Wiping Down Your EDC Weapon

This is a discussion on Wiping Down Your EDC Weapon within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do you wipe down the outside of your carry gun every night? And if so with what? I'm still new to concealed carry. In fact, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wiping Down Your EDC Weapon

Wiping Down Your EDC Weapon

Do you wipe down the outside of your carry gun every night? And if so with what?

I'm still new to concealed carry. In fact, today was my first day carrying all day long. I'm carrying IWB and my holster doesn't have the leather piece that comes up between the slide and my body. I also don't wear an under shirt, so the slide frequenlty comes in contact with my skin.

My gun is a Walter PPS and from what I understand the finish is similar to the Glock Tennifer.

2. Remove Ads

I'll join you in your noobness. I have a 3rd gen G19 that I carry in a crossbreed supertuck, I wear an undershirt. What does everyone use to wipe the slide and what do you use to clean the polymer parts? (quick wipe-down type cleaning)

Joker1

My EDC never comes out of the holster other than for drawing/dry fire practice, and range time.
    From the range, everything gets cleaned, other than that...my guns live on their own...I MAY give them a quick wipe-down once in a while.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'd have to go with retsupt99. I will occasionally take mine out of the holster to wipe the lint and little dust it picks up on the laser off. Other than that it sleeps.
    Never argue with idiots - they'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Every so often, I give mine a little wipe with the silicone cloth, but most days, it comes out of the supertuck and goes into the GunVault.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    I wipe it down with a silicone cloth. I often respray the cloth with food-grade silicone just to keep it effective.

Mine live in the holsters too but I let them out to breathe when I put them in the safe.

I rotate between my Kimbers and my M&P45 but I wipe mine down every time with a silicone rag and occasionally spray some Breakfree on it. I don't ever store mine in the holster as I'm concerned what the tannins in the leather might do to the finish. It may be a non-issue but I would rather not risk it. When done carrying in the holsters, I have a fanny pack that I put the M&P45 in as it also has a some extra mags and a flashlight in it. This is my bedside / go to work / keep close by gun as it's fairly discreet and convenient this way. The Kimbers get put away.

I just clean mine with gunzilla after i shoot it at the range. I try to shoot once a week. As far as everyday, Im with Ret, It never comes out of the holster.

My Galco IWB has a nice leather shield between me and the frame ( S&W 649 Bodyguard). My J frame shares time between my IWB holster, pancake holster and pocket holster so I do handle it frequently. I wipe down with a silicon cloth that I "refresh" every now and then.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    As long as the finish is intact and no metal is showing through, it's not necessary to frequently wipe down the exterior. Stainless guns are about the same, I never do anything to the exterior and have yet to see any signs of corrosion.
    A blued gun on the other hand should never be kept in a holster long term. The blueing will pick up moisture and rust. A very light coating of oil will help protect the finish. I wouldn't recommend a blue gun as a carry weapon, unless preservation of the finish is not a concern.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by Freakdaddy View Post
    I rotate between my Kimbers and my M&P45 but I wipe mine down every time with a silicone rag and occasionally spray some Breakfree on it. I don't ever store mine in the holster as I'm concerned what the tannins in the leather might do to the finish. It may be a non-issue but I would rather not risk it. When done carrying in the holsters, I have a fanny pack that I put the M&P45 in as it also has a some extra mags and a flashlight in it. This is my bedside / go to work / keep close by gun as it's fairly discreet and convenient this way. The Kimbers get put away.
    Gun always comes out of the holster each night. Dunno how the leather tannins would affect the slide finish, but the moisture trapped inside a leather holster is surely not good for the gun or the holster. Let 'em both air out over night.
    If I don't shoot it, I wipe the gun down with Weaponshield every few weeks. Otherwise, I leave it be.

What does everyone do immediately after shooting? I hate having to reholster after a day at the range. All the powder residue on the slide/muzzle contaminating the inside of my Sparks. Am I being too anal about this or do you wipe it down with something prior to reholstering?
    HK45c V1

Removed from holster everyday and wiped down with a silicone gun cloth every 2 or 3 days. All my guns are field stripped and cleaned after each trip to the range.
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them. Richard Henry Lee 1788

VIP Member
    For my blued guns that see a lot of carry time I usually use Flitz polish on them. It seems to give the finish good protection.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Do you wipe down the outside of your carry gun every night? And if so with what?
    Yes....mostly with the t-shirt I'm wearing at the time (100% cotton). The other times, its with one of my Gunzilla soaked gun rags which just happen to be old 100% cotton t-shirts ripped into pieces. I sweat on my Glock most days.

My guns come out once a week for a cloth and nylon brush cleaning and inspection whether they need it or not. After breaking in the leather in new holsters, the guns do not stay in them over night (unless traveling or some other good reason to keep them out of the safe). I disassemble and clean after every range trip (at least two good cleanings) and then they are re lubricated. 100% cotton cloths usually with a touch of rem oil then wiped dry. Even the Glock gets the fancy treatment.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links