I guess training pays....

This is a discussion on I guess training pays.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It is my only day off this week and, of course, instead of being able to rest I was ordered by the wife to go ...

Thread: I guess training pays....

VIP Member

It is my only day off this week and, of course, instead of being able to rest I was ordered by the wife to go shopping for groceries with my dearest Mom. We were at the register handing out the stuff to the cashier when this loud klaxon starts going off. The first thing that crosses my mind is "That is not a fire alarm." and I start scanning. Ours was the only register open so I watch around us.... no visible threat. I widen the scope to see if other registers that might be opening are being attacked... nothing. My attention goes to the office area thinking that the safe might be there and that is where the BG's might be doing their mischief but i can't see anything amiss. The I see somebody rushing towards a box on the wall and punching the keys in it and the klaxon dies down...False Alarm! Phewww!

Then I checked myself: Without realizing it my body was in shooting stance (feet appart, knees slightly bent, etc). My left hand horizontally across my chest with the tumb vertically on my sternum. Right hand on my side, thumb hooking the vest ready to move it out of the way and reach for my gun.

I recover and assumed standard male buyer position (C'mon, hurry up, I wanna go home) but I felt good about myself and my reaction. I guess all that training did go somewhere in my brain.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

mik
    >Without realizing it my body was in shooting stance (feet appart, knees slightly bent, etc). My left hand horizontally across my chest with the tumb vertically on my sternum. Right hand on my side, thumb hooking the vest ready to move it out of the way and reach for my gun.<

I can't think of a better testament to your training and practice. Glad it turned out to be nothing.

Assistant Administrator
    Good to have a ''dry run''

Funny tho - last time I was a bit stressed in a store I also found my stance had altered a bit - tho I had not progressed hands as far as you did, just had right hand thumb in pocket, available for sweep-aside move - it was tho I guess a brief ''phase #1''.

Situational awareness and analysis is essential I think - most folks just carry on with what they were doing assuming it is always a false alarm - one day it might not be - or as loud! Never assume!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Chris, nothing like a big loud klaxon to shake your awareness! The event did drive home Barrett Tillman's quote:
    "You won't rise to the occasion - you'll default to your level of training."
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy
    Chris, nothing like a big loud klaxon to shake your awareness! The event did drive home Barrett Tillman's quote:
    Quote:
    "You won't rise to the occasion - you'll default to your level of training."

Great post as a great reminder - and congratulations!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Sponsored Links