SC concealed carry and jogging

This is a discussion on SC concealed carry and jogging within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I typically jog in a rural area. Sometimes when I meet a car, I am forced to move off of the highway and on to ...

Thread: SC concealed carry and jogging

I typically jog in a rural area. Sometimes when I meet a car, I am forced to move off of the highway and on to the grass. The grass basically being the extension of someones front yard. (Like where the mail box would be)
    My question. Am I correct in thinking that I am in violation of SC Law when I step off the road and on to the grass? SC Law requires you to notify when armed on private property.

Thanks in advance.

Could be, but I think your in the right of way, so you could be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by MWatson35 View Post
    I typically jog in a rural area. Sometimes when I meet a car, I am forced to move off of the highway and on to the grass. The grass basically being the extension of someones front yard. (Like where the mail box would be)
    My question. Am I correct in thinking that I am in violation of SC Law when I step off the road and on to the grass? SC Law requires you to notify when armed on private property.

Thanks in advance.
    In most states, the highway's right-of-way extends several feet to either side of the roadway surface. I'd never give carrying on the ROW a second thought unless I had to hop a fence to do it.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

You should be ok

In Michigan, and I think most other states the state maintains a right of way that extends beyond the shoulder of the road. In Michigan o a typical 2 lane road the distance is 30' from the centerline of the road. Since most road lanes are 12-15 feet wide the right of way extends another 15 feet past the shoulder. Think of it this way, if they did not maintain control of this area you would be able to prevent the phone company from placing a telephone pole on your yard. As long as you are in the area reserved for the telephone poles, traffic signs and such you should be OK.
    Of course I am not a laywer, and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Actually, I don't believe it does. It does require a carrier to remove their weapon if the property owner requests it, either verbally or with a sign as noted in the statute.

Quote Originally Posted by MWatson35 View Post
    Am I correct in thinking that I am in violation of SC Law when I step off the road and on to the grass? SC Law requires you to notify when armed on private property.
    No. The law does not require you to notify when carrying on private property. It requires you to get express permission before carrying into a residence or dwelling. No problem with the yard.

Thank you for the clarification.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I don't know about gallant South Carolina, but in New Mexico the right of way extends 15' from the edge of the road.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

You're armed? Jogging and stepping on some grass while you move along?
    I wouldl't even be thinking about it...not a problem worth thinking about for more than a few seconds.

Stay armed...enjoy the jog...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I agree. I wouldnt worry about that either. I think youll be ok.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You're armed? Jogging and stepping on some grass while you move along?
    I wouldl't even be thinking about it...not a problem worth thinking about for more than a few seconds.

Stay armed...enjoy the jog...stay safe!
    Unfortunately the state of affairs of carry laws has made thinking about every move a requirement. Legislatures and Congress have made it very easy to accidentally commit a felony just going about your daily business.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    As already stated, you should be within the right of way , and be ok. Do how do you carry while jogging? I assume that it must be OC, since South Carolina doesn't recognize another state's permit, and doesn't offer nonresident permits, at least unless you own a small piece of land. If you cc, then there is a great product available, although I haven't seen one in several tears. It's similar to a fanny pack, except that it is secured to your chest rather than around the waist.

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    Do how do you carry while jogging? I assume that it must be OC, since South Carolina doesn't recognize another state's permit, and doesn't offer nonresident permits, at least unless you own a small piece of land.
    Not sure who you were aiming that question towards but the OP appears to be a SC resident. His profile says he is from Marion South Carolina. And I would assume he is Concealed Carrying with permit when he is jogging.

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    As already stated, you should be within the right of way , and be ok. Do how do you carry while jogging? I assume that it must be OC, since South Carolina doesn't recognize another state's permit, and doesn't offer nonresident permits, at least unless you own a small piece of land. If you cc, then there is a great product available, although I haven't seen one in several tears. It's similar to a fanny pack, except that it is secured to your chest rather than around the waist.
    It can't be OC since OC is illegal in South Carolina(except on private property). Also SC honors resident permits from Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming. (Thanks handgunlaw.us) We may not be Utah, but I think its a bit unfair to say "South Carolina doesn't recognize another state's permit"
    When in doubt empty the magazine.

"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy." - George Washington

Sponsored Links