Ccarry an extra magazine!

This is a discussion on Ccarry an extra magazine! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From John Farnam: 13 July 09 Why we routinely carry at least one spare pistol magazine, from a friend in FL: "Yesterday, while attending a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ccarry an extra magazine!

From John Farnam:

13 July 09

Why we routinely carry at least one spare pistol magazine, from a friend in
    FL:

"Yesterday, while attending a music program at an open-air amphitheater, I shifted in my seat and experienced a catastrophic failure of the magazine inserted in my G27, which I was carrying concealed in an IWB holster.

The magazine base-cap broke and fell off. The magazine spring and follower immediately fell out, along with several rounds. The rest of the rounds remained within the magazine shell, still locked in the pistol's magazine well.

Happily, the only two people aware of the problem were me and my oldest daughter, who was sitting directly behind me. As discreetly as possible, I removed the shell, and remaining loose rounds from the pistol, and, with my wife's assistance, recovered the spring and follower, all as I remained seated, trying to look as normal as possible.

My G27 stayed in the holster. With the shell and loose rounds cleared from the magazine well, I quietly inserted my spare magazine. Ultimately, only two people, besides me, knew what had happened.

We enjoyed the rest of the concert and returned home without further incident."

Lesson: Always carry at least one spare magazine, not only so that you can reload, but also so that you can get your pistol back into service when the magazine that is already in it, breaks!

"We carried our weapons with us at all times, even when we went for water"

Nehemiah, Chapter 4, Verse 23b

/John

Placed he Glock while trying to place in the safe and next thing i hear is Boing and then same rattling the end of glock floor plate poped off and the spring and ammo was rolling around the safe. You never know what can happen.

Good story. Must don't think things like that can happen. Thanks for posting.
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

Ok, nobody told me of this when I was thinking about buying a Glock

Is this common?

I wonder if it has anything to do with removal of the floor plate for cleaning, maybe not removing it correctly?

Is it more or less often with factory magazines or aftermarket?

Might it have anything to do with keeping a magazine loaded too long?

Maybe a magazine kept full of SD ammo doesn't get as much exercise as practice/range magazines?

Good post, looks like I need to order that single magazine carrier for EDC now.

Joker1

cmb
    never thought about this scenario, more knowledge is good. Here's a question. how do you carry your spare mag?

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Ok, nobody told me of this when I was thinking about buying a Glock
    I don't think you should fixate on the fact that this was a Glock. This sort of thing happens to other makes of gun too. Here's a similar incident Farnam mentioned several years ago:

24 Jan 01

This from a friend in the Midwest:

"Yesterday, I was in a stall of the restroom of a local MacDonald's restaurant. When I removed my pistol (S&W 3953) from the holster prior to lowering my trousers, the magazine dropped out! When it hit the floor the baseplate and retaining plate flew off, loudly scattering eight rounds of Cor-Bon 9mm 115gr all over the floor! Luckily, no one else was in the bathroom at the time.

I quickly rounded up my things. Not wanting to be unarmed, I then tried to put the magazine back together but found that one of the retaining lips had sheered off. So, I had to load my pistol using my spare magazine before going on my way. Both pistol and magazine were brand new, so I'm sure S&W will replace the magazine.

I believe the magazine-release button was inadvertently depressed by the seatbelt buckle in the driver's seat of my car. It must have happened as I exited."

Lessons:

>Check you gear after exiting a vehicle! Magazines being released unintentionally on guns in belt holsters is a common problem when people are buckled into car seats.

>Always carry at least one spare magazine. If the one in your pistol becomes inoperable, you'll be stuck with a one-shot gun if you don't routinely carry a spare. In the case of a pistol which "features" a magazine safety, you'll have a no-shot gun!

/John
    Is this common?
    I wouldn't say it's common, but it does happen occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by cmb View Post
    how do you carry your spare mag?
    Kydex magazine carrier on the hip opposite the gun.

WOW.. I've never hear of this happening.. Hmmmm.. I wonder what causes it?

Guess I'll have to order that spare mag holder.So until then I'll be forced to carry my revolver as a BUG.

VIP Member
    Is this common?

I wonder if it has anything to do with removal of the floor plate for cleaning, maybe not removing it correctly?

Is it more or less often with factory magazines or aftermarket?

Might it have anything to do with keeping a magazine loaded too long?

Maybe a magazine kept full of SD ammo doesn't get as much exercise as practice/range magazines?

Joker1
    nobody told you about it because its not something that is exclusive to Glock, I have 4 glocks, had em for 3,4 years and its not happened
    it can happen with any handgun....murphy's law

it could do with the floor plate not being put back on 100% or correctly seated, etc

I'd say no on your other questions of leaving them loaded too long

aftermarket or non-factory mags could have problems if they don't fit right/not put back together correctly too

don't worry about this if you want a Glock (or any other pistol), just get some spare mags & be prepared
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

cmb
    does anyone make a tuckable holster with mag carrier? i.e. khloster, smart carry... i am tucked in most of the time...

Quote Originally Posted by cmb View Post
    does anyone make a tuckable holster with mag carrier? i.e. khloster, smart carry... i am tucked in most of the time...
    I'm not sure if anybody makes a holster/mag combo,but they do make tuckable mag holders.I believe the smartcarry plus or whatever has a mag pouch
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    nobody told you about it because its not something that is exclusive to Glock, I have 4 glocks, had em for 3,4 years and its not happened
    it can happen with any handgun....murphy's law

it could do with the floor plate not being put back on 100% or correctly seated, etc

I'd say no on your other questions of leaving them loaded too long

aftermarket or non-factory mags could have problems if they don't fit right/not put back together correctly too

don't worry about this if you want a Glock (or any other pistol), just get some spare mags & be prepared

Yeah, I'm not worried. I have a few extra magazines. Thanks.

Joker1

I always carry an extra mag...some cities require a couple more beyond that...
    I think of my extra mag as back up to a mechanical failure rather than of just having more bullets...I'm just sayin'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I've tried a couple of tuckable mag carriers and found them to be horribly uncomfortable no matter how I positioned them. It seems hard to believe that a magazine could be a bigger hindrance to carry than is an entire gun. I settled on a Desantis MagPacker pocket mag pouch, which I like very much.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links