Ice cream run

This is a discussion on Ice cream run within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went to the local supermarket at about 10:45pm they close at 11pm for that icecream and TP run with my daughter, when I noticed the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice cream run

Ice cream run

Went to the local supermarket at about 10:45pm they close at 11pm for that icecream and TP run with my daughter, when I noticed the cashier (who I've known years) looked uneasy with a young man checking out, we walked by and into a isle with a view as I realized I left so fast to get there before closing I wasn't packing.
    Boy if that's not a wake up call, I don't know what is, so decide to be good witness if anything went down.
    The young man left without any trouble, whew, finshed shopping and when checking out I asked her what was up?
    Apparently the kid was caught shoplifting before, so she was just watching him close. Needless to say I should have had my gun, I really don't want to be in that position again just in case something did happen.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

1952 - 2006
    In my opinion, even if you had been armed, the best thing you could have done is get out of the store with your daughter.

Even when carrying (maybe especially so) the safety of yourself and your family is the paramount issue. Not stopping a BG.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    +1 ACParmed Remember that you are number 1, your family is number 2, and only then do you worry about protecting others.
    Curry

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Your smart enough to put up the above thread. You know what you did right or wrong. You don't need a spankin' for it. >>>>>> STAY SAFE ------

What ya did was good sometimes ya cant always remember.

i left to walk the dog without a gun yesterday.

Tired i guess, either it was too cold for dog or he didn't feel safe without me having a gun it was our shortest walk yet
    he went so far sat down and wouldn't move from that spot till i said lets go home

Administrator

I made that same error years ago & landing smack right into a really potentially dangerous situation.
    It really hit me hard that I made what (could have been) a very serious goof.
    Now...I carry even if I'm only going someplace close to home.

DITTO: that any equation radically changes when you have one of your children with you.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

We all punish ourselves more than need be, so no spanking needed!

My wife and I never knew we could deal out death if needed, until we had babies in the house. She was the one "Don't mess with the cubs!"

Well said everybody. The way things are getting today we need some form of defence. Ill be carrying more this year than I ever have. Stay safe and have a great day. BTW glad everything went ok for ya Sixgun

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I bought a small,very light pistol,that is my dedicated "just grab it outta the top draw and drop it into my pocket when I'm gonna make a very quick trip to the corner store or walk out to the front mail box,gun. This weapon is NOT a BUG.It will never be used as a BUG. But it is carried quite a bit by me during my quick trips to where ever. If your weapon is too heavy,too big,or some place that you have to go an extra 10 ft. to get it,you wont. For me it hasta be quickly grabable.

Now it's like my watch. If I don't have a firearm on my person I can tell it right away.

I have a friend that is somewhat older than I, that has a 24 X24 inch sign just inside his garage door(only visable from inside the garage) that sez...."GUN ??" I figure in 30 or 40 years I will have to make a sign like that for............ MY WIFE ! ----------

Found myself in a similar situation yesterday. The college I go to does not allow CCW, and I'd really rather not be expelled so I leave my Commander at home. Yesterday my brother and I went to look at a two unit income property that's for sale. We left straight from campus to get there on time to meet the realtor. The problem is the tenants are still living there. The downstairs tenants knew we were coming and were not at home, so that was no problem. The upstairs tenants, however, were at home and one of them was most definitely certifiably insane. She let us in, then began going through a litany of greivances directed at no one in particular. She was just mad at the world and wanted someone to take it out on. I felt practically naked without that pistol on my hip. We left quickly and fortunately there was no harm done, but it was a scary experience all the same.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Granted I've not been "carrying" very long, but I've already established a fixed routine.

When the pants go on, the gun goes on.

No exceptions!

I cannot carry at work, but the gun makes the trip with me and waits locked up in the truck. I do wear a folder with my scrubs at work, any other time, I'll put my G23 on before I put my shoes on.

For me, there is no "I forgot to put it on before I ran out the door." Since I ain't going out that door without my pants, I ain't going out unarmed.

I'm sitting here at the computer at home, right now, safe and sound.
    Armed!

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

VIP Member
    I classify myself as a 24X7 carrier. There are a few times when I do not have a firearm on my person. 1) When I am in bed. One is on the night stand not more than 6 inches from the edge of the bed. 2) In the shower. It is still on the night stand less than 18 inches from the bathroom door. If there were a problem with the shower in the bathroom attached to our bedroom and I had to take a shower in the guest bathroom a firearm would be in the bathroom with me. These are the only regular times I do not have a firearm on my person. The irregular times are when I am in a place where carrying is prohibited by law.

When I get out of bed I usually put on a warm up suit (spring and fall a light one and during winter one that is insulated) and slip the Kel-Tec P-32 into the right front pocket. As the weather gets warmer I move a pair of denim shorts and follow the same routine of slipping the Kel-Tec into the pocket. I eat breakfast, I shave, I brush my teeth, etc. wearing the shorts or the pants of the warm up suit at least. I work at a college and I carry while there. When I come home from work I normally change into a pair of jeans and swap the concealed unit I wear at work for a paddle holster and either put on a light wind breaker or untuck my shirt to cover it. I also swap the Kel-Tec to my jeans. It is carried while at work as well. There are a few times I go out that I carry only the Kel-Tec. On Sunday's I carry only the Kel-Tec to church. It is in my pocket when I teach Sunday School, when I lead music, and, if the pastor is away, when I preach. When I come in from church I change to jeans, tranfer the Kel-Tec and put on the paddle. There have been a few occasions when I have forgotten to put on my watch, but none when I have forgotten to put on my firearm. I don't say that it will not happen only that it has not. I make a concerted effort to be armed at all times.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Assistant Administrator
    Rick - I doubt you'd have wanted to get involved anyways had anything gone down but for sure I can identify with your feeling of unsease - even to the point that should you for some reason have been in a line of fire, it was not just you to protect.

Some know I carry what I call 16/7 - same as George really - in other words all waking hours. I regard the rig like my wrist watch - goes on mornings - comes off nights. Even so I do a ''pat'' routine before leaving home - flashlight, gun and wallet - all must be present.

I do not ever want to reach down to find an empty holster, expecting the gun to be there.

Won't be long before I have to be travelling so - going to be nekkid then a while - don't relish it I must say!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by BCurry1
    +1 ACParmed Remember that you are number 1, your family is number 2, and only then do you worry about protecting others.
    Actually, to me, Family is #1 and then me. But otherwise agree.
    Randy
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by ka0azs
    Actually, to me, Family is #1 and then me. But otherwise agree.
    That's what came to my mind, but I think the idea is that if you don't defend yourself, you can't defend anyone else. Sort of like on the airlines where they tell you to put your own oxygen mask on before you help anyone else.

KC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links