Involved or Not Involved

This is a discussion on Involved or Not Involved within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you observe a crime and are not armed, or otherwise capable to intervene, you or someone else call the authorities. If you observe a ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Involved or Not Involved

Involved or Not Involved

If you observe a crime and are not armed, or otherwise capable to intervene, you or someone else call the authorities. If you observe a crime in the same situation, and are armed and capable of such intervention, do you get involved?

Regards
    Rick
    "Fail Your Way To Success"
    "A Goal without a Plan, is Just a Dream"
    "Age and treachery will win over Youth and Enthusiasm"

2. Remove Ads

No, other than calling 911, observing, using cover and concealment if warranted.

Exception: IF I know someone is about to get killed by what I see, IF I know who the bad guy is, IF I know who the good guy is, IF I know where other BGs are.

Once General Patton was almost arrested when he stopped four men trying to put a resisting female into a taxi cab. He used his cane to beat the crap out of them. When it was all sorted out, the girl was the fiancee of one of the men. Patton still did what he thought was right by observation.

Not unless a life is threatened. I'm not a cop. My firearm is for defense of life and limb, not policing the world.
    --
    If I'm repeating myself, or repeating myself differently, it's probably 'cause of the brain cells I've murdered and the selective memory caused by concussions, contusions and confusions. Oh yeah, and that one night in Dallas.

NRA-Life Member
    ATA- Life Member
    --Guns? What guns?--

Excellent Reply

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaSon View Post
    No, other than calling 911, observing, using cover and concealment if warranted.

Exception: IF I know someone is about to get killed by what I see, IF I know who the bad guy is, IF I know who the good guy is, IF I know where other BGs are.

Once General Patton was almost arrested when he stopped four men trying to put a resisting female into a taxi cab. He used his cane to beat the crap out of them. When it was all sorted out, the girl was the fiancee of one of the men. Patton still did what he thought was right by observation.
    Excellent Reply

Quote Originally Posted by Censored View Post
    Not unless a life is threatened. I'm not a cop. My firearm is for defense of life and limb, not policing the world.
    Another Excellent Reply

Regards
    Rick

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Having a gun has never changed the way I would handle a situation in which I am witnessing a crime.

The weapon I carry does not make me stronger, faster, more powerful, invincible, immortal, or any other number of things that I am not. It is simply another tool of many that I possess. Nothing more, nothing less.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

VIP Member
    My firearm is carried to protect myself and loved ones, and it's use is a last resort. Unless I'm confronted and have no other choice I'm calling 911 and being a good witness.

I am Impressed at these answers

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    Having a gun has never changed the way I would handle a situation in which I am witnessing a crime.

The weapon I carry does not make me stronger, faster, more powerful, invincible, immortal, or any other number of things that I am not. It is simply another tool of many that I possess. Nothing more, nothing less.
    I am Impressed at these answers

Outstanding
    Regards
    Rick

SonofaSniper, I could not have put it better myself. Kudos on your direct, concise reply to this question.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    My firearm is carried to protect myself and loved ones, and it's use is a last resort. Unless I'm confronted and have no other choice I'm calling 911 and being a good witness.
    +1.

Sadly, some posters here think a concealed weapon makes them some type of mini-LEO or (as one guy put it) a "noble hero" in waiting. They stand willing to kill on another's behalf simply because they own a firearm, took a one-day class, and got fingerprinted. They have fantasies about shooting up members of a bike gang raping a teenage girl or lighting up the kid robbing the local Piggly Wiggly.

Kinda creepy.

Sure, there just may be a time we are called upon to involve ourselves on behalf of others who are in extremis. However, I don't strap on my EDC thinking I am some kind of superhero simply because I have a gun.
    Last edited by MadMac; July 17th, 2009 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    My thoughts exactly.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Distinguished Member
    I see a flaw in the premise of the OP: A gun - being armed - doesn't determine ability to intervene. In the first place, unless I am intimately familiar with the victim, my gun stays concealed. In the second place, the law restricts the actions of individuals to protect the rights of others. In the heat of "intervention" it is very easy to violate legal rights.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

The possession of a firearm does not give you the right to intervene in what may appear to be a crime in progress. What if you catch a co-worker stealing office supplies? Do you detain them at gun-point? MadMac is so right!!!

Kindly,please.....

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    +1.

Sadly, some posters here think a concealed weapon makes them some type of mini-LEO or (as one guy put it) a "noble hero" in waiting. They stand willing to kill on another's behalf simply because they own a firearm, took a one-day class, and got fingerprinted. They have fanatsies about shooting up members of a bike gang raping a teenage girl or lighting up the kid robbing the local Pggly Wiggly.

Kinda creepy.

Sure, there just may be a time we are called upon to involve ourselves on behalf of others who are in extremis. However, I don't strap on my EDC thinking I am some kind of superhero simply because I have a gun.
    could you provide info on a few of those posts, like title, category? I would like to read some of them!
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by carry ok View Post
    could you provide info on a few of those posts, like title, category? I would like to read some of them!
    Dude,

Start with this thread.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...would-you.html

I am too lazy to look up the others for you.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links