First time out today CCW....the good and the bad, with gear pic....

This is a discussion on First time out today CCW....the good and the bad, with gear pic.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; well, i took off work early today and headed down to the sheriffs office to pick up my CCW permit.....the picture on my permit looks ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First time out today CCW....the good and the bad, with gear pic....

well, i took off work early today and headed down to the sheriffs office to pick up my CCW permit.....the picture on my permit looks WORSE than the one on my drivers liscense, LOL....

after spending the past month trying to find a suitable holster/belt combo from an online vendor to start wearing, with no luck....i decided to go by my local shop after i got my permit (ive got an order in with TT gunleather, but its gonna be a while)......

to my surprise my local shop had a great selection of holsters from DeSantis and Galco....I tried on several holsters and settled on the Galco Concealable....

my $5 Wal Mart belt i was wearing did not hold the gun up very well, so i bought a Wilderness Tactical Instructor Belt....

Both the belt and the holster are AWESOME...i really like both........

so i came home, fitted my gun to the holster (Sig 229/357)/belt and went out on my maiden-voyage, to where else......good ol' WAL MART.....

i have read soooooo many horror threads about carrying in wal mart (mostly on ar15.com) i thought if anything was going to go wrong carrying it would be in wal mart.......

i spent about an hour walking around, shopping and browsing..i felt like i had a big red sign above my head that says "THIS GUYS GOTTA GUN, CALL THE COPS".......happy to say, no one even noticed...i even bent over several times and no one even noticed.....

i already have an "alibi" ready if someone says to me "is that a gun youre carrying under there"......instead of saying "none of your freakin' business"...im gonna' say its a medical device.....

well, i got to the checkout and this is where the "bad" part comes in.......im reaching for my wallet and its in my right-back pocket......uh-ohhhh.....i cant get it out without pulling up my shirt well, thankfully there was no one behind me and i told the checker i had to go to the bathroom......went in real quick and pulled my wallet out...from now on it rides in my LEFT pocket...lol

one thing i may have to get is some "wife beater" shirts to wear under my T shirt...i noticed the holster started rubbing my side after about an hour so i may have to look into that.....

all in all, a good day and a good experience.......

here is my gear pic:

You even got ammo ? Great walk indeed.

Fast thinking on the wallet. If some one asks if you are carrying a gun, just tell them it's extra kleenex because you have the swine flu.

Quote Originally Posted by jhh3rd View Post
    Fast thinking on the wallet. If some one asks if you are carrying a gun, just tell them it's extra kleenex because you have the swine flu.
    Ha! the swine flu!
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    i have read soooooo many horror threads about carrying in wal mart (mostly on ar15.com) i thought if anything was going to go wrong carrying it would be in wal mart......
    Well trying to carry concealed with a ar15 in WalMart, or anywhere else is going to be difficult!

Congrats on your permit and rig.

VIP Member
    Congrats.... everyday gets easier...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Congrats! Great walk.

Inquiring minds want to know! Did you find any ammo at wal-mart? Refer to WWW checklist. I use the wife beaters also, they protect your side.

Congrats on getting your permit and joining the legally armed.

Joker1

Well congrats sounds like everything went well. I had to switch sides with my wallet too!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Congrats on your 1st walk Bruce. I'll never forget my 1st. It was in a hospital while my wife was having surgery. I figured I would have a lot of time to read since their ain't much to do in a hospital so I brought along that little blue Concealed Carry rule booklet to refresh my memory a bit. When I went to meet with the doctor following the surgery I somehow left the book on the table in the little meeting room. When I got back to the waiting room I was like Oh $hit I left the book in there. When I tried to re-enter the hallway to go back the automatic doors were locked. My heart started racing with all kinds of thoughts about what was going to happen when someone finds a booklet titled Concealed Carry yada yada yada in a hospital.. I told the guard (Female) on duty that I forgot some literature in the conference room and asked if I could go back in to retrieve it. She said "that's OK I'll run in there and get it for you". That was NOT WHAT I WANTED TO HERE. Well anyway I was committed now so I had to say OK. After she was gone longer than I thought she should my heart started racing a million miles an hour and there happened to be an ambulance coming in with sirens blasting. I thought it was LE personnel... Talk about paranoia... Seconds later the guard walked in with the booklet and handed it to me with a grin. There was no way she could have not seen the print on the cover. Anyway there were no words exchanged other than a "thank you" and "your welcome" so apparently she was cool with my choice of literature. It was an experience I will never forget.

Cheers,
    Tommy
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them. Richard Henry Lee 1788

Congrats on the "well-rounded" WW Trek...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Yeah for a great first day. Glad you found some decent gunleather in stock (no offense to Uncle Mike). How do you like the Wilderness belt?
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Congrats, nice rig...good report too.

Congrats, nice walk. I had rx'd my permit and had started carrying, my wife was still waiting on hers at the time. When we were out, I'd talk to her and see if she noticed or if anyone else did and to which she replied no. I said, see the big sign you think you have over your head is only visible to you. most will not know what to look for. It was helping her get more comfortable seeing that no one noticed me and how it didnt phase me having a sidearm with me. Now just waiting for a new rig from crossbreed so she can take hers with her.
    Never argue with idiots - they'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Congrats! I'm waiting on a Wilderness belt, here good things about them. I'm waiting on custom holster & belt from K&D, this belt should do until then. Good luck, be safe...
    Bosun
    Semper Paratus
    "Never choose a life at sea--it holds you like a prison"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links