I let my guard down

This is a discussion on I let my guard down within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I just got my CCW a few months ago. I started carry whenever I can (where the law allows). I have a gas station ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I let my guard down

Unhappy I let my guard down

So I just got my CCW a few months ago. I started carry whenever I can (where the law allows). I have a gas station I go to across the street (whenever I need a little snack or drink).

So I decided to run across the street today. I had a pair of gym shorts on so I did not want to put on jeans or shorts (so I left the firearm at home). So I figured I would be in and out pretty quick.

When I got up to the door I noticed a unshaven white male who looked pretty scruffy. I could almost tell what was about to happen.
    "Hey dude, can I borrow 10$". I went into the normal routine, "nah man, got no cash on me". "Dude, I will totally make you 20$, quick cash man". In which I replied "No, thanks!". In which his final reply is "common dude, help me out". At which point I tried to enter in the front door. He attempted to block my way in, and got extremely close to me (I brushed by him, and whew he stank). So I got in the store as quick as I could and alerted the staff to what this guy outside was doing. As I think about it he could have easily pulled a knife on me and stabbed me before I got the chance to react.

Needless to say, I think my gun stay's on in the future.
    Phoenix AZ

XDM .40
    Kimber Ultra Carry .45

Why would you let a stinky threat get within contact distance? Even if you were armed and he wanted to do you damage, you could not have reacted in time!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Administrator
    Gun or not, he still would have stabbed you.
    "Just blame Sixto"

jfl
    Ever heard of the "Tueller drill", it is sobering !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    +1 on Tueller. Don't let him get within 21 feet. And that's if he's standing still! If he's running at you, don't let him get within a lot more than 21 feet!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

As you have 2nd guessed your decision you can tell it can happen very fast. Lesson learned, grow from it.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Even a man with a knife can close distances of 10-20ft in a blink of an eye. The moment I see someone I dont like, I turn and walk somewhere else. Most likely, to cover where I can draw if I need to.

In this case, get IN THE STORE and make some noise. "PLEASE LEAVE ME ALONE", etc. If you are by the gas pump, do the same thing, but start walking around your vehicle to keep distance and if you are armed, time to deploy.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Yep, you let your guard down all right. And you also let yourself down. You should be thankful you are still breathing or at least that your guts still live on the inside of your body cavity.

Always take the time to put on the gun and the appropriate dress. Taking a minute to put on the right clothes and your gun for a quick dash to the market might just save your life.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Scary situation dude, lots of good replies here. I gotta second the advice about avoiding the threat, there was nothing in that kwikitrippiminimarty that was worth getting cut over. Avoiding is easy to do carrying a weapon or not.

Glad you were not harmed and noticed that you screwed up, that is the first step.

Joker1

Since ive started carrying i feel guilty if i dont carry everywhere i can. That little voice in my head says "If you dont take it and something happens to you or your family you will never forgive yourself." I even carry to the mailbox. Since i can i might as well.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Treat your gun like an American Express card.......don't leave home without it.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    You're using my line, Automatic Slim. Seriously, I always carry when I leave home. I either have my XD 45 in an IWB holster, my Glock 26 in a pocket holster, or both At home, as I've mentioned several times, I don't carry on my person, but there's always a gun close. I have 5 handguns, and rather than safes, I use various concealment products- cut out concealment books, and a clock which opens to allow access to a hand gun. No kids, obviously. I don't answer my door without a gun in my hand. If I were in the position of the OP, I would have my hand on my Glock as I neared and passed him. I believe in always being prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Dybolic View Post
    At which point I tried to enter in the front door. He attempted to block my way in, and got extremely close to me (I brushed by him, and whew he stank). So I got in the store as quick as I could and alerted the staff to what this guy outside was doing. As I think about it he could have easily pulled a knife on me and stabbed me before I got the chance to react.

Thanks for sharing. As hard as it was to realize how bad it might have been, it can be even harder to share your experience with others. We all can learn from each other to not make the same mistakes.

Stay armed and alert!
    Randy
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Dybolic View Post
    So I just got my CCW a few months ago. I started carry whenever I can (where the law allows). I have a gas station I go to across the street (whenever I need a little snack or drink).

So I decided to run across the street today. I had a pair of gym shorts on so I did not want to put on jeans or shorts (so I left the firearm at home). So I figured I would be in and out pretty quick.

When I got up to the door I noticed a unshaven white male who looked pretty scruffy. I could almost tell what was about to happen.
    "Hey dude, can I borrow 10$". I went into the normal routine, "nah man, got no cash on me". "Dude, I will totally make you 20$, quick cash man". In which I replied "No, thanks!". In which his final reply is "common dude, help me out". At which point I tried to enter in the front door. He attempted to block my way in, and got extremely close to me (I brushed by him, and whew he stank). So I got in the store as quick as I could and alerted the staff to what this guy outside was doing. As I think about it he could have easily pulled a knife on me and stabbed me before I got the chance to react.

You know, as Americans we enjoy a comfort zone of about 2-3 feet all around us. Just something we get used to having. Many other cultures don't have that luxury.

With the Tueller Drill in mind, I understand the feelings here about getting knifed, but really! Draw on a man simply because they are inside a 21' zone? Come on now. Are we as a gun toten society, that scared of our own shadows now?

This fella did not mention what the old scruffy man's hands were doing, or for that matter, where he had them. I think the OP felt secure in brushing this dude off as he really presented himself physically as a non-threat asking for money.

Yea, he could have stabbed him, had he had a knife in hand. He could have done a lot of different things, had he reached into his pockets but he didn't. I'm not advocating dismissing the safety factor here but let's get real. Drawing on every bum that gets withing 21' is going to keep the PD pretty busy taking reports.

Once you make the decision to get in that close you have to make a decision to take control of the other person too. Simply drawing a gun isn't going to work here. Carrying a gun requires a lot of other skills besides a fast draw.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links