Wisconsin Firearm Question

This is a discussion on Wisconsin Firearm Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good morning. I am from Michigan and a CPL holder. I will be traveling to Wisconsin this weekend and would like to know if anyone ...

Thread: Wisconsin Firearm Question

Wisconsin Firearm Question

Good morning. I am from Michigan and a CPL holder. I will be traveling to Wisconsin this weekend and would like to know if anyone has any insight as to the limitations to me bringing my pistol (not carrying) with me.

I know my CPL is not valid in Wis. But my wife and I will be traveling and sleeping in a van sized RV and I want to have my gun with me for protection during the night. The rest of the time I will keep it locked up and it will be separated from the ammo.

Since this will be my dwelling am I allowed to protect it?

Thanks for any input.

SB

GO HUSKERS!!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    wish I had a link or something more concrete to back up my statement but I think you'd be just fine. I used to live in WI and I wouldn't bat an eye at having a loaded handgun in my RV while camping. As long as you aren't driving down the road with it uncased, I can't see any issue. Remember, WI is an OC state so you'd be fine walking around with it although I never had the nuts to OC in urban areas.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member
    The motor running is the key here. I would go one step farther, no key in the ignition.
    WISCONSIN

I am surprised at the lack of response. Thank you who did respond. It is very much appreciated.

GO HUSKERS!!

Ok, here is the deal. I went up through IL, and into WI last year in the MH.

Both states require that the firearm be unloaded, in a closed case and the ammunition separate from the gun. No different than during hunting season.

I went so far as to ask both state police about whether or not the firearm could be within reach while traveling. Both states said yes. I then followed with the question about having a compartment directly above my head in the MH, and if it was legal to have to pistol in a soft sided zippered case with the loaded magazine laying right beside the case. Both states said yes that is fine it meets the requirements for unloaded in a closed case.

So take that for what it is worth. Once you get stopped in WI for the night or whatever, what tinkerinwstuff said sounds like sound advice.

Travel safely.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar

Click on the link...........

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    The motor running is the key here. I would go one step farther, no key in the ignition.
    WISCONSIN

Then read the nonsense about toy guns and water pistols. Go Wisconsin.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

njr
    When I took my utah ccw class in the Milwaukee area, my instructor stated that you could have loaded mags in a closed and fastened but unlocked case with an unloaded handgun, as long as the case was in plain view, like on the passenger seat. He also recommended having the WI firearms laws from the NRA site printed out and in the case.

A fellow student however, said that many cops might take a dim view of having loaded mags in the same case and that he unloaded, boxed and stored the ammo separately.

The other thing to know is that having pepper mixed with any other? agent such as CS gas was a felony, the last time I drove around WI, a year ago.

I found my copy of the NRAs Firearms Laws for WI as of July 2006 and it states:

"It is unlawful to possess, place or tansport in or on any aircraft, vehicle, atv, or any motor-driven boat while the motor is running, any firearm unless such firearms is unloaded and in a case..."

Again, I'm not a lawyer, you should look up the statues yourself online, etc.
    By the forests, behind the guns/In the streets and in the houses/Between the tanks, by the roadside/At the hands of the men, of the women, of the children/In the cold, in the dark, in hunger....

Bertolt Brecht, "To The German Soldiers In The East", stanza 9.

Links