Lady shot by CCW holder in bathroom

This is a discussion on Lady shot by CCW holder in bathroom within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We have discussed bathroom issues on here many times. Woman shot in bathroom stall Woman shot in bathroom stall Updated: Thursday, 09 Jul 2009, 10:40 ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lady shot by CCW holder in bathroom

We have discussed bathroom issues on here many times.

Woman shot in bathroom stall

Woman shot in bathroom
    stall
    Updated: Thursday, 09 Jul 2009, 10:40 PM EDT
    Published : Thursday, 09 Jul 2009, 9:27 PM EDT

Kristin Wright
    TAMPA - A Tampa woman is recovering from a gunshot wound she received while using the bathroom at local hotel. Police say Thursday morning, 53-year-old Janifer Bliss was attending a women's health conference at the Clarion Hotel and Conference Center on Fowler Avenue in Tampa.

She was inside a bathroom stall, when a bullet came from the next stall and hit her in the leg.

"We were really wondering what had gone on. We were kind of speculating as to what it could've been. A gunshot was pretty much the furthest from our imagination," said Hotel Manager Eddie Herrick.

Police say 56-year-old Debra Monce has a concealed weapons permit and had the gun in the stall next to Bliss.

"She had the gun in a holster on her pants. When she went to use the restroom, the gun fell out. It hit the ground. Once it hit the ground it discharged," said Tampa Police Spokesperson Andrea Davis. "[The bullet] went under the stall ... and hit the woman in the leg."

Police say Monce helped Bliss with her wound and told the front desk to call 911. Herrick says a hotel employee helped also.
    "She was bleeding out pretty profusely from the gunshot wound. She had a pretty small hole in her leg, so she was able to apply pressure and stop the bleeding," he said.

Monce didn't return calls from FOX 13 or answer the door to her home in Land O' Lakes. Tampa Police handed the case over to the State Attorney's Office, and the office will decide whether criminal charges are in order.

"It's unsettling to know people would bring a concealed firearm into something like a medical conference," said Herrick. "She may have personal reasons why she carries that firearm."

Police say anyone carrying a gun in a holster needs to be very aware of what type of holster they're using.

"The type of holster the gun was in is called an open holster. It doesn't have any type of strap or clip holding the gun in," Davis said.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

I use several different styles of "open" holsters that are fitted to my weapon. I have never had my weapon fall out or even slip from the holster.

If it is fitted properly, I don't think the "falling out of the holster" routine is going to happen.

Just my $.02.
    Sometimes you find your destiny on the road you chose to avoid it.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I'm wondering what kind of gun fires when it is dropped. Isn't this a pretty standard thing that designs are engineered to avoid??

Good reason to buy quality firearms.

Gun fires due to being dropped and person gets hit sounds like a VALID product lawsuit.
    Last edited by Miggy; July 10th, 2009 at 08:05 AM. Reason: editing out unnecesary reference
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Idiot. Perfect ammo for the anti crowd. Hope the shootee is ok.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

I am surprise that there is not a safety standard for fire arms. Dropping a firearm can be expected to happen and should not fire.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Before unbuttoning my pants, I disarm and utilize the hook that is commonly placed on the door of the stall, to reduce the chances of a bathroom mishap.

Kevin Jensen
    Utah State Researcher,
    www.opencarry.org

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    It seems that most unobserved ADs are from "dropped" handguns, but observed ADs seem to have a finger on the trigger. Hmmm.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Jensen View Post
    Before unbuttoning my pants, I disarm and utilize the hook that is commonly placed on the door of the stall, to reduce the chances of a bathroom mishap.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    ... a finger on the trigger
    Dropped plenty of times. Never had one go bang. Only a very old design would do that.

My guess is that any unobserved negligent discharge is caused not by the fall, but by the attempt to catch. I can think of one popular design that would be very subject to an ND by catching.

This is Florida; conferences are a basic pillar of our economy. The idea of challenging carry at conferences could find sponsors. We need data on effective self-defense at conference hotels. Point me to it if you know where those are. I'll get it to Tallahassee.

To me, an AD is better known as a hang fire or chain fire; either of which may happen with black powder revolvers, not EDCs.

I guess we will see a " No Concealed Weapon" sign on that Hotel's door from now on. Some of the people carry guns and accidents do happen. Lots of people drive cars and accidents also happen.
    Why do I carry a Gun? Because I can't carry a Cop

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rolyat63 View Post
    Once it hit the ground it discharged," said Tampa Police Spokesperson Andrea Davis.
    Much more likely: it fired when the trigger was pulled. That's what all of mine do.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I always refasten my belt in the last hole, around my knees. You're sitting, and your knees are spread apart against the belt and everything stays secure. The firearm isn't sitting below the stall wall, the holster can't flip allowing the firearm to fall out, you aren't handling your firearm needlesssly, and it's in a perfect location to draw if needed.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

"She had a pretty small hole in her leg, so she was able to apply pressure and stop the bleeding," he said.
    Does this indicate a small caliber firearm?

I'm wondering what kind of gun fires when it is dropped. Isn't this a pretty standard thing that designs are engineered to avoid??
    Answer: A really cheap piece of crap gun.

It seems that most unobserved ADs are from "dropped" handguns, but observed ADs seem to have a finger on the trigger. Hmmm.
    Or one that someone has pulled the trigger on.

JMHO.

Ken

Oh damn, I'm not supposed to line my don hume with crisco?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

VIP Member
    Based on the hotel manager’s comments, I wonder if the responding police disarmed themselves, since they knew they wouldn’t need their guns at a women’s health conference.

As for the AD with certain pistols: yes, it does happen and I was involved in such a case with a .22 target pistol, more than 30-years ago. The gun was on a hard surface 20-feet from me although another person struck it by accident and it discharged a round into his leg!
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links