MI CC permit: "any other place of worship"

This is a discussion on MI CC permit: "any other place of worship" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; MI CC permit: "any other place of worship" Graveyards are considered "hallowed ground" and are often blessed. How about funeral homes, where religious service are ...

Graveyards are considered "hallowed ground" and are often blessed. How about funeral homes, where religious service are sometimes conducted. are they included under, "any other place of worship"?
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I don't think a funeral home is a place of worship, but thet are private property and you would technically need the consent of the owner.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

VIP Member
    I don't think a cemetery or funeral home either one would classify as a place of worship.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    I don't think a funeral home is a place of worship, but thet are private property and you would technically need the consent of the owner.
    I didn't think MI had a requirement to notify property owners that you were carrying. Are you required to go to a malls management office and tell them? After all it is private property.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I didn't think MI had a requirement to notify property owners that you were carrying. Are you required to go to a malls management office and tell them? After all it is private property.
    We don't. Further, if a no handguns sign is posted in an otherwise legal to carry place, it carries no force of law (though some including an attorney from a gun rights organization do contend you are guilty of trespass by ignoring the sign).

If place of worship can be extended to a cemetery or funeral home, IMHO it can just as easily be extended to my car, a grocery store, or pretty much anyplace else where one might be and happen to pray (except schools, of course ... but then, they're already covered).

Pretty sure place of worship would be interpreted pretty strictly to mean a church, mosque, temple etc. etc.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Place of Worship

I would also think that to be a "Place of Worship" your status as a business would have to be non-profit or charitable. Church get lots of tax breaks and such but are only considered to be "churchs" and get those breaks if they meet those requirements.

I think its also really a semantics sort of thing, I know for example Church of Christ don't refer to there building as a "church" the congregation makes up the "church" and the building is the place where the church meets. Thats one of those cases where the terms Place of Worship come into play.

The rules are the same in Texas, we cant carry in places of worship. I personally don't agree with it but I obey it.

Alex!

Graveyards often have chapels, and may be tied to the ownership of a local church / congregation.

PS - I'm not stating a graveyard is a place of worship, just asking questions. I have grandparents buried in a bad part of town, and there have been muggings / crimes commited at the graveyard. I have CC there, but another's post just has me wondering.
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    We don't. Further, if a no handguns sign is posted in an otherwise legal to carry place, it carries no force of law (though some including an attorney from a gun rights organization do contend you are guilty of trespass by ignoring the sign).

If place of worship can be extended to a cemetery or funeral home, IMHO it can just as easily be extended to my car, a grocery store, or pretty much anyplace else where one might be and happen to pray (except schools, of course ... but then, they're already covered).

Pretty sure place of worship would be interpreted pretty strictly to mean a church, mosque, temple etc. etc.
    Exactly what T Bone said.
    Last edited by chains1240; July 11th, 2009 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Edited for clarity
    Kel-Tec P-11, Supertuck Deluxe, Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor's Belt

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    ...If place of worship can be extended to a cemetery or funeral home, IMHO it can just as easily be extended to my car, a grocery store, or pretty much anyplace else where one might be and happen to pray (except schools, of course ... but then, they're already covered)...
    A graveyard can be owned by a church, congregation, a denomination's administrative territorial, etc. They often have shrines, chapels, etc. Several religious services can be held there. The graveyard is often consecrated / hollowed ground.

I don't think you can simply equate all graveyards to legally be the same as a place where a prayer service might take place or dead bodies are placed.

Note: I'm not stating it should be considered a place where the CC permit does not allow a carry, however I think it is less clear cut then everyone is making it (same as your livingroom).
    NRA Member

Lead Moderator
    Seems fairly common sense to me, if it is a church that hold services don't carry. Why would graveyards ect be a place of worship? Do they hold regular services there ? Organized religion seems to be the target of this portion of MI law.
    While there is room for argument that anywhere could be a place of worship, it would be difficult for a prosecutor to gain a conviction if you were caught carrying in such a place. Some common sense needs to be applied , however if it makes you feel better don't carry in such locations.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Places of worship in Texas

alexcanslee,

You're quoting old law in Texas. Now, churches are valid for carry unless posted with the required notice in accordance with TPC 30.06. If not posted, concealed carry is allowed.

You did not give the whole reference but if it was "church or any other place of worship", then the intention was to cover Mosque and other religious buildings that do not use the word church for their buildings.

You did not give the whole reference but if it was "church or any other place of worship", then the intention was to cover Mosque and other religious buildings that do not use the word church for their buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by 1923mack View Post
    + 1 with this
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Legally the only gun free zones are those written on the back of your CPL. Those are the law.

Rules are not laws. If it is posted by rule such as property owner you can still carry but if you are asked to leave for some reason then you must comply or then you are trespassing.

A cemetery is not a church. It is a cemetery so in my opinion you can carry in it. If the property owner has a sign saying no weapons well, concealed means concealed.

Links