Defensive Carry banner

A week of regular carry.

2K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  bstrawse 
#1 ·
I've been carrying pretty much all the time for about a week now, and things seem to be going great. It's funny, I'm typically a guy who doesn't care what anyone thinks, but I'm rather self-conscious about printing, or being too obvious.

I open-carried for the first few days, as I'd not decided on an IWB holster, and simply wore long button-down shirts, untucked. While the gun was easily visible to anyone looking, nobody seemed to notice. I went to the local watering hole, no issues. I went to the grocery store, no issues. I took it out on the boat, no issues, even at the ramp with all the bending and moving while preparing the boat. I was surprised.

I've now got a Crossbreed SuperTuck, and love it to death. Minnesota allows open or concealed carry, but I'd rather be incognito than in the open with my carry status. I carry a Glock 22, a full-size .40, and it is easily concealed under a bloused polo or button down shirt. My wife does occasionally laugh at me when I'm doing things, claiming that I have a 'gun-shaped shirt.' With the new holster, I've even been carrying at work, which has no policy for or against carrying of firearms. (I'm sure if they new, policy would change.) Even officers I work with didn't notice I was carrying, even when I told them I had a concealed weapon, they couldn't immediately point it out.

I'll continue to use both holsters, depending on the circumstance, and love them both (the OWB is a Blackhawk Serpa L2). It really amazes me how so many people have no idea.

See less See more
#2 ·
You'll find that a lot. People don't pay that close of attention. Of course, the first time you go out, concealed or not, you feel like you have a bulls-eye painted on your back and underneath a blinking neon sign that says, "I have a gun," and an arrow pointing to the exact location.

With time you realize that the vast VAST majority of people never notice even if you have your guns sticking out in plain sight.

Glad you are getting comfortable with it. Keep it up.

#3 ·
Bar carry is legal in Minnesota? Wish our legislature would get it together and remove such prohibition here. Already illegal to drink (well, almost, .02% BAC limit), and I don't drink. Just seems wrong I should be denied my right to self defense if I go into a place to visit with friends, see a band, etc.

As to people not noticing, that's one of the two situations you'll commonly see (and by far the most common). There are the times though, where they will notice and either freak out or get indignant. No fun unless you're prepared for it. But I digress. I prefer concealed for a lot of reasons. Welcome to CC, it is a great feeling to know you have a viable means to protect yourself from the predators of this world.

#4 ·
Bar carry is legal in Minnesota? Wish our legislature would get it together and remove such prohibition here. Already illegal to drink (well, almost, .02% BAC limit)...
Yes, it's legal. They match the legal BAC to commercial driver's licenses, however. While carrying in Minnesota, BAC limit is 0.04%. While having conversations with deputies and police, many don't know the laws, which appears to be the norm, if this forum is any indicator...

#5 ·
I've been carrying pretty much all the time for about a week now, and things seem to be going great. It's funny, I'm typically a guy who doesn't care what anyone thinks, but I'm rather self-conscious about printing, or being too obvious.

I open-carried for the first few days, as I'd not decided on an IWB holster, and simply wore long button-down shirts, untucked. While the gun was easily visible to anyone looking, nobody seemed to notice. I went to the local watering hole, no issues. I went to the grocery store, no issues. I took it out on the boat, no issues, even at the ramp with all the bending and moving while preparing the boat. I was surprised

Snip.............
While laws in MN might be different, open carry is usually considered to literally be out in the open. If your untucked shirt covers your gun at any time, it is CONCEALED.
In MI. , some even say any IWB holster makes your gun concealed even if you don't have a shirt on. This has never been tested in a court of law though.

#12 ·
I'm not speaking of legal or not. I don't consider a loose shirt draped over a large holster with a large gun to be overly well concealed. Minnesota has a carry permit, not a 'concealed carry' permit. You can either carry or not, concealed or not. There is no distinction as to whether it is required to be concealed.

#6 ·
Welcome to the Brother/Sisterhood of carry permit holders. As others have said, and I have said for years, to the vast majority of people a gun is not a thought that crosses most people’s minds. I’d recommend keeping it covered inside or outside waste band however. Tactically it is the better option IMHO.

#7 ·
Awesome post.

I go between OC and CC, depends on my mood.

Wish NC would get on the band wagon with the restaurant carry law. But oh well will most likely be living in TN within the next 60 days, and hopefully there law goes int effect today.

#8 ·
I have been carrying for over 5 years (since Ohio passed CCW). I have tried almost every holster available. I have a Croosbreed Super Tuck that I have tried not to like. I have given up, it's the best, IMHO.
I think all of us have been selfconscious when we started carrying, thinking everyone can see that we are carrying. Now, I don't even notice, and I know most people don't know or see. I actually feel a little naked when I can't carry when we go to a restaurant (sales by the drink).
I don't discuss carrying with others, unless it is for information purposes, and I never show anyone my carry piece, unless it's on a range. I don't advertise that I am carrying.

#10 ·
Concealability is overrated.
People are way too wrapped up in their own lives to pay attention to any bulges under your clothes. Nobody’s looking for guns. They’re oblivious.

I've been carrying a gun daily here in Florida since 1988. It took quite a while for me to realize how little people see of what's happening around them. The fact is, unless you're a supermodel or on fire, no one will give you a 2nd look. Hell, they won't give you a 1st look.

I carried a M-29 Smith .44 Maggie in an OWB holster complete with 2 speedloaders under a Hawaiian shirt for a few weeks just for fun. The thing stuck out a mile. Felt like half a steel grapefruit hung on my belt. At 5'9" and 150 lbs, it was obvious as hell. No one noticed a thing.

I know it seems like there's a big Neon sign over your head that says, "GUN!!", but there isn't.
Relax.

#13 ·
I use an OWB holster for my G30. Even if I wear a T-shirt draped over it, no one ever notices. I thought I may have exposed the other day at the mall when I reached my empty cup over a counter to get a refill. I heard someone say something loudly, but didn't catch what it was. I turned to see an LEO looking at me. He smiled and looked away...I don't think he noticed the tip of the gun poking out from below my cover shirt.

My point...Sheep are too busy being sheep to notice anything around them.

#14 ·
Minnesota actually has some common sense laws for carry. I carry open or concealed depending on mood and clothes, mostly with OWB holsters since I need to lose some weight to create IWB space on my jeans. Never had an issue either way.

#15 ·
After spending about a week with family down in Texas earlier this year, I wound up in an evening bull session with my uncle and cousins husband. One a veteran, the other an FFL dealer. I told them I had recently purchased a Sig 226 and had brought it down with me if they would like go to the range. My uncle asked if he could take a look at it. I pulled up my shirt, drew, cleared and handed it over. They were both very surprised having assumed I meant I had it in the car. I had been carrying all week. It gave me a bit of a confidence boost.

#17 ·
I'd keep it covered...makes the surprise all that much better.:image035:

After a lengthy time of CCW, you eventually have to think if you're wearing it, just like a ring, watch, or wallet...it sort of blends in to the senses.:yup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.