Heckuva Traffic Stop - - Long

This is a discussion on Heckuva Traffic Stop - - Long within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It wasn't a good day on the road for me today. This morning, I got close to being a victim of road rage. This afternoon, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heckuva Traffic Stop - - Long

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar

Heckuva Traffic Stop - - Long

It wasn't a good day on the road for me today. This morning, I got close to being a victim of road rage.

This afternoon, I got pulled over by the Highway Patrol. I was taking my son home to his mom's house after I got off work. My wife was with me.

Now, I hate to break to anyone on here who harbors illusions about my behavior. Some of us on this board are very, very solid citizens. They don't speed, they don't double-park, they don't roll through stop signs, they don't jaywalk, etc.

I am not like that.

I drive too fast. I do it often.

It's bad. I know. It's a habit I can afford.

Again, I don't mean to offend the more law-abiding and respectful of authority among us. It's just the way it is. Please don't think disproportionately less of me for this particular flaw.

Anyway, I've been stopped a lot. Sometimes I get tickets. Sometimes I don't.

Since the Sooner State is a State where a licensed carrier of a concealed handgun must inform law enforcement in "official contacts" (i.e., traffic stops) that he is carrying, I always do.

Most of the time the LEO doesn't even ask whether I have a weapon. He just looks at the license (I hand it over with my Driver's License and insurance verification), gives me a speech about being safe, and issues me a ticket or a warning.

(motorcycle officers, by the way, are ALWAYS going to give you a ticket, IME).

Sometimes the LEO will talk guns a little bit. Some will ask if I have a weapon in the car.

Most of the time, though, they don't ask, don't care and write me a ticket (or not) and send me on my merry (if lead-footed) way.

NOT TODAY.

I hand over the licenses and the insurance paperwork. He asks me if I have a gun on me.

"Yup".

"Get out of the truck", followed by "where is it?"

"in my right front pocket"

"place your hands on the tailgate"

"is it here?"

"nope...it's in the pocket on top of that pocket"

"OK...is this it?"

"Yup"

"What is it?"

"A Smith & Wesson 340, .357 Magnum"

".357 Sig?"

"No, magnum"

"A revolver?"

"Yup".

So he pulls it out, unloads it, and hands it to my wife through the passenger window.

"Have a seat in the front of the cruiser" (I thought about getting into the driver's seat, since he didn't specify, but I decided against it).

Now things start to get interesting.

"Is that the ONLY weapon in your vehicle?"

"Nope".

Well, I also end up telling where my 360PD and my Super Redhawk Alaskan were.

"And they're both loaded?"

"Yup".

"Hang on, I've got to clear them, too.

"Okay"

"Oh, by the way, does your wife have a weapon on her?"

Since she is licensed and does carry, and since I don't know if she has one on her, I say "I don't know for sure. I doubt it. But you'll probably want to ask her".

He rolls his eyes, I kid you not.

He goes up, pulls my other two guns out, unloads them, and hands the cartridges to her.

He starts back to the cruiser with the cylinders opened up on all three revolvers, with his index finger stuck under the top strap of the guns, all in a row. It's pretty impressive. Dude is rolling his eyes like you only see in the movies.

Well, friends, it gets even more interesting here.

My wife asks him if he wants the UN-loaded one, too.

"Huh?"

I had just picked up a .22 revolver that I had "won" on gunbroker from the FFL through whom I had it transferred. It was still in the box. I had forgotten that I had it with me. (I also forgot that I had just bought 500 rounds of ammo for it, too, and that they were in the truck as well, but that didn't play into the story).

He gets the box and looks at me: "Is this one new?"

"Yup. Forgot about it. Sorry."

He asks my wife: "Does your son have a weapon on him, too?"

She fights back the urge to say "I dunno...I hope not...I told him to leave it at home..." and simply says "No".

Then he asks my son if he has a gun on him. "No, but I have these two drumsticks" (another story).

