I have a lot of customers that I "cant carry" into...what should I do? - Page 2

I have a lot of customers that I "cant carry" into...what should I do?

This is a discussion on I have a lot of customers that I "cant carry" into...what should I do? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I too, see many customers in my job. I also carry 100% of the time. I have never been asked, and of course, never tell. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I too, see many customers in my job. I also carry 100% of the time. I have never been asked, and of course, never tell. I do not carry where it's prohibited by NYS/Federal law. If someone actually asked me if I carry, I would be truthful, and follow their wishes.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    1) He is an employee
    2) He sells to ANYONE who wants his product
    3) There are 12 people out there who want his job
    4) His wife and kids kinda, sorta like having a roof over their heads
    5) His wife and kids kinda, sorta like eating every single day
    6) It's his boss's football and the boss gets to make the rules
    7) It's his boss's liability policy that'll pay for any safety issues
    Ah he is a salesman but he works for an employer, why not ask his boss if he can carry a gun at work?

His boss's liability insurance may not pay for any incidents if the company has a no firearms policy?

But either way, why would we want to do business with anti-gunners? He does have the right, but he should tell them that he cannot set foot on their property because he is a pro-gun loving American who believes in the 2nd Amendment! When they change their policy then he can start to sell to them.

What is so hard about being pro-gun for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskoolfan View Post
    But either way, why would we want to do business with anti-gunners? He does have the right, but he should tell them that he cannot set foot on their property because he is a pro-gun loving American who believes in the 2nd Amendment! When they change their policy then he can start to sell to them.

What is so hard about being pro-gun for you?
    I can tell you're not in a service/sales line of work where your entire livelihood depends on others buying from you, and you are not your own boss...

At my work, it is posted. Here in KS, if it's posted, it is a crime to carry there, plus possible revocation of your CCW. My employee handbook states that firearms are not permitted on the premises "unless authorized" [whatever that means]. The nature of my work makes it incredibly impractical and uncomfortable to carry at work anyway, with no place inside to safely store my gun. State law allows me to lock up my pistol in my car, even in the employer-owned parking lot, but I would rather not be the test case for that law, as I am the sole income for my wife and 6 kids. The risks to my family's well-being is too great.

So, do you think I should quit my job just because they are anti-gun? If so, then I'll quit when you find me a job that I am qualified for, pays what this one does (or better), and I don't have to relocate too far away from family. Oh, yeah: my line of work is in health care. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by TucAzRider View Post
    Jobs and customers are overrated... .
    They may be overrated. But providing for one's family isn't.

I carry daily and I am allowed to by my employer. But I still watch when and where I carry. Is losing an account worth it? Would my boss be happy about it? The answer is no. He expects me to use common sense. He trusts me to do whats right for the company at all times.

In my profession I enter banks, doctors offices, pharmaceutical companies, private residences, police departments................ The list is a mile long. If I've never been there. I don't carry. I see how things go. If I get searched and sometimes do, I know next time I go there that I can't carry. If there are no signs and I dont get searched then I carry the next time I'm there.

It's just simple common sense. My first priority is to provide for my family. If I got in trouble and got fired because I was carrying a gun, how would I explain that to my family?

These days a job is job and they are hard to come by.

If it is not prohibited by law, then carry as often as you can. Silly question.

If you are asked to leave - do so and do it with a smile.
    "Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

While we do have the right to carry, in all fairness, your customers have rights as well. While I don't agree with their "no firearms" policies, I do believe in their right to post their private property. I don't have any problems with my friends carrying when they come to visit, BUT, I do feel that I would have the right to ask them not to carry in my home if I chose to do so.

Personally, I try not to do any business with anti gun establishments although sometimes we don't have a choice such as a courthouse, post office, or government business. When I am working, I have to do business with them because while working, it is my company doing business with them, not me personally.

Is the risk greater of having to defend yourself, or is the risk greater to be discovered and lose your income?

I was once told that "one person's rights end exactly at the point another person's rights begin". That kinda makes sense to me. If I am "stepping on the rights" of someone else, I'm probably out of line. Doesn't mean I have to agree with their position, but I do respect it.
    NRA life member.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TucAzRider View Post
    Jobs and customers are overrated... .
    Uhnless you are in the habit of eating and sleeping under a good roof (not an underpass.)

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    Uhnless you are in the habit of eating and sleeping under a good roof (not an underpass.)

Regards,
    Jerry
    Yeah but getting killed is worse than being a little hungry and cold.

Make sure you check your local laws. In FL, signs don't mean anything.
    G21SF, G30, G36, Ruger SP101 DAO, S&W 642

my boss is ok with me always carrying oh thats right im self-employed

VIP Member
    Yup! Know the law, obey the law.
    When you carry concealed, be sure your weapon is concealed!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Yup! Know the law, obey the law.
    When you carry concealed, be sure your weapon is concealed!
    That's the quick version of this whole thread. Where have you been?
    "Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

I would be very careful in NY. In my opinion they are 2nd only to Cali. in anti gun legislation and harrassmant of permit holders. I would not be so confident about discrete carry because if you became sick or injured in a firearms restricted area and your weapon discovered who knows what would happen next. If you were visiting a Govenment contractor you could be accused of being a terrorist.
    Why do I carry a Gun? Because I can't carry a Cop

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    Two questions...

1. Do you want to keep your customers?
    2. Do you want to keep your job?

If the answer to either of these two questions is "yes" then I would reccomend that you follow thier wishes while on thier property, or in thier facilities.
    BlackJack, good answer. I agree. Common sense. I wish our President had some.

I have a bunch of customers that are Military contractors, ITAR restricted and armed security guards.
    I believe that this is a Federal (not state) law issue. If you need legal advice like this I believe you really should consult a lawyer. JMHO, YMMV.

Ken

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links