Making the switch from IWB to OWB carry

This is a discussion on Making the switch from IWB to OWB carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After carrying OWB for the last few days w/o issue and actually with much benefit, I'm seriously considering making the permanent switch. Basically I'm realizing ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Making the switch from IWB to OWB carry

Making the switch from IWB to OWB carry

After carrying OWB for the last few days w/o issue and actually with much benefit, I'm seriously considering making the permanent switch.

Basically I'm realizing that the extreme all day comfort is by far outweighing a very slight concealment advantage. I figure with the rare chance that someone would notice the slight deformity in my shirt very few would consider the fact that I was carrying a gun. Lets say someone does realizes this once in a blue moon or so, it really doesn't matter because I'm legal and I would probably never see that individual again. And if things don't work out I can always go back to IWB.

What do you guys think? Is there anyone else out there pondering the same thought?
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them. Richard Henry Lee 1788

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by TomAdams View Post
    ... a very slight concealment advantage...
    ??? My IWB has a major concealment advantage over any of my OWBs
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    ??? My IWB has a major concealment advantage over any of my OWBs
    I honestly don't see that much of a difference.. Might depend on the holsters. My IWB holsters cause my pants and shirt to stick out 1 holster width further and my OWB holster causes my holster and shirt to stick out 1 holster width further. The only advantage I'm seeing with the IWB is the ability to tuck in a shirt and the holster doesn't show when lifting my arms with a shorter tailed shirt.. For me it's the added comfort of the OWB holster that outweighs the disadvantages. IMO of course.
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them. Richard Henry Lee 1788

After carrying OWB for the last few days w/o issue and actually with much benefit, I'm seriously considering making the permanent switch.

Basically I'm realizing that the extreme all day comfort is by far outweighing a very slight concealment advantage.

What do you guys think?
    The best, and most comfortable choice I have ever made.

Kevin Jensen
    Utah State Researcher,
    www.opencarry.org

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I long ago quit worrying about people noticing a slight bump in a cover garment. As you say, the comfort gained outweighs the concealment loss. I could never draw as fast from IWB as I could OWB, and it was never as comfortable.

Whichever method that works best for each individual is fine. OWB works best for me.

Administrator

Holster selection has much to do with successful discreet OWB carry.

Also, a good quality proper gun belt is much more critical for OWB carry than IWB. You need a good holster that is designed to pull the gun butt in close in combination with a best quality gun belt.

My favorite concealed carry rig these days is this one for my SIG/Browning BDA .45 <~> (Euro SIG P220) that Matt Del Fatti made for me.

When this particular "forward rake" holster is worn behind the strong side hip there is absolutely no concealment advantage that IWB has over OWB.

VIP Member
    I use to carry OWB all the time, I am fairly thin and the gun would print some. I decided to try IWB carry and found it more stable and just a comfortable, so I have been doing it ever since, and have slowly added IWB holsters for most of my EDC's.

I honestly don't see that much of a difference.. Might depend on the holsters. My IWB holsters cause my pants and shirt to stick out 1 holster width further and my OWB holster causes my holster and shirt to stick out 1 holster width further. The only advantage I'm seeing with the IWB is the ability to tuck in a shirt and the holster doesn't show when lifting my arms with a shorter tailed shirt.. For me it's the added comfort of the OWB holster that outweighs the disadvantages. IMO of course.
    The other concealment advantage to IWB is that nothing shows below belt level. If the concealment garment rides up a bit, you don't expose the weapon as you can while carrying OWB. At least for me, the same issue allows the IWB to be carried lower, which makes for an easier draw since the concealment garment doesn't have to be lifted as high to clear the weapon.

Having said all that, I do find OWB more comfortable, but I still usually opt for the stability and better concealment that IWB offers.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I do not see a great advantage in IWB. You still have the grip that will show unless you wear a sloppy shirt. I could never wear one of those inside my pants and down the front types.

If one has a cover garment it needs to be a little longer, but that is not a problem, and the greater comfort is worth it.

I admit that I don't try to carry a 5 inch 1911 wearing shorts and a tight T.

Regards,
    Jerry

cmb
    I tried a galco owb holster on vacation a family had and I did not like it as well... perhaps it was the belt... but it felt as if the gun was in my arm pit to keep the muzzle from hanging to low... it was a full size 1911... personally iwb and the availibilty of tuckable holsters is great...

In my daily activities, owb is an impossibilty but if it works for you do what is best...

I made the switch to OWB several years ago and I haven't looked back. I can conceal as well as IWB and a lot more comfortable!!
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Jensen View Post
    The best, and most comfortable choice I have ever made.

I like the sutle opencarry.org reference on your holster.

Chris a.k.a. ParaChem (opencarry.org)
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I only use my IWB when I want to tuck my shirt...otherwise it is OWB all the way for comfort. If I occasionally print a touch, well I live in an OC state so no biggie. :)
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

I just tried the OWB approach while traveling in the Northern states, and it is very comfortable.
    I still like my IWB carry, and for hot days in FL, IWB offers a bit more concealment.
    I guess it depends upon the rig, the clothes, and one's taste for the day....both serve a purpose.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The advantage of IWB over OWB is not that great to me either -- most of the time. If I'm wearing some very close fitting clothes then IWB may have the slight advantage but that mode of dress isn't one of my favorites. Nearly every thing I own now was purchased around concealed carrying of a gun and is a size larger than necessary. I think the advantage becomes more negligible as the size of the gun decreases too. So a guy that's carrying a Mark 23 may have a different take on it than a guy with a XD40c or a 442.

I do both, but without a doubt when I can, I carry OWB.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links