a discussion on Carry in NC. with a Florida non-resident CCW permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys question here. I currently live in NJ. and I know I cannot carry in this state my question is If I have a ...

Hey guys question here. I currently live in NJ. and I know I cannot carry in this state my question is If I have a Florida non-resident ccw permit and I move to NC. can I legally carry using my Florida permit?

VIP Member
    Touchy situation. While NC does recognize FL non resident permits, not sure they will honor it for a resident of NC. I believe most states require residents to have a license issued by the state. You might want to contact NC State Police to see the legality of a resident carrying on an out of state license.

Smile

You would obviously have to change your address with FL before anything could remotely be legal. I would then pursue the NC permit so that all of your bases were covered. It is much less than the FL in cost and covers 30+ states as well. Check with the NC Attorney Generals office for regulations.

Armydad

You can legally carry, however NC state law says that 60 days after moving here you must have your license, etc changed to this state. At which point you will need to go through a NC CCH class.
    | Type 01 FFL / SOT |
    | NC CHP Instructor | NRA Pistol Instructor |

Yeah. I would say obtain a resident NC CCWP. Simplifies things alot.

And you can OC here, if your into that.
    "Welcome to Tennessee, the great state of shootin' stuff." Mark Wahlberg The Shooter
    "It's like killin' roaches, You hafta kill 'em all, otherwise whats the point." Charlie Bronson Death Wish 3

So long as you change the address on your Florida Non-resident permit, you can carry in NC as a resident of NC.

While the NC AG's website states that residents of of NC must have an NC permit, that is NOT the law. NC law makes no distinction between resident and non-resident permits from other states and has no provision restricting NC residents to NC permits.

I live in NC and carry on VA and FL non-res permits. I have discussed the issue with my local Sheriff and he agreed that since those permits are valid for me to use, and I already had them, there was not point in spending more money for an NC permit.

The only reason to get an NC permit is to purchase handguns without having to get a purchase permit for each handgun you want to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by tflhndn View Post
    So long as you change the address on your Florida Non-resident permit, you can carry in NC as a resident of NC.

While the NC AG's website states that residents of of NC must have an NC permit, that is NOT the law. NC law makes no distinction between resident and non-resident permits from other states and has no provision restricting NC residents to NC permits.

I live in NC and carry on VA and FL non-res permits. I have discussed the issue with my local Sheriff and he agreed that since those permits are valid for me to use, and I already had them, there was not point in spending more money for an NC permit.

The only reason to get an NC permit is to purchase handguns without having to get a purchase permit for each handgun you want to buy.
    This is correct information.
    I had my Florida permit for 15 years I moved to NC 3 years ago and was told by the person in charge of Handgun Permits in Guilford County as Long as the state you are coming from issues NON RESIDENT permits you are 100 percent legal in NC. I now have a Florida Non Resident permit and a NC permit.because I travel to SC my Florida permit was not valid there so I got the NC permit.

How difficult was it to get the change of address on the florida permit when you moved to NC? How long did it take?

you can do it online it's fast and easy.
    Here's the link

https://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/li...hgaddr790.html

Links