Defensive Carry banner

Interesting stats

1K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  gwhall57 
#1 · (Edited)
In light of several discussions that have taken place on the board lately, about who should or should not carry weapons, here goes......

Trust the People: The Case Against Gun Control

" Even if the numbers of criminal deaths were the proper measure of anticrime efficacy, citizens acting with full legal justification kill at least 30 percent more criminals than do the police.[44]

On the whole, citizens are more successful gun users than are the police. When police shoot, they are 5.5 times more likely to hit an innocent person than are civilian shooters.[45] Moreover, civilians use guns effectively against criminals. If a robbery victim does not defend himself, the robbery will succeed 88 percent of the time, and the victim will be injured 25 percent of the time. If the victim resists with a gun, the robbery "success" rate falls to 30 percent, and the victim injury rate falls to 17 percent. No other response to a robbery--from using a knife, to shouting for help, to fleeing--produces such a low rate of victim injury and robbery success.[46] In short, virtually all Americans who use guns do so responsibly and effectively, notwithstanding the anxieties of gun control advocates. "

See less See more
#2 ·
In light of several discussions that have taken place on the board lately, about who should or should carry weapons, here goes......

Trust the People: The Case Against Gun Control

" Even if the numbers of criminal deaths were the proper measure of anticrime efficacy, citizens acting with full legal justification kill at least 30 percent more criminals than do the police.[44]

On the whole, citizens are more successful gun users than are the police. When police shoot, they are 5.5 times more likely to hit an innocent person than are civilian shooters.[45] Moreover, civilians use guns effectively against criminals. If a robbery victim does not defend himself, the robbery will succeed 88 percent of the time, and the victim will be injured 25 percent of the time. If the victim resists with a gun, the robbery "success" rate falls to 30 percent, and the victim injury rate falls to 17 percent. No other response to a robbery--from using a knife, to shouting for help, to fleeing--produces such a low rate of victim injury and robbery success.[46] In short, virtually all Americans who use guns do so responsibly and effectively, notwithstanding the anxieties of gun control advocates. "
Amen!

#5 ·
"Three-fifths of the prisoners studied said that a criminal would not attack a potential victim who was known to be armed."

On the topic of whether I would wear logo clothing that would give the impression that I am a "gun nut" or concealed carrier, I was totally against. The above quote has given me a little pause.

Fenominal article by the way.

#8 ·
Thanks guys but I didn't find the article, Jetpilot did, I just read the whole thing and cut out a part that I thought we should all see.

#11 ·
This is the kind of information that brought me on board...I used to lean more to the side of gun control but I simply couldn't argue with some of these statistics. Throw in the story about Switzerland, which I find very convincing, due to their reputation as neutral 'pacifists" and you have a much more convincing argument.

Armed responsible citizens, it's like having free cops. (who apparently shoot better... :) )

#12 ·
A great analysis. However, did anyone else catch that it was written 21 years ago? How sad that the antis never read it back then, and will almost definitely never read it now...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.