Seriously Texas, seriously?

This is a discussion on Seriously Texas, seriously? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's funny to me that Texas can't issue a CHL permit in a timely manner (taking 3 to 6 months on average right now), but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seriously Texas, seriously?

Seriously Texas, seriously?

It's funny to me that Texas can't issue a CHL permit in a timely manner (taking 3 to 6 months on average right now), but they can send a delinquent notice on a Toll fee the day after I get the bill.

Maybe if they couldn't cash the check until after they process the application, that might speed them up a little. Grrrr.........
    Our kindness may be the most persuasive argument for that which we believe.

-Gordon B. Hinckley-

2. Remove Ads

I hear you and fully agree. However, for what it's worth and based on my 52 years of life,..... 3-6 months goes fairly quickly. You will have it "soon".

In the meantime, buy some ammo, get some rangetime in, and watch your mailbox. Time flyes when you're hands are busy.

Good luck and welcome to CCW

Its really a blessing if you think about it. We have so many folk seeking a permit here. Hang in there. My first permit took over 9 months to get here and that was in 1995.
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

My view is that if some places can give it in one day, that they all could. When you buy a gun, the NCIS check takes a minute, what else is there ?

Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    My view is that if some places can give it in one day, that they all could. When you buy a gun, the NCIS check takes a minute, what else is there ?
    Bureaucracy at its finest hour, errrrrr, months that is...

Your app sits on someone's desk while they have coffee and shoot the breeze with the person whose desk the app will (sometime in the future) be sitting on next.

Stay armed...you're not going to change anything...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Not to defend any state bureaucracy, but the agency handling your permit is probably understaffed and swamped with applications. The toll fine was probably
    handled by computer in a different agency where they don't have to do background checks, etc.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Thankfully I have my utah permit to hold me over until I get my TX one
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

1943 - 2009
    Stop complaining. Be glad you live in a shall issue State.

It wasn't that long ago that concealed carry was illegal in Texas.

Count your blessings.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Stop complaining. Be glad you live in a shall issue State.

It wasn't that long ago that concealed carry was illegal in Texas.

Count your blessings.
    You are right. It is like when my dad and uncles used to home make ice cream using the hand crank ice cream maker. No matter how much we tried to hurry them along, the ice cream didn't git et until the crank couldn't be turned any more. While they were cranking and sweating, we kids were screaming for ice cream because we knew how good it was going to be and we just couldn't wait any longer. But we did wait. And it was good.

here it is:

CHL Processing - Government Agency
    Toll Fees - Private company

Any questions??
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

kpw
    They take so long because they can. Simple as that. My county is doing 1000-1500 a month right now and there is one deputy doing the work. 7-10 days is all it takes on average and many counties are quicker. The difference is in PA, they have to issue or deny within 45 days. Without that time limit, we might be in the same boat as Texas and other states.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

in Tennessee the Department of Safety has 90days to issue or deny your application, the kicker is when you renew thy will take their sweet time, I had to get a state senator to call the dept. to speed up my renewal.

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    The difference is in PA, they have to issue or deny within 45 days. Without that time limit, we might be in the same boat as Texas and other states.
    Texas is 60 days by law. But, they have 60 days to issue, deny, or inform you that they need more time. What kind of law is that?? LOL!!

They never notified me of anything, and it took 108 days to get my CHL.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas solo View Post
    Texas is 60 days by law. But, they have 60 days to issue, deny, or inform you that they need more time. What kind of law is that?? LOL!!

They never notified me of anything, and it took 108 days to get my CHL.
    yeah, the legislature sets this law then the overload of applicants isn't even looked at in this last session
    DPS chasing their tails with all these background checks, local agencies have other things on their plates so checks for CHLs aren't given priority
    laws definitely need changing
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

VIP Member

Funding, poor management? labor issues?

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    yeah, the legislature sets this law then the overload of applicants isn't even looked at in this last session
    DPS chasing their tails with all these background checks, local agencies have other things on their plates so checks for CHLs aren't given priority
    laws definitely need changing
    Something seems to be happening with the Texas DPS paper pushers. It isn't just confined to issuance probs. with CHL.

I've been down at the DL place many times for one reason or another. It has typically been pretty efficient. Maybe the most I ever waited was 30 minutes. Usually a fairly quick in and out.

Yesterday I took my wife in to get a Texas ID to go with her DL. It is a trivial process. You fill out a piece of paper, show your driver's license, they take a photo and get thumb prints electronically, collect 6 bucks.

We waited our turn more than 2 hours. Four clerks at four workstations were taking 15 minutes to process a total of 3 clients each 15 minutes / less than 20 in 2 hours.

Even when we were in front of the clerk, she managed to turn that 1 -2 minute process into something that kept us standing there for 10 minutes or more while she talked on the phone, assisted other clerks, looked puzzled, acted bothered.

I have a hunch the state is having some sort of management or labor problem, or both. Something has changed. Until a year or so ago both these DPS places, DL office and CHL folks got the job done. Now, ugh.

Will be writing my local state rep. so my complaint at leasts gets on record somewhere. Suggest the same to anyone who has a CHL application out more than 45 days on renewal or 60 on initial application.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links