Problems with wearing an empty IWB holster?

This is a discussion on Problems with wearing an empty IWB holster? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know one should probably wear an IWB holster with the firearm inside, but it's not always practical/comfortable to do so. Particularly when I'm at ...

I know one should probably wear an IWB holster with the firearm inside, but it's not always practical/comfortable to do so. Particularly when I'm at home, sitting at my desk, I like to keep the pistol on the desk in front of me. Problem is I also keep my holster on. Leather belt loop-type holsters are NOT very amenable to taking on and off. I could obviate the whole problem by going the kydex route/IWB clips, but I've used those before and they're terribly uncomfortable for me.

My question is it a big no-no to wear a leather holster for any prolonged period of time without the firearm in it? The VMII has a metal reinforced mouth, so I don't think I have to worry about that losing shape/collapsing. Is there any other concerns I should have about wearing an empty holster?
    HK45c V1

I have always been told to not wear a leather holster without the gun. I might try just loosening your belt up so there wasn't tension on the holster when the gun is sitting in front of you.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Bonehead - Just find something that is the same shape/length/wideth/height as your weapon.. For instance, I cannot carry at work, but I carry to work,.. I carry a G26 and found a G19 mag is the same size as the nose of the weapon. So when I get to work and lock my weapon, I slide the G19 mag in the place of and I go about my workday until I leave and replace my weapon in the holster.. It hasn't effected my old holster and when I asked Rocky about my new holster, he looked at it and side,.. "ya, that will work"... LOL..

Just need to keep the size of it retained...

Well, come to think of it...I hardly ever wear my IWB holsters empty. Why would I? Maybe there would be times when you go to those places where carry is not allowed like the courthouse or a polling place and you just wanted to remove the pistol and keep the IWB holster where it is. Actually, one of my IWB holsters is kydex and I seem to remember it being most uncomfortable without a Glock in it and very comfortable with. My leather IWB holsters collapse a bit without a pistol in them, and they are comfortable either way I reckon. Tell you what......depending on the type of pistol you carry, you may want to look into the DeSantis Scorpion IWB kydex holster. It IS easy on/off with or without your pistol in it. Easier to take off without unbuckling your belt actually, and a bit more involved to put it back on, but the hooks go right over your belt, and are open at the bottom. The Scorpion won't collapse a bit when worn empty. I'm really liking my new Galco SkyOps holster though since it's a tuckable design. Thing is, it goes nearly flat devoid of pistol.

Blue Guns

Ring Mfg. in Melbourne FL makes plastic blue guns of almost all makes and models. They also make mags.
    I use the mags for dry fire in pistols with mag safeties.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Thanks for the replies. Again, I realize having something (preferably the gun itself) in the holster is better than nothing, but I want to know if it's doing any real damage to the holster by wearing it empty. Putting a in mag or a blue gun is still sitting on a lumpy object jabbing into my side.

Ram Rod: Kydex is out. Don't care who makes it. RCS arguably makes some of the best rigs out there and they were just not comfortable for me. Holsters that collapse when you sit on 'em is also out. I had a leather holster that was squishy at the mouth. Made reholstering a real pain and dangerous to boot (had to open the mouth with my left hand, reholster with the right. Unavoidably swept the fingers on my left. Not good).
    HK45c V1

Yet another reason for my Fist IWB holster with clip and cant...easy on/off......and no I don't think I would wear my IWB holster for long periods of time without the firearm in it.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    good information to know, I'd never heard this before, but I don't wear an empty holster too often.

I'd consider OWB, using something like the UBG Regulator. I use one--it takes a while to learn the tricks for getting it on/off without removing the belt, but once you catch on it's pretty handy.

UBG Holsters

No way to wearing an empty well constructed leather holster. You lose the shape and boning, your holster is worthless.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I have the minituck IWB with the kydex and at work I lock my firearm up, but leave the holster on. I cant really tell its there and just leave it, easier than fiddling with it when I leave for a break or go home. I spoke with Mark at Crossbreed about this, and he told me I'm making it harder than it has to be. Looks to be the difference between all leather and the kydex / leather.
    Never argue with idiots - they'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Links