Defensive Carry banner

MI CC permit: "any other place of worship"

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Landor 
#1 ·
MI CC permit: "any other place of worship"

Graveyards are considered "hallowed ground" and are often blessed. How about funeral homes, where religious service are sometimes conducted. are they included under, "any other place of worship"?

#4 ·
I don't think a funeral home is a place of worship, but thet are private property and you would technically need the consent of the owner.
I didn't think MI had a requirement to notify property owners that you were carrying. Are you required to go to a malls management office and tell them? After all it is private property.

#6 ·
Place of Worship

I would also think that to be a "Place of Worship" your status as a business would have to be non-profit or charitable. Church get lots of tax breaks and such but are only considered to be "churchs" and get those breaks if they meet those requirements.

I think its also really a semantics sort of thing, I know for example Church of Christ don't refer to there building as a "church" the congregation makes up the "church" and the building is the place where the church meets. Thats one of those cases where the terms Place of Worship come into play.

The rules are the same in Texas, we cant carry in places of worship. I personally don't agree with it but I obey it.

Alex!

#7 ·
Graveyards often have chapels, and may be tied to the ownership of a local church / congregation.

PS - I'm not stating a graveyard is a place of worship, just asking questions. I have grandparents buried in a bad part of town, and there have been muggings / crimes commited at the graveyard. I have CC there, but another's post just has me wondering.

#10 ·
Seems fairly common sense to me, if it is a church that hold services don't carry. Why would graveyards ect be a place of worship? Do they hold regular services there ? Organized religion seems to be the target of this portion of MI law.
While there is room for argument that anywhere could be a place of worship, it would be difficult for a prosecutor to gain a conviction if you were caught carrying in such a place. Some common sense needs to be applied , however if it makes you feel better don't carry in such locations.

#15 ·
Legally the only gun free zones are those written on the back of your CPL. Those are the law.

Rules are not laws. If it is posted by rule such as property owner you can still carry but if you are asked to leave for some reason then you must comply or then you are trespassing.

A cemetery is not a church. It is a cemetery so in my opinion you can carry in it. If the property owner has a sign saying no weapons well, concealed means concealed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.