Interesting stats

This is a discussion on Interesting stats within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In light of several discussions that have taken place on the board lately, about who should or should not carry weapons, here goes...... Trust the ...

Thread: Interesting stats

Interesting stats

In light of several discussions that have taken place on the board lately, about who should or should not carry weapons, here goes......

Trust the People: The Case Against Gun Control

" Even if the numbers of criminal deaths were the proper measure of anticrime efficacy, citizens acting with full legal justification kill at least 30 percent more criminals than do the police.[44]

On the whole, citizens are more successful gun users than are the police. When police shoot, they are 5.5 times more likely to hit an innocent person than are civilian shooters.[45] Moreover, civilians use guns effectively against criminals. If a robbery victim does not defend himself, the robbery will succeed 88 percent of the time, and the victim will be injured 25 percent of the time. If the victim resists with a gun, the robbery "success" rate falls to 30 percent, and the victim injury rate falls to 17 percent. No other response to a robbery--from using a knife, to shouting for help, to fleeing--produces such a low rate of victim injury and robbery success.[46] In short, virtually all Americans who use guns do so responsibly and effectively, notwithstanding the anxieties of gun control advocates. "
    Last edited by PNUT; July 7th, 2009 at 02:01 AM.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    In light of several discussions that have taken place on the board lately, about who should or should carry weapons, here goes......

Trust the People: The Case Against Gun Control

" Even if the numbers of criminal deaths were the proper measure of anticrime efficacy, citizens acting with full legal justification kill at least 30 percent more criminals than do the police.[44]

On the whole, citizens are more successful gun users than are the police. When police shoot, they are 5.5 times more likely to hit an innocent person than are civilian shooters.[45] Moreover, civilians use guns effectively against criminals. If a robbery victim does not defend himself, the robbery will succeed 88 percent of the time, and the victim will be injured 25 percent of the time. If the victim resists with a gun, the robbery "success" rate falls to 30 percent, and the victim injury rate falls to 17 percent. No other response to a robbery--from using a knife, to shouting for help, to fleeing--produces such a low rate of victim injury and robbery success.[46] In short, virtually all Americans who use guns do so responsibly and effectively, notwithstanding the anxieties of gun control advocates. "
    Amen!

Bravo PNUT.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Sweet,...

"Three-fifths of the prisoners studied said that a criminal would not attack a potential victim who was known to be armed."

On the topic of whether I would wear logo clothing that would give the impression that I am a "gun nut" or concealed carrier, I was totally against. The above quote has given me a little pause.

Fenominal article by the way.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch, Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote"
    --Benjamin Franklin

"Chop your own wood, and it will warm you twice."
    --Henry Ford

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Very long read but most definetly worth the effort. Thanks PNUT
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Thanks guys but I didn't find the article, Jetpilot did, I just read the whole thing and cut out a part that I thought we should all see.

Cato Study

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Perhaps, but well worth the read. This is one which deserves reposting once a month so that those who might miss it have an opportunity to read it. It's now in my list of favorites.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Thanks for the info.....Enlightening

This is the kind of information that brought me on board...I used to lean more to the side of gun control but I simply couldn't argue with some of these statistics. Throw in the story about Switzerland, which I find very convincing, due to their reputation as neutral 'pacifists" and you have a much more convincing argument.

Armed responsible citizens, it's like having free cops. (who apparently shoot better... :) )

A great analysis. However, did anyone else catch that it was written 21 years ago? How sad that the antis never read it back then, and will almost definitely never read it now...
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Links