Concealed means concealed

This is a discussion on Concealed means concealed within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a very open person. I carry concealed 99.99% of the time, but I also like to share my views and help educate others. Yesterday ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concealed means concealed

I'm a very open person. I carry concealed 99.99% of the time, but I also like to share my views and help educate others.

Yesterday my wife and I were at a church function at a park (legal to carry there, but not at the church itself). I was talking with one of my friends and showed him my permit, I've had it a little over a week now. He asked me if I was carrying and I said yes and indicated the location of my gun. I also told him that my wife has her permit too. He asked if she was carrying as well. I said, "I don't know." I even looked at my wife closely, knowing exactly where she carries, and couldn't tell. I finally had to ask my wife if she had her gun, and she did.

The ability to conceal with the right holster is INCREDIBLE!!!

Another time... At one of my jobs I've been talking with a guy about the whole process of getting my permit, picking my gun, choosing a holster, etc. So when my permit finally came I had to show it to him. Behind closed doors he asked me if I was carrying. I told him it's called concealed for a reason and asked if he could tell if I had a gun on me or not.

I've got to say here that I wear slacks and a tucked in dress shirt for work, and my gun is a Springfield XD sc 9. He thought I had a peashooter in my pocket until I pulled out my keys. He couldn't tell at all that I was carrying until I showed him my gun. Specifics on holster and praises that direction will be posted under the holsters section of this forum when I get around to it.

I am very grateful for my 2nd amendment rights and the ability I have to carry concealed.
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

Nice choice of weapon! It's what I carry!
    Press the fight!

Senior Moderator
    To illustrate just how easy it is/was to conceal a gun (even a full-size, all steel one) the manager at my old job used to repeatedly bring customers around the corner or yell, "Hey, little girl, what you carrying today?"

He knew FULL WELL I never left home with out my .45.

I'd respond, "My Kimber," or Wilson, or the Springfield, whatever applied.

He's say, "Let's see it."

I'd turn around and reveal my gun and he'd get a huge kick out of watching the customer's eyes bulge and he'd go into his speech of, "See, if SHE can carry a gun like that, than YOU certainly can."

I probably constituted more "large gun" buys than anything else because no man wanted to have a small female out carrying him.

I also had a regular customer who made it a personal mission of his to discover where on my frame I was concealing that day. Often he would be mistaken. It was fun to see him come to the counter. He was always starting it out with, "Okay, this time I am SURE. You have your shoulder holster on, don't you?"

Gosh I loved that job!

I thought you said C means C? Then you go on to say you show and tell everyone like its your newborn baby pics.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by surprise View Post
    I thought you said C means C? Then you go on to say you show and tell everyone like its your newborn baby pics.
    He said that a vast majority of the time he does conceal, but every now and then educating means sharing.

I fully support this kind of approach. Most of the time people like this, myself included, go about their way and no one is the wiser. However, on the few occasions that the conversation is brought up or, like me, when you work in a field that is made up of your experiences concealing and sharing those experiences, it's wise and helpful to pass that info on.

Nothing wrong with that at all, in my book.

I wish I could have been a fly on the wall, or an onlooker, when that happened, limatunes. ;-) I couldn't impress the men as much with what I can conceal because, although female, I'm tall and big.

However, for some reason nobody seems to find me threatening even if I open carry at a 4th of July carnival with bunches of small children running everywhere. :) So I've been taking advantage of that fact on hot summer days by simply dispensing with the coverup garment and open carrying. The only questions I've gotten were from a couple of visitors to the state who were clearly curious/interested, not worried about it. (Open carry is both legal in Nevada, and not so unusual that people freak out when they see someone carrying openly.)

Thank you Limatunes. Yes, I love to help educate others about concealed carry. I don't tell everyone under the sun that I've got a gun, but the select few as I feel them out over time. I would love to work in a gun shop where I could talk more openly as you have in the past.

I'm a fan of your blog and share your thoughts with my wife. I almost feel like a celebrity has commented on my post!! I'm guessing the little one has you up, considering how late it is for you to be posting?!
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post

I also had a regular customer who made it a personal mission of his to discover where on my frame I was concealing that day. Often he would be mistaken. It was fun to see him come to the counter. He was always starting it out with, "Okay, this time I am SURE. You have your shoulder holster on, don't you?"

Gosh I loved that job!
    I used to play this game with my house mate in college (the good old days when campus security encouraged me to carry, but that's another story). He knew I was almost always armed when I left the house, and would try and guess where it was. Sometimes he was right, sometimes not. When we were around campus and around town, he was always amazed at how nobody noticed I was carrying a large pistol (Taurus PT-99 then).

CP Lincoln

VIP Member
    To tell or not is certainly a personal choice.

I do hope you don't get severely burned like I did by "educating" the public... many of whom, do not want to share in your wisdom! Sheep love their ignorance and "knowledge" actually scares the **** out of them!

It might not be the one you talked to that causes you grief, but the one(s) they told about you. Once the word is out, you can not get it back!

Good luck!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    To tell or not is certainly a personal choice.

I do hope you don't get severely burned like I did by "educating" the public... many of whom, do not want to share in your wisdom! Sheep love their ignorance and "knowledge" actually scares the **** out of them!

It might not be the one you talked to that causes you grief, but the one(s) they told about you. Once the word is out, you can not get it back!

Good luck!
    Agreed!

For my personal safety and the safety of those near me my choice is to NOT let anyone know I'm carrying. Ever...

Be Safe!
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them. Richard Henry Lee 1788

Quote Originally Posted by coriantan View Post
    I carry concealed 99.99% ...
    I've had it a little over a week now.
    So, you've carried concealed 99.99% for a week now? Was the .01% of last week open carry?

Quote Originally Posted by coriantan View Post
    He asked me if I was carrying and I said yes and indicated the location of my gun. I also told him that my wife has her permit too. He asked if she was carrying as well. I said, "I don't know." I even looked at my wife closely, knowing exactly where she carries, and couldn't tell. I finally had to ask my wife if she had her gun, and she did.
    I too live in Utah County, and nobody will ever need to ask if my wife and or I are carrying. Just look and check.

Kevin Jensen
    Utah State Researcher,
    www.opencarry.org

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    I agree and think it is of major importance we share the cause with others.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    He said that a vast majority of the time he does conceal, but every now and then educating means sharing.

I fully support this kind of approach. Most of the time people like this, myself included, go about their way and no one is the wiser. However, on the few occasions that the conversation is brought up or, like me, when you work in a field that is made up of your experiences concealing and sharing those experiences, it's wise and helpful to pass that info on.

Nothing wrong with that at all, in my book.
    Amen Limatunes. This is my approach, though I am probably a little more open.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

concealed is concealed is concealed. I find no personal benefit to letting anyone know I carry a firearm. But that's me...I have no personal cause to educate anyone on firearms.

Show and tell only creates problems in my opinion. Show one person, they tell 10, etc...then everyone knows you have a firearm. Next thing - someone breaks into your house while you are at work knowing there are firearms there.
    "I'm a big, hairy, American winning machine!" - Ricky Bobby

I'm glad there are people out educating the public, but in my opinion there are 2 reasons to never tell...

1) Once you tell, you can't "untell".
    2) You have no control over someone elses discretion.

It's a personal choice, and I am glad you are comfortable educating others as to the benefits of CCW, but I will always carry and never tell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links