Finally, the Trooper gets back to me. Three revolvers on one index finger and a gun in a box in the opposite hand. He just stares at me.

"Do you shoot a lot?"

"Yup. Every chance I get."

"How long have you been shooting?"

"All my life. Grew up with guns and shooting."

He rolls his eyes a few more times.

He gives me a ticket (I think it's for making him work more than it is for speeding - -but I was certainly speeding, no doubt about it).

Then he mutters a line that makes me smile (and makes me think he shouldn't have given me a ticket, 'cause I gave him a good story):

"That's the most weapons I have ever pulled out of any vehicle. Legal or illegal."

He hands my guns back and tells me to keep them out of sight on the way back to my truck, 'cause if I don't someone will call in a shootout ("...it's happened before, Sir", he says).

I get in the truck, get re-loaded and re-situated, ready to go about my business.

Then I see the cruiser moving rapidly, backward, toward me. I'm a little alarmed.

He pulls next to me (dude could freakin' DRIVE, I tell ya...he could DRIVE that car....you should have seen how he maneuvered it in traffic to get to me at the beginning of the stop), and down goes his window.

He forgot my new gun in the box -- he'd put it on the floor and it hit his foot as he accelerated away.

He forgot about it "Because there were just so many!" he said.

He smiled, and drove off.
    Last edited by randytulsa2; July 15th, 2009 at 09:58 PM. Reason: bad spelling...again
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

2. Remove Ads

Very interesting story.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

I just don't understand why someone would go through the trouble of unloading each of them instead of just having you leave them in the car while you came back to the cruiser.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

VIP Member
    ROTFLMAO.....he didn't say anything about the AR15 in the gun rack?

VIP Member
    I would love to hear what he told his buddies when he got back to the station.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I would love to hear what he told his buddies when he got back to the station.
    x2! :D

Lol Good story. I tend to drive a little fast too. I havent gotten pulled over since ive gotten my permit. *Knocks on wood*

He should have let you go for giving him the experience, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK87 View Post
    I just don't understand why someone would go through the trouble of unloading each of them instead of just having you leave them in the car while you came back to the cruiser.
    Scared the passenger would use them?

VIP Member
    Sounds like a good enough ending. You got the ticket you admit you deserved. Nothing really bad happened. Cop thinks he did his job; and maybe he did.

Bet he has been ordered, told, trained, whatever to disarm and unload, and he did that. Silly, sure. But, doing his job as he was told.

Guy was honest. Went out of the way to give you back your new gun. Didn't drive off with it.

Take home lesson. DON'T speed. One of these days your luck will run out and you'll kill yourself, your passenger, or an innocent.

I've not a lot of high regard for folks who openly brag that they break the law.
    And cc folk should be law abiding.

That sounded like Jim Carrey in "The Mask" when he's being arrested, and pulling weapon after weapon out of pockets in his costume. :)
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

If he was going to give the weapons back to you anyway, why unload them...ALL of them, sounds pretty petty to me.
    He needed to do his ticket thing and be on his way.

I like your story though...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Enjoyed the story.
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Ok, I won't write you a ticket...cause your story and storytelling made me smile too. Keep speeding, it keeps the Sooner state in business. Thanks for the laugh!
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Sounds like a good enough ending. You got the ticket you admit you deserved. Nothing really bad happened. Cop thinks he did his job; and maybe he did.

Bet he has been ordered, told, trained, whatever to disarm and unload, and he did that. Silly, sure. But, doing his job as he was told.

Guy was honest. Went out of the way to give you back your new gun. Didn't drive off with it.

Take home lesson. DON'T speed. One of these days your luck will run out and you'll kill yourself, your passenger, or an innocent.

I've not a lot of high regard for folks who openly brag that they break the law.
    And cc folk should be law abiding.
    +1 Hopyard

The fact that you can AFFORD a speeding ticket does not out way the danger to innocent lives.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links