Road Rage: Be Careful Out There!!

This is a discussion on Road Rage: Be Careful Out There!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got myself almost involved in some Road Rage today. It was utterly ridiculous, which is what makes it so scary. I dropped my oldest ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Road Rage: Be Careful Out There!!

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar

Road Rage: Be Careful Out There!!

I got myself almost involved in some Road Rage today. It was utterly ridiculous, which is what makes it so scary.

I dropped my oldest daughter off at her mom's house and headed to work. As I neared the intersection leading to the on-ramp to the expressway, I noticed a guy ahead of me who was wanting to come into my lane- - he was signalling and his pickup was lurching and he was making gestures with his arms. Apparently he hadn't known or remembered where the on-ramp was located and needed to get ahead of me to get on.

No problemo. Really. I slowed down and the guy got in front of me

The story should have ended there- but it didn't. Some wiseacre behind me, and in the lane from which my new friend had orginated, decided to honk at my new friend for (presumably?) inconveniencing him.

Well, at this point, mistaken identity came into play and my short-lived friendship came to an abrupt halt.

Dude in truck I just let over gets the idea I was the honker, thereby dissing him.

OMG, folks, his reaction was incredible!! He slows down in front of me, he speeds up in front of me, he is screaming through his window at me, he is shaking his fist at me, he is flipping me off.

And the whole time, I can't believe it. I let the guy over. It wasn't me who honked at his hypersensitive, thin-skinned ass (can I say that here?).

I made what was, in hindsight, an error in judgment (no, I didn't flip him off in return). I tried to signal to himusing hand gestures that I wasn't the guy who honked at him.

Big mistake. The dude thought I was motioning for him to pull over to the side of the road for a fistfight.

Uh...nope.

I drive on by, after he stops. It really starts getting interesting at that point.

He pulls up beside me and swerves. He gets in front of me and slams on the brakes. He gets behind me and tailgates. He flips me off, mouths naughty little words at me and gestures wildly.

I am torn at this point- - on one hand, it's sort of amusing. First, because the dude is so easily ticked off. I mean his life must be one endless journey through fury-land. Second, because I'm not the so-called culprit. I am not even the party who did him...uh..."wrong".

On the other hand, of course, I also realize that this could escalate into a (more?) dangerous situation.

Well, I love this board, 'cause it taught me exactly what to do. I figured I'd try to lose him, and if I couldn't I'd just head to the nearest PoPo station and dial 9-1-1 (if I could remember the number :) ).

Well, as it turns out, when he is front of me, I turn off the expressway and lose his sorry ass. Just about the best possible result.

But friends, be REAL careful out there. And don't do ANYTHING communicative toward a road-rager when he is blooming.

Stay moving, do not engage, get rid of him if you can, and get help if you have to.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

2. Remove Ads

Glad that you lost him. I have had my share of knot-heads go off on me and I just ignore them. I do not invest any ego into these scenes. Good job.

Distinguished Member
    +1 Exemplary tale of how road rage happens and how to respond.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

VIP Member
    Randy, did he have Kansas plates on his truck? You know how those guys get when they hit the OK state line. (j/k all you jayhawkers)

You kept a cool head and did what you needed to do. There's no way your going to control 100% of situations 100% of the time. Glad it all worked out OK for you.

Yep. ^^

Bottom Line: People, there are crazy ones...and they do crazy things.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

So that was you that honked at me?????????

J/K...you handled it well, glad you're ok.
    ((Place funny, whitty comment here))

There is way to much stress in the world . A lot of good people are taking out their rage on the road. those who egg it on by responding are playing a deadly game. It seems like some peoples attitude changes for the worse once they get behind the wheel.

Sounds like you did good. I hate road ragers. Its very easy to let yourself be pulled into them.

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    No time for drama.....too much to laugh at and enjoy.

Good Job keeping your head where it needed to be!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I would have ignored him while calling 911 because somebody that jaced up needs to be taken off the road before he hurts somebody but if it worked for you thats what counts

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    You did great, just sorry that you had to put up with the jerk's antics. I had a similar situation happen to me in he 1970's. I was driving my girlfriend's car, a Vega, when we travelled down to Atlanta. Driving back to Richmond, a truck driver, complete with his trailer, got angry at me for some perceived slight (no idea why). He was tailgating us in the Vega, driving 75-80. I'm talking about on my bumper. I had visions of something happening in front of me that required me to break. We would have been under the semi. I pulled into the right lane at my first opportunity. He passed, then started slowing down. If I tried to pass, he would move to block me. I thought for sure that he was going to force us to stop, then attack me. And this was long before I had a CCW, or even own a gun. As an exit neared, I signaled a right turn, indicating that I would exit. He was watching carefully in his mirrors. I waited until the last moment, and turned onto the exit. This moron then moved to cut m off, driving off the road, into a shallow ditch, and driving up onto the grass to reach the exit ramp. He almost had his trailer fall over! As he did this, and since I wasn't going fast, I was able to turn back onto the highway. He was committed, and had to get off of the highway. I floored the Vega, and was up around 90mph, just to try to get as far from this moron as I could. I got off at the next exit, found a gas station, and called the state police, giving them a description, including the driver's name on the driver's door. I never heard anything, I doubt that they took any action, but I was scared for our lives for a while.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Glad you are ok.I would call 911 when he pulled beside me and swerved. That kind of driving can get people killed. You never know what people are on in our day and age.

I always wonder how people like that get through life, they must make everyone around them miserable.

I once worked for a guy who was PROUD that someone who tried to merge onto a highway in front of him ran out of lane, and hit a barrier, because he wasn't going to slow down for anyone. I don't know if they were supposed to fall in behind him, even though he stated he had to speed up to box them in, but this moron thought it was great that he 'showed him a lesson'.

I honestly think if he had pulled that in my town, I'd have written as many tickets as I could think of. Some people don't get it.

When I was growing up, there was actually a ONE LANE bridge, on a two lane road. The ONLY sign posted simply said "Take Turns". To my knowledge, it almost never had accidents. People seem to have lost that, everything is "I'll go first, I'm more important".
    Guns don't kill people.
    Gaping wounds in vital organs do.
    ============
    NRA Life Member
    Colt M1911A1 / H&K USP45

This stuff seems to happen more often in todays "every ones in a hurry" climate. People use to have better manners when driving.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links