XS Sights glowing through cover shirt

This is a discussion on XS Sights glowing through cover shirt within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The other day I swapped my XS Night Sights from my XDSC to my XD 5" Tactical. I carry the Tactical pretty much all the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XS Sights glowing through cover shirt

VIP Member

XS Sights glowing through cover shirt

The other day I swapped my XS Night Sights from my XDSC to my XD 5" Tactical. I carry the Tactical pretty much all the time now. I was walking through my dark bedroom and noticed the glow plainly showing through my cover shirt from the sights. I believe it would be easy for someone to spot . Anyone been made this way?
    I put on a little heavier shirt and I couldn't see it. It's rather hot here so I was wearing a thinner shirt. Guess I'll have to heavy up in the evenings...
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

2. Remove Ads

Just tell them you work at a nuclear power plant
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

LOL Im ordering a set of these tonight. If they glow that good i should be able to see them!

Quote Originally Posted by highoctane View Post
    LOL Im ordering a set of these tonight. If they glow that good i should be able to see them!
    your right if they glow thru a shirt they gotta be good
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

SmartCarry could prove to be interesting....
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Nice!
    Now I gotta get a set.......

Awfully bright. I have read that night sights can prove to be more than a distraction than helpful during a night defensive situation. But if you practice with them in low light to get used to them I guess you should be good.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Tritium will also betray your position when you have your pistol in your hands, if your adversary is behind you. At work, on patrol, I need to keep in mind that my openly carried duty pistol will betray my position to my front. This is VERY relevant when I am searching an area with a long gun, which means my pistol is holstered. Tritium is a mixed blessing; learn to work with it.

I have come to generally prefer tritium to be in the front sight only, not in the rear sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    I have come to generally prefer tritium to be in the front sight only, not in the rear sight.
    Now you have me thinking!!!

(Near the Second Amendment But Unfortunately Not Affected By It)
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Buckeye View Post
    Now you have me thinking!!!
    Me too! In a sudden combat situation, we'd be using the front sight only, anyway.

Yes, the XS front sight is bright

BTW, as for the glowing sights, wear a tighter weave or rehearse the line. "Oh, that's my portable kidney dialysis machine."
    NRA 2AF IDPA
    Tactical Pistol Instructor

I don't like night sights just for that reason. If you practice enough you will develope muscle memory so that every time you bring your gun up your sights will be in the same position. Out of the 12 years I worked the street as a city LEO, I never used night sights, and I was on midnights for 9 years (I loved the dog watch). When I carried a revolver I carried an S&W 681 with a groove rear sight and solid blade front. My semi (the one in my avatar) has simple 3 dot sights. I know where my gun is going to be pointing when I bring it up, but I also had the benifit of using dept ammo to shoot the thousands of rounds needed to develope that skill.

Just my 2cw, if you are fortunate, you will never be in a position to have to worry about it one way or the other.
    To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless.
    Lysander Spooner (1808 1887)

Night sights are not going to give away your position unless the BG is standing behind you, at that point you have bigger problems.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have been caught like this too while carrying at a nightclub at night that was both dark _and_ had use of blacklights.

I use XS sights but it's not the brand or the sight, it's the tritium vial that does this.
    Same would occur on most any brand/type sight that has tritium vials.

The first time this happened to me I took myself to a mens room stall _directly_ and pulled out my undershirt to obscure the rear sight.
    It's since occurred a couple of other times under same conditions and I McGyver fixed the issue by taking a napkin as doubled over and placing it on top of the sight, under my cover shirt, which greatly reduces the visual green dot/glow output.
    Optimal though is to not wear a white shirt into such type locations which now is my norm as an experience learned.

To longer term fix this is easy with application of a square of black tape or some folks will black magic marker over the window to reduce it's brightness.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Really hate to have to take off the back sights. I just dont like the factory sights on the XD. Guess I'll just have to watch what I wear..
    ( Or black out the back sight ).
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Night sights are not going to give away your position unless the BG is standing behind you, at that point you have bigger problems.
    It is really not so funny, if you think about it. It is one thing for a bad guy to know you are somewhere out there in the darkness, and quite another for a bad guy to know exactly where you are. Either way, you have problems, but one is more urgent than the other. Try some scenario-type force-on-force training, and see how easily your adversary can get behind you, in daylight. Translate that to darkness.

I evaluate police rookies for a living. Virtually all of them have the full 3-dot tritium set-up on their duty pistols. When searching a building or area, and I want to see how they do it, I follow their tritium. I don't want to back-light them, so I rarely use my own light in that circumstance. Last night, in a narrow gap between two townhomes, I waited at the gate while the rookie walked the full length of the side of the townhome, before moving up to her position. (This keeps both of us from being in a "fatal funnel" at the same time, with no cover.) I could clearly see her tritium at that distance, as three distinct dots. 30-something to 40-ish feet, as I recall.

Watch out, too, for night sights on bright-finished guns. I once awakened to see a quite strange sight in the darkness, the reflected glow of the tritium front sight of a blued revolver, from the perspective of looking at the top of the weapon. This got me to checking, and I noticed that I could see that reflected glow if the weapon was at the angle of a low ready position, and I in the position of a bad guy facing a defender.

I am "qualed" with three SIG P229 "primary" duty pistols, and yes, I own them. One of those only has tritium in the front sight, and another may be converted, sooner or later, to front-only, or possibly all "dark" sights.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links