Truck console security

This is a discussion on Truck console security within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have an old weekend truck that I want to build a console for. I was thinking about adding a holster or compartment to secure ...

Thread: Truck console security

Truck console security

I have an old weekend truck that I want to build a console for.
    I was thinking about adding a holster or compartment to secure my pistol, if for whatever reason I can't have it on me. Surfing around I found these vaults that are pretty neat Drop Down Electronic Secure Vault America Safe Depot Gun Home Biometric Pistol Vault Safes
    Anybody got one similar...likes/dislikes?

2. Remove Ads

Something to consider when dealing with consoles, how easy it for you to access your pistol? I have a large SUV, which has a good size console between bucket seats. The problem is, to open it I have to pull the top from upwards (from 9 to 12 o'clock), and it is difficult to get my gun out with my right hand. I've found I'm much faster reaching a tad further to my glove compartment than my console. Maybe you won't have the trouble I had with my vehicle.
    Our kindness may be the most persuasive argument for that which we believe.

-Gordon B. Hinckley-

You need to be VERY careful of the laws within your home state and any states you might possibly drive that truck through. In Illinois [possibly the most analy retentive state in the union] if it can be construed as a "secret or concealed compartment" by any idiot in law enforcement, you are in, as we locals like to call it "deep poo poo".

A console locking compartment is too obvious for keeping a gun in one's car. You're better off using a Center of Mass safe and hiding its presence...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I put a cheap pistol safe from Walmart behind the seat of my truck. I drilled holes in it and ran a bicycle cable lock through it, then through a secure place on my seat. The safe is out of sight, it isn't totally burglar proof, but I was more worried that some idiot looking for money or cd's or something would break in and find my pistol. I only use it when I'm at work, 'cause I can't carry.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    +1 on the COM lock box (Secure-It). Out of sight and easy to get to. Plus it's easy to move from vehicle to vehicle and also doubles as a hotel/motel/camper safe.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I put a cheap pistol safe from Walmart behind the seat of my truck.
    IS this the safe for $20 or so....I like the box construction, but the lock. Took me a whole 10 - 15 seconds of ever trying to pick a lock to get it open. I like the locks on the COM better. I know if some one wants it, they will eventually get it.
    Never argue with idiots - they'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

I have a truck with the center console too. I had a galco paddle holster that I took the clip off and mounted inside the console. The good thing about the holster is that the holes are already there from where the screws attach the paddle to it, I even used the same screws to attach it to the console. It is very convenient and very easy to access. When I can't take my gun inside with me I installed a mini- gun vault under the back seat and attached it to the frame with a locking cable. Let me tell you I had the mini-vault for around a year and had a problem. I called customer service told them what it was doing, bam, the guy didnt waste any time said another was on its way and sent me return postage for the old one. Very impressive customer service.

I have seen, but can't remember where (I'm no real help today), a safe made specific to certain trucks consoles. You tell them what you have and they send it to you and you install it.

If I have a momentary lapse of intelligence I'll post a link later.

Edit: It finally hit me to Google it, I'm telling you I am out of it today. here ya go, http://www.truckstuffusa.com/consolevaults.html
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

The boxes do secure the weapon, but what secures the box? It only takes a matter of minutes or seconds for an experienced car thief or car prowler to not only take your box, but take your whole truck. Once removed from the scene, it is a matter of applied physics to remove the pistol from the box.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    The boxes do secure the weapon, but what secures the box?
    Oh, that's easy. Lean the safe against a claymore with a wire.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

VIP Member
    I have put GunVaults in my vehicles.....They use a combo to open, but also have a round key backup. Should be able to pick one up for around $100.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar

vehicle safes/vaults

You can only makes things a little more difficult or slow the bugger down. If they want it they'll get it.

That said, I found this thread because I wanted to ask the question. I know this unit just screams gun.

Anyone here have one of these or actually seen one in person?
    Product: Smith & Wesson QuickDraw™

TruckVault? - Secure Storage Solutions -

What did you think of it? Likes or dislikes?

Any ideas how to camouflage it without impeding access?
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Here's Mine

Custom built console

Links