CCW in NC and Motorcycle Riding

This is a discussion on CCW in NC and Motorcycle Riding within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, just got my bike running again after a few years, and I looked in the CCW website for NC about the proper procedure during ...

Thread: CCW in NC and Motorcycle Riding

CCW in NC and Motorcycle Riding

Ok, just got my bike running again after a few years, and I looked in the CCW website for NC about the proper procedure during a traffic stop.

It covers what to do if your in a car, but doesn't mention if you are riding a motorcycle.

While at first it seems logical to extrapolate the same requirements to a motorcycle, it's actually a problem. The times I've been stopped on a bike, I usually turn off the ignition, leave the key in the bike, get off the bike and take off the helmet. If I was to keep my hands on the handlebars the 'steering' wheel of a bike like you're supposed to in a car, I can see that causing a nervous officer who thinks I'm probably going to bolt.

Anyone here ride a bike, and have you talked to any LEO about the best way to handle a traffic stop on a bike?

2. Remove Ads

I'm in Arizona, but I'm sure the same princlple apply. Stop, turn the bike off,if your wearing a helment I would take it off if you have time before the officer get's out of the car and up to you, ... then put your hands on the handlebar and wait until he approaches. At that time I would let him know your carrying and tell him where your weapon is. Ask for his instructions for what to do next. He will more then likely tell you all is good and then you can tell him if your getting your wallet out for drivers license and permitt. Don't fret it, it is'nt a big deal. People make more of it then needs to be.. Be nice and everything will go well..

Well, put yourself in the officers shoes, ask yourself "what would make me nervous if I stopped some random person on the highway or streets," before he says anything tell him you have a gun, and don't make any sudden movements, his alert levels will go down a bit if he knows (or she) what hes up against, and be extremely nice, I mean extremely nice, not overly nice, like arrogant or just plain rude. He might not even take the side arm, depending on the officer and what you've done. The officers in NC are pretty aware that there are alot of CCWs, just be cool, and act like youre going to get a ticket, most officers hate when people act like they can talk like they can get over on anyone, by law you have to tell them and Yea I'm speaking from experience, and plenty of it. I've been pulled over by a really pissed off NC HP and forgot to tell him, he really didn't car too much after giving me 82 in a 60 ticket, dodged that bullet and jail time.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NCBob View Post
    Ok, just got my bike running again after a few years, and I looked in the CCW website for NC about the proper procedure during a traffic stop.

It covers what to do if your in a car, but doesn't mention if you are riding a motorcycle.

While at first it seems logical to extrapolate the same requirements to a motorcycle, it's actually a problem. The times I've been stopped on a bike, I usually turn off the ignition, leave the key in the bike, get off the bike and take off the helmet. If I was to keep my hands on the handlebars the 'steering' wheel of a bike like you're supposed to in a car, I can see that causing a nervous officer who thinks I'm probably going to bolt.

Anyone here ride a bike, and have you talked to any LEO about the best way to handle a traffic stop on a bike?
    While keeping your hands on the wheel and in plain view might be a recommendation, I don't think it is required by law. As long as you keep your hands where the LEO can see them and don't make any sudden moves you should be alright.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    While keeping your hands on the wheel and in plain view might be a recommendation, I don't think it is required by law. As long as you keep your hands where the LEO can see them and don't make any sudden moves you should be alright.
    Actually in NC it is required, you have to have your hands on the wheel and they recommend that you turn the interior light on and roll the window half way down.

And on a motorcycle, I have none of these things :)

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the great replies. I think it probably just boils down to not thinking so much about the 'letter' of the law, and like TBonedemon and TucAzRider said. Make the officer comfortable, be relaxed :)

Just keep your hands in plain sight and away from your waist area. Don't see were the problem would be. Goes back to the simple common sense instead of reading too deep into things.

Roger

In NC we have the Approach and Address. When an officer approaches or addresses the permit holder you must inform the officer that you are carrying. In NC a motorcycle is considered a motor vehicle and the same rules apply as if in a vehicle.
    | Type 01 FFL / SOT |
    | NC CHP Instructor | NRA Pistol Instructor |

No need to do anything except stop, cut the bike off. Hands still on the handlebars. Advise as he appoaches that you are required by law to advise etc etc etc. As long as your hands are on the handle bars you are so good to go.

I have been in traffic stops quite a few times on my bike and it has never been a problem. I'v had nothing but great LEO interactions.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Quote Originally Posted by NCBob View Post
    Actually in NC it is required, you have to have your hands on the wheel and they recommend that you turn the interior light on and roll the window half way down.

And on a motorcycle, I have none of these things :)
    While it's recommended that you do this, it's not required by law. There are no general statutes that say you must keep your hands on the wheel.

It's referenced in the NC firearms laws you DL from the state and is referenced in the training books the justice academy provides but it's not the law.

After saying that, there's a good reason they recommend this procedure and I'd follow it to a tee in NC.

I would like to correct Tbonedemon, who said before he says anything, tell
    him you have a gun. That should be, you have a CCH and are in possesion of
    a weapon. As for the hands on the handle bars, I would say that a motorcycle
    is open enough that he can see your hands.

Links