Day visit to NYC

This is a discussion on Day visit to NYC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Leosa=Good to go Non-Leosa=trip to central booking...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Day visit to NYC

Leosa=Good to go
    Non-Leosa=trip to central booking

2. Remove Ads

LEOSA

I'm no exspurt, (sp intentional), but as I understand it LEOSA overrides all concealed carry laws except allowing private parties to ban weapons on their property and government owned property.

What that means is, the local Mall can ban guns, because it is private property, and any government entity can ban firearms on their property. You are not, as my understanding, obligated to follow state concealed firearms laws. For example, lets say that a state bans concealed carry in a place of worship.

Under LEOSA you are allowed to carry there, as LEOSA overrides state law. You cannot carry there however if the church, or a represenative of that church, such as the pastor, deacon, assemblyman or what-not, tells you that you can't carry there.

I'm not a lawyer, and this certainly isn't legal advice. I'm just someone that carries under LEOSA a lot. BTW: keep your gun(s) very well concealed NYC cops are good at spotting guns and you will get hassled until you can prove you're legit.

Have fun and stay safe.

Biker

mf [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    LEOSA

I'm no exspurt, (sp intentional), but as I understand it LEOSA overrides all concealed carry laws except allowing private parties to ban weapons on their property and government owned property.

What that means is, the local Mall can ban guns, because it is private property, and any government entity can ban firearms on their property. You are not, as my understanding, obligated to follow state concealed firearms laws. For example, lets say that a state bans concealed carry in a place of worship.

Under LEOSA you are allowed to carry there, as LEOSA overrides state law. You cannot carry there however if the church, or a represenative of that church, such as the pastor, deacon, assemblyman or what-not, tells you that you can't carry there.

I'm not a lawyer, and this certainly isn't legal advice. I'm just someone that carries under LEOSA a lot. BTW: keep your gun(s) very well concealed NYC cops are good at spotting guns and you will get hassled until you can prove you're legit.

Have fun and stay safe.

Biker
    Right, so what about the NYC subway... I local law saying not to carry on their property (regarding their subway) would still be applicable, right?

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar

Can't believe this..........

3. Subject to other provisions of the law, this section shall not apply to a rifle or shotgun which is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case, box or other container which completely conceals the item from view and identification as a weapon.

In NYC, this is incredible!
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Rules governing the conduct and safety of the public in the use of the
    facilities of the New York City Transit Authority and Manhattan and Bronx
    Surface Transit Operating Authority
    Section 1050.8

1. No weapon, dangerous instrument, or any other item intended for use as a weapon may be carried in or on any facility or conveyance. This provision does not apply to law enforcement personnel and persons to whom a license for such weapon has been duly issued and is in force (provided in the latter case the weapon is concealed from view).

This goes for subways as well as buses.

The city also owns all the streets and sidewalks and they are good to go as well.. LOL

Have a great stay and enjoy the sights.

BTW- You will find very few restaurants and stores with any kind of NO GUN SIGN..
    Yes, BARS are OK. Just do not be under the influence.

bosco

BTW. Restaurants, bars and most places do not have NO GUN signs (very rare) and are good to go.. Just do not be under the influence.

NYC means Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island and the Bronx.

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    Rules governing the conduct and safety of the public in the use of the
    facilities of the New York City Transit Authority and Manhattan and Bronx
    Surface Transit Operating Authority
    Section 1050.8

1. No weapon, dangerous instrument, or any other item intended for use as a weapon may be carried in or on any facility or conveyance. This provision does not apply to law enforcement personnel and persons to whom a license for such weapon has been duly issued and is in force (provided in the latter case the weapon is concealed from view).

This goes for subways as well as buses.

The city also owns all the streets and sidewalks and they are good to go as well.. LOL

Have a great stay and enjoy the sights.

BTW- You will find very few restaurants and stores with any kind of NO GUN SIGN..
    Yes, BARS are OK. Just do not be under the influence.

bosco
    See the bold portion.

I may be incorrect, but I think that allows carry on the subway under LEOSA.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    See the bold portion.

I may be incorrect, but I think that allows carry on the subway under LEOSA.

Biker
    YOU ARE CORRECT.. Thats why I posted the link from the NY MTA Rules...

bosco

(Near the Second Amendment But Unfortunately Not Affected By It)
    This reminds me of an incident I read on, I think the PFOA site. Or, it might have been this site.

Two Philadelphia LEOs decided to arrest a wanted party in NYC. They did not notify the NYPD.

They were in custody for quite some time until they proved they were legit.

Ultimately, they two Pa. LEOs got their firearms back and were free to go, but not without some hassles.
    NRA 2AF IDPA
    Tactical Pistol Instructor

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    If you have your shield.....don't you guys have a 'code of blue' or 'blue wall' or something....?
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonvalley View Post
    If you have your shield.....don't you guys have a 'code of blue' or 'blue wall' or something....?
    Only if it's one of those nifty CHL badges...

bosco

MF,
    If you are in fact "on the job" then you need to read and or join this forum below.
    NYC Concealed Carry - Out of State Officer [Archive] - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com

Take your firearm, ID and Shield and be very nice to all security personal and our brothers in blue.

Have a great time.
    Last edited by eldorado; July 17th, 2009 at 11:04 PM.

CCW'ing under HR-218 for LEO is the same as CCW'ing with a state permit for a civilian. You can travel on all trains and buses with a NYC Pistol Permit, so you can do it UNDER LEOSHA. I am from NYC and I am LEO. As long as you have your LE (I.D.) you will be in complience.

mf [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by KATDADDY130 View Post
    CCW'ing under HR-218 for LEO is the same as CCW'ing with a state permit for a civilian. You can travel on all trains and buses with a NYC Pistol Permit, so you can do it UNDER LEOSHA. I am from NYC and I am LEO. As long as you have your LE (I.D.) you will be in complience.
    It's actually not the same at all. The law is constructed in a manor to say that, "state gun laws don't apply except in certain cases," it's not the same as a CCW permit. This is why HR218 folks can go to bars in most bar-restricted carry states.

To KatDaddy Welcome to the group nice to see more people from NYC checking in.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links