CCW in semi

CCW in semi

This is a discussion on CCW in semi within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A few years back when I got my cdl, I was told. no firearms allowed in a commercial vehicle. I have been considering a res ...

Thread: CCW in semi

CCW in semi

A few years back when I got my cdl, I was told. no firearms allowed in a commercial vehicle.
    I have been considering a res CCW permit for SC and a non res permit for Fla. this would cover most of the eastern states.
    however if I still cannot carry in a comercial vehicle where I spend 90% of my time. I wonder if I should even bother with CWP.
    what yall think?

Don't qoute Me, but I think Federal DOT regs. say that You are not allowed to possess a firearm in an over the road semi. I think that also means even with a permit it is not allowed.

VIP Member
    While you often hear that is is not legal to carry a weapon while operating a commercial vehicle, no one has ever been able to show me in writing that is is not allowed. I do not have a CDL but my youngest son does. I have tried to find a reference on weapons being prohibited.

I would challenge whoever told you that firearms are prohibited to show you in the regulations where it is not legal.

It has been years, I know most shippers/recievers have signs
    No weapons and No camera/cell phones, vehicles subject to search.
    however I have never been asked except one night in s texas where they started and then turned me away because I have a sm dog. so I wished them a early bankruptsy and left.

It is no where in the law that you cannot ccw in CMV. But check carefully with your employer. Also, if you deliver to any Military Installation or other secured area, you will have problems.

Roger

I don't know if this will help or make things more confusing about the law of carrying a handgun in a semi is legal or not but here it is for your reading.

Title 18 Setcion 926(a). The peacable journey law.

TITLE 18--CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

PART I--CRIMES

CHAPTER 44--FIREARMS

Sec. 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

There is no federal law that says you can not
    jersey no more.. im a texan now

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I agree; don't bother to carry at all. Just make sure you drive your big rig everywhere, even to the corner store for milk.

i asked this question here awhile back the only thing i found was NO carry in cmv in north carolina

Ok this subject comes up from time to time and it goes the same way so I will try to clear up some items.
    I have a CDL and I also have permits 1 res permit and 3 non resident. There is no law that you cannot carry under your permit if legal in a CMV. Now its illegal to carry on a bus or train the way the law reads.Most trucking companies have policies about weapons because they don't want to be libal and be sued. Now I found the best way to carry and keep my weapons(ie:primany and back up) is on my person where my permit is legal and for where its not legal I have a portable gunsafe in my sleeper and I store my weapons in that and my ammo in a small cheapo lock box. I have call DOT and NRA and my State Police CMV inspectors and they all have confirmed I am legal and should have no problems. Only stat I have had a problem in was Ohio when they had the dang open carry in a vehicle and no CCW in rest areas. That has since been taken care of when they revised the law. I am no lawyer and I am just telling you what I did and went thru to make sure I was legal. As far as having your truck searched. My truck has been searched twice in the past few years once by a Border Patrol Agent in Texas and another a shipper/reciever. Only problem was the security guard wanted me to open my safe and he was told get a LEO with a warrant then I will open it. He told me his company can do anything and look anywhere they wanted. Local Police were called and they informed him that I was within my rights and all they could do we ask me to leave. They changed their minds when they were told the redelivery fee was more than double the oringial cost to ship load.
    My advice is to you do your own reserach and make some calls, Look at handgunlaw web site and print the pages out, call your state police and NRA legal section,also try Owner Operators Independant Drivers Assn.OOIDA.
    I also would say remember Concealed Carry means CONCEALLED and do advertise you have a weapon.As far as company policies go thats your call is your right to protect yourself or your job. I can get another job not another life is how I made that choice.
    Sorry for such a long answer but as you know trucking is way to over regulated now and you have to cover your six the same as you do at home.

Quote Originally Posted by XD45SWMo View Post
    Don't qoute Me, but I think Federal DOT regs. say that You are not allowed to possess a firearm in an over the road semi. I think that also means even with a permit it is not allowed.
    There is no federal law, DOT code or any other governmental restriction on carrying firearms in commercial verhicles. There are plenty of company policies that restrict carry in trucks, but the federal law thing is a long-standing myth.

I'm told that if one were to get a non-resident permit for Florida and Utah, those permits are recognized my most states. Check state laws, and the NRA-ILA web site has a good guide.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

I've known lots of truckers with guns......having a CCW permit makes things a lot easier.
    To the OP...
    Even if you cannot have a firearm legally for your work, having it outside of work is still important...get your permit.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Another item to add to this thread is if the truck has a sleeeper. When stopped and used as a sleeper the truck becomes his home. Ther are a number of presedents that allow one to carry handguns in ones own "home".

Links