Defensive Carry banner

Day visit to NYC

5K views 37 replies 16 participants last post by  Matthew Temkin 
#1 ·
In two weeks I'll be visiting Thomas Jefferson's nightmare, * cough cough *, I mean New York city.

Now, I