Just curious about something

This is a discussion on Just curious about something within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I really want to become a police officer, so I was wondering if I really needed to go through the expense and hassle of applying ...

I really want to become a police officer, so I was wondering if I really needed to go through the expense and hassle of applying for a CCW, because I'd be permitted to carry a weapon as an off-duty police officer. But I just thought of something. If I was traveling outside of my jurisdiction I would need a CCW, right? There are LEOs on this forum, correct? Not sure if this really goes on this forum, but I'm also not sure if I want to take this to a forum dedicated to law enforcement.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Actually you're in luck if you become a police officer. During the Bush administration congress passed and Pres. Bush signed into law a bill which allows active duty, sworn police officers to carry concealed anywhere in the nation, Puerto Rico and American Samoa. You would only need to carry your police ID. Good luck to you!
    Last edited by automatic slim; July 7th, 2009 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Additional information.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

As a sworn LEO, one is covered in carrying concealed outside their jurisdiction under the LEOSA act. However even though I am covered under LEOSA, I still have my CCW as well.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    In Texas even as a LEO you would be subject to a background check for a new firearm. With a CHL would would not. In Texas as an LEO you could get your CHL for 25 bucks for 4 years.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    As a sworn LEO, one is covered in carrying concealed outside their jurisdiction under the LEOSA act. However even though I am covered under LEOSA, I still have my CCW as well.
    If you don't mind me asking, how come? What are the benefits of having a CCW as opposed to carrying under LEOSA? Just trying to decide if it's worth a hundred and sixty-seven bucks, which is how much it would cost in FL (including the training course.)
    Ron Paul 2012

Personally I would not get a new CCW Permit while I was applying for a job in law enforcement.

Like the Army, if your new employer wants you to know something, they will tell you. If they want you to do something, they will tell you. You will muddy up the waters with your new CCW Permit, and look like a guy that wants to get in to law enforcement just to carry a gun and shoot people.

Sorry, but that's how it looks. As far as carrying outside of your jurisdiction, you will learn about that after you get the job and pass your qualifications. Gun Enthusiast are generally not looked upon fondly when going through the hiring expirience or the Academy, IME.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, how come? What are the benefits of having a CCW as opposed to carrying under LEOSA? Just trying to decide if it's worth a hundred and sixty-seven bucks, which is how much it would cost in FL (including the training course.)
    I'm not LEO, but one benefit I can see of having a CCW also, is if you should decide to cease being LEO or God forbid you don't make it. Or maybe you don't want to carry your police ID everywhere. (caution: tin foil hat area)

Joker1

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Personally I would not get a new CCW Permit while I was applying for a job in law enforcement.

Like the Army, if your new employer wants you to know something, they will tell you. If they want you to do something, they will tell you. You will muddy up the waters with your new CCW Permit, and look like a guy that wants to get in to law enforcement just to carry a gun and shoot people.

Sorry, but that's how it looks. As far as carrying outside of your jurisdiction, you will learn about that after you get the job and pass your qualifications. Gun Enthusiast are generally not looked upon fondly when going through the hiring expirience or the Academy, IME.

Biker
    I should clarify something. I'm not going to apply for a couple years, because 1) I am not in shape for police work 2) I'm going to Japan to study Aikido in a couple of years (they have a intense training course called the senshusei program that's designed to turn you into a black belt in just under a year.)

So, I'd be applying for a CCW, than two years later applying to be a police officer. I'm just trying to decide if it's worth it, because while I'm overseas I won't be able to use my CCW, and then when I get back I'll be applying to be an LEO.

EDIT: Also, as for my motivation for having a CCW and becoming an LEO, I want to protect myself and I also feel an obligation to protect the community at large. Also, the application for my local department asks if you have previous firearms experience. We're in a very pro-gun area, so I don't see it being a problem.
    Ron Paul 2012

As others have stated.... should you not want to carry your LEO ID. In my case I had mine (CCW) prior to my assignment, and chose to continue to keep it current.
    Last edited by Conrad; July 7th, 2009 at 03:54 PM. Reason: ease of reading

Also, as for my motivation for having a CCW and becoming an LEO, I want to protect myself and I also feel an obligation to protect the community at large.
    Do the part in bold after you have sworn an oath, not with a CCW.

The first part I can certainly understand. As far as Japan, have fun.

Biker

Biker
    Yes, that's what I meant. I was answering each question in turn. Sorry if the way I worded it was confusing.

Thanks! It will be my first time traveling to another continent, so I'm psyched!
    Ron Paul 2012

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar

Biker
    I agree.
    Jerry

VIP Member
    I went to Illinois with my bro n law who is a sheriff in Florida. I had to disarm, he was able to carry....... Can you say "jealous"?
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

I should clarify something. I'm not going to apply for a couple years, because 1) I am not in shape for police work 2) I'm going to Japan to study Aikido in a couple of years (they have a intense training course called the senshusei program that's designed to turn you into a black belt in just under a year.)
    Oh I think you are going to enjoy that very much. I started studying Tomiki Aikido when I was 17. I reached 1st Degree Brown but lost interest as you do at that age and never completed it. Started a family instead. (19 with low wages, ewww). I've thought about going back and finishing it but I'm not in shape for it anyone. Athritis and two fused vertebrae, I wouldn't be able to take the air falls anymore.

You have fun though and keep us updated on how it goes.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Expense of a CCW? In Alabama - Mobile County - It takes about 20 - 30 min's if the place is not crowded & $20 dollars. Get it while you wait. They run you on their system to see if any prior's (felon or whatever) - you pay - they take your picture - laminate it - and away you go.

I am aware of other states where this isn't the case - and yes - If I were going for that job (LEO) I'd save my money and just do that.
    For God, Family and Country!

Links