Illinois non resident FL CCW permit...

This is a discussion on Illinois non resident FL CCW permit... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking all through the forum for some guidance on this issue. I unfortunately live in IL and right now won't be moving any ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Illinois non resident FL CCW permit...

Exclamation Illinois non resident FL CCW permit...

I've been looking all through the forum for some guidance on this issue. I unfortunately live in IL and right now won't be moving any time soon. I've heard a buddy's dad say this one day about getting a non-resident FL permit and how that will cover a Illinois resident in many other states (obviously not IL).

I've Googled it and found a bunch of stuff including this guy John Abbot (Gun Loving John - Concealed Carry Classes) who offers training for IL residents and basically has all the paperwork and everything for a FL non resident CCW permit.

I was just wondering does anyone have any experience in this from Illinois or have any other ideas o this subject?

Thanks in advance for all the replies guys and gals.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get a FL non-resident permit. They require proof of competency with a firearm not a permit from another state.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get a FL non-resident permit. They requires proof of competency with a firearm not a permit from another state.
    thanks havegunjoe! I'm definitely going to look into this. I do a lot of traveling down south so that would be awesome....give me a taste of the good life.

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Looking at the das kapital of the mid west ,

in J.Scott Kappas's---- book Travelers Guide to Firearm laws --

I would MOVE !!

Many Illinois gun shops offer courses that qualify you for either a Florida or a Utah (or both) CCW. Check those near you. With a Florida non res permit you would be legal in those states that have reciprocity with Fl. A list can be found at ConcealedCarry.net. As you noted still a big no-no for in state carry.

Also, check out handgunlaw.us.

It will tell you which states accept the FL 'non-res' (there's no distinction in FL-only to some other states), and which ones won't.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

you might also look into a KY non-resident permit. I believe it will get you some states in the midwest (MI and CO---although CO is not exactly midwest) that FL and UT don't

There are plenty of states that offer non-resident licenses. I see no reason for not getting one (or more).

Oops, I retract that. Just checked and KY does not issue non-resident permits. Bummer! Sorry for false info.

Quote Originally Posted by Baja Boy View Post
    in J.Scott Kappas's---- book Travelers Guide to Firearm laws --

I would MOVE !!

Baja Boy line the job up! I'd move to Arizona in a heart beat!

NRA Member/Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by chrise2004 View Post
    I've been looking all through the forum for some guidance on this issue. I unfortunately live in IL and right now won't be moving any time soon. I've heard a buddy's dad say this one day about getting a non-resident FL permit and how that will cover a Illinois resident in many other states (obviously not IL).

I've Googled it and found a bunch of stuff including this guy John Abbot (Gun Loving John - Concealed Carry Classes) who offers training for IL residents and basically has all the paperwork and everything for a FL non resident CCW permit.

I was just wondering does anyone have any experience in this from Illinois or have any other ideas o this subject?

Thanks in advance for all the replies guys and gals.
    You should be able to get one, provided you have proof of competency and you have never committed a felony.

By the way, the Florida Dept. of Agriculture issues the permits. The Commissioner is Charles H. Bronson.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

The way most of the folks I know from Illinois have gone [right, wrong, or indifferent] is the Florida nonresident. As for moving I wouldn't give an acre of Southern Illinois for the entire state of Arizona if y'all offered boot.

Thanks everyone for the replies I'm definitely going to get a ccw from somewhere!

NRA Member/Supporter

chrise2004-

Two Points...

1} Florida only requires proof of firearms competency, if you were in the military and have a DD214 showing firearms qualification, hunter safety card, even a letter from an officer of a shooting club will work. There is no specific course of training for Florida; there is specific training for Utah. Get the Florida packet and it will tell you what proof is accepted.

2} Be careful when checking out states that accept the Florida (or any other non-resident permit) several states only accept the permit if you are a resident of the issuing state.

I am an Illinois resident with a Florida Non-Resident permit. It took me awhile as I had to get re-fingerprinted but all you need to do is fill out the application and send it in with payment. I suggest a personal check so you can see when it is cashed by the state. Be prepared for a wait.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links