Just walked down Bourbon St NOLA!!!

This is a discussion on Just walked down Bourbon St NOLA!!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If there ever was somewhere I wanted to carry it was here...but I adhered to the law due to the fact that we would be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just walked down Bourbon St NOLA!!!

Just walked down Bourbon St NOLA!!!

If there ever was somewhere I wanted to carry it was here...but I adhered to the law due to the fact that we would be in places that serve alcohol..(I don't drink tho)....I am in New Orleans working and it was the first time I have ever been on Bourbon St....definitely some different kinds of people down there...the walk to the Hard Rock and back to the hotel was pretty dark and made your senses go on red alert... I guess I am too much of a small town guy....Robbie

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    I visited in 1980 or so, and felt as though I had a target painted on my back. I doubt it has improved.

I'll buy the CDs for the music... and I'll leave the skin shows for others [shudder].
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

I definitely know what a mean...I got approached by someone that I am not sure was a guy or gal...make ya walk alot faster....

Quote Originally Posted by southarkrob View Post
    I definitely know what a mean...I got approached by someone that I am not sure was a guy or gal...make ya walk alot faster....
    Yeah, you gotta check 'em early in the deal.

VIP Member
    It may have not been neither guy or gal.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by kingdaddyoh View Post
    Yeah, you gotta check 'em early in the deal.

I was in the CG back in the 70's and saw my first 'show barker' for some female impersonator show out on the street. (didn't go in)

The gal? was absolutely gorgeous...until HE opened his mouth and said something like, (use a James Earl Jones voice) "Hello honey, want to come in and see the show?"

I couldn't believe it!
    Keep in mind that this was probably 35 years ago...think about the values back then...I didn't even know such people existed.

I still can't get that image out of my mind.

Even back then, one had to watch where you walked and dare not stray from the main areas.

(Should have kept the place flooded a few years ago...OMO)
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; July 7th, 2009 at 12:11 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar

Walking Down Canal Street Half Past Four

etc etc etc

was a famous song when I was in the Navy or was that the Boy Scouts.

My Seabee Battalion was home ported in Gulfport, Mississippi, a long hour from N'awlans. Young and dumb used to get us over there more than we should. We would do the French Quarter. Finish with chicory coffee and beignets at the Cafe du Monde in the wee hours then drive back in time for quarters. Dumb doesn't begin to describe it.

Relax and have fun, New Orleans is a one of a kind place. stay in the more populated areas of the French Quarter and you'll be fine. Do not go into Armstrong Park, day or night, as long as you're in the Quarter you're ok,

Don't forget to eat, a lot, in every hole in the wall you can find. N.O isn't full of fat people for nothing.......Masperos has great sandwiches on Decatur, also Tujaques is very good (BBQ shrimp that'll make a blind man see!). Up Canal st ,near Carrollton try Mandinas (catch a cab, not walking distance from the Quarter), the Trout Almandine is yummy.
    Last edited by PNUT; July 7th, 2009 at 02:12 AM.

Weird people!

You must have been at Bourbon and St Ann st! Been there!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    Relax and have fun, New Orleans is a one of a kind place. stay in the more populated areas of the French Quarter and you'll be fine. Do not go into Armstrong Park, day or night, as long as you're in the Quarter you're ok,

Don't forget to eat, a lot, in every hole in the wall you can find. N.O isn't full of fat people for nothing.......Masperos has great sandwiches on Decatur, also Tujaques is very good (BBQ shrimp that'll make a blind man see!). Up Canal st ,near Carrollton try Mandinas (catch a cab, not walking distance from the Quarter), the Trout Almandine is yummy.
    Agreed. My wife and I go there as a getaway quite a bit. No serious problems for either of us ever, we have had a couple of very minor encounters with strangers about essentially nothing. We aren't into the late-night bar scenes, we're back at our hotel by 10 pm.

Stay with the crowds, don't wander down dark streets alone, enjoy the food.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

We got to a point on Bourbon St and we decided it would be a good idea to turn around...I didn't know some of those kinda shops existed in the US... was a neat experience for this country boy. We ate at the Hard Rock...Bourbon St stunk so bad that I couldn't imagine eating there... I could only imagine what it is like during Mardi Gras...what really amazed me was that people had little children on Bourbon St...who would take little kids there...

"We got to a point on Bourbon St and we decided it would be a good idea to turn around"

LOL.....Ooops, forgot to warn you about that, stay to the low side of the 900 block. Bourbon St does have a "unique" smell, a lot of it is the police horses, they don't wear diapers....yuck.

Bourbon St. is the safest place in N/O. Lots of cops to protect the tourists.
    French Quarter, okay. Go a half a mile in any direction and you'll find rubble still piled up from Katrina, and the "locals" hanging out.
    New Orleans is it's own worst enemy. A lot of good people, but everyone is waiting for the nanny state to do their work. Pick up your own trash people!
    Hell, if you don't have a job, you can meet the garbage truck and throw stuff in!
    I tried to find a liquor store (don't laugh) so I put it in the GPS. "Oh, there's one 1/2 mile from the Superdome!" Bad idea. Suffice it to say I didn't stop the car.

Bourbon St stunk so bad that I couldn't imagine eating there...
    Yes, it is overload on the senses. Good and bad, all in the same block.

I'd avoid the bars, and CCW. There have been a good bit of armed robberies even during broad daylight. NOLA is a beautiful and unique place. I've lived in south LA all my life. It's ashame that the city has to carry the stigma of "sugar Ray Nagin" and his self-proclaimed 'chocolate city'. The idiot even said that the 'murder capital' label was good for NO....What a dummy.....There are plenty of places to visit AROUND NOLA...Enjoy your stay, bro.

Spent 3 days in NO the June before Katrina. Walked to Bourbon St. Didn't go very far and turned around. I, too, come from a small (town of 10,000 people) and saw things that I didn't know about...........................

wyo-man

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links