I am carrying more but incountering a few challenges.

This is a discussion on I am carrying more but incountering a few challenges. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, I have had my permit for about 4 months, done the wally world walk many times, but wasnt carrying all the time. Last night ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am carrying more but incountering a few challenges.

I am carrying more but incountering a few challenges.

OK, I have had my permit for about 4 months, done the wally world walk many times, but wasnt carrying all the time.

Last night was first night of new obiedience class for my dog. I decided to try carrying to see how it went. The class is small, about 6 people and their dogs. Most of them I have been in class with before. My mother is in the same class and we car pool to the class.

I was carrying a charter arms undercover, 38 special in a Highnoon Split Decision. I decided to go untucked, with a polo over the holster. During class there is a good deal of walking, and alot of bending done to correct the dog and it seems to me the printing is less untucked.

Got to class and went to put on my dogs "bait bag". This is a pouch worn on the belt with reward treats for the dog. I realized that if I lifted the polo shirt to attach the bag to the belt, there was a good chance the holster and gun grip would get uncovered at some point. Luckily I had cargo shorts on, so I put the bait bag in one of the lower leg pockets. No one questioned this, or even seemed to notice.

The other thing I noticed is that when sitting down listening to the instructor, a few times I had to lean to my left to see around the person in front of me. I realized that that may cause printing, so next week I will get a seat at the end of the row or front row, no obstructions, or back row, no one to see printing.

Even my mother that knows I have the permit did not know I was carrying. I almost mentioned the bait bag issue on the drive home, but decided not to tell her I was carrying.

Today I am carrying at work for the first time. Several workers know I have a permit, but no one has noticed a thing yet. I am pretty sure I will get by undetected because I have a desk job and am wearing an ankle holster today.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    IMO, a tucked shirt doesn't print as much as an untucked one. The reason for this is proper blousing. If you pull out the shirt a little bit it's baggy and conceals pretty well. If the shirt is untucked, gravity pulls it down and it contours to your body and\or gun. At least this is what I've noticed with tshirts and polo shirts.

Another thing that might work for you is a pocket holster....
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

cj
    I typically don't worry about printing...most people are very unobservant. My greatest concern is having it completely exposed in a bend or stretch, but a pocket holster or SmartCarry work well enough for me in those types of situations.

Couldn't agree more CJ. People just don't stare at your belt-line (unless they carry and think you do also...). Also remember that printing is not illegal, just undesired. A little print here really won't be noticed. I've been carrying constantly for over a month, and even my closest friends haven't noticed yet.
    NRA Member

Administrator
    Ditto that Sheeple never look at that area anyway.

Plus...the general public often carrys so much assorted various stuff in the vicinity of the belt line these days that unless a trained person is specifically looking for a hidden firearm nobody will know (or even care) exactly what a sporadic bump under your shirt is anyway.

It sounds like you have everything under control. You seem very aware of the challenges and are compensating very well.

I really do not worry about printing at all anymore. No one has ever seemed to notice, or if they have it has never been brought to my attention. I have a friend who used to ask if I was carrying when I first got mine. I thought the print was a huge sign pointing to the gun, but he was looking for it and was still unsure. Every once in a while my girlfriend will tell me the bottom of the holster is visible, but even then no one else appears to have ever noticed it.

Remember "printing is not illegal". It is not really a great thing to have happening but It is not a deal breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    IMO, a tucked shirt doesn't print as much as an untucked one. The reason for this is proper blousing. If you pull out the shirt a little bit it's baggy and conceals pretty well. If the shirt is untucked, gravity pulls it down and it contours to your body and\or gun. At least this is what I've noticed with tshirts and polo shirts.

Another thing that might work for you is a pocket holster....
    I think with my body type, (spare tire) larger than waist the untucked shirt hangs straight down from the spare. If I tuck the shirt gets pulled into the belt line. I can blouse the shirt, but the polo is a little to heavy a material, it seems the blousing works better for dress shirts.

I do have a pocket holster which usually works well except it didn't work as well with these particular cargo shorts, and does print more when I sit. Since my dog likess to jump on my lap during class when I am sitting I didn't want him pressing the material down around the gun.

I am learning which holster works best with each style of dress. I would like to ask how many of you wear a t-shirt under your cover shirt to prevent the holster from chafing when using an IWB. I have tried it both ways but the extra shirt makes me warm now that Michigan's 3 weeks of summer is finally here.

Great,. Yep,. People are less aware they we give them credit for,.. Unless someone carry's they will rarely think anything more then a cell phone... That is just the mindset,. :-)

Is your work ok with you carrying there?

Once I started carrying IWB after using smartcarry for about 6 months or so I worried a lot about printing. After a few months of IWB carry I don't really think about it much. I just make sure my shirt isn't caught on my gun when I get out of a car. Only times I might worry is if I'm bending over or leaning to grab something. At work I sometimes have to get down very low to pick something up and the shirt does slip over the gun and then drops back down between me and the gun, exposing the grip. Usually nobody is around when that happens, but I have had a customer near when it did. I just pulled it back over and nobody noticed or said anything as far as I know. If I have to do a lot of up and down moving around work at work I usually just throw on my coveralls and then don't have to worry about it. Luckily I'm at a family business, so no problem with the empolyer

Edit: I also agree that most people aren't staring trying to find where you keep your gun, most people that don't carry a gun don't think that somebody would do such a crazy thing! If everybody that carries a gun carried open one day, people's eye's would open very wide. More people carry than they think

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    I would like to ask how many of you wear a t-shirt under your cover shirt to prevent the holster from chafing when using an IWB. I have tried it both ways but the extra shirt makes me warm now that Michigan's 3 weeks of summer is finally here.
    I usually wear a tight cotton under shirt to my untucked Hawaiian print or otherwise surfer print button down shirt. I have a Crossbreed Supertuck with the Horsehide option. I really haven't experienced any chaffing, but I rarely go without an undershirt.

I have noticed the tighter the undershirt, the cooler I feel when out and about in the CA summer weather.
    Last edited by CenCal; July 10th, 2009 at 01:06 PM. Reason: cellphone auto correct

I was at Walmart last night and noticed a guy carrying IWB open carry. I did a double take to make sure what I was seeing what I was seeing I do look at people who have untucked shirts from time to time, but not as a habit.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by porsche4786 View Post
    If everybody that carries a gun carried open one day, people's eye's would open very wide. More people carry than they think
    Yep.. There is a reason that LEO aways ask if you have any weapons or firearms on you when they pull you over.. LOL.. Most people probably think,.. " WHAT?? Silly question... LOL.. "

I've been carrying for a few months now and have only had one situation where I was close to getting made: a birthday party where there were a lot of huggy women. I just stuck close to my wife (strong side) and did the one armed hug thing. I have even cut and loaded wood with neighbors - nobody notices anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    I would like to ask how many of you wear a t-shirt under your cover shirt to prevent the holster from chafing when using an IWB. I have tried it both ways but the extra shirt makes me warm now that Michigan's 3 weeks of summer is finally here.
    I must be one of the minority who almost always wears a under shirt, no matter what the outer shirt is. The only time I don't is at the beach or similar locale, mowing the lawn or inside my house. I feel naked otherwise.

It has nothing to do with carrying; it's the way I was brought up.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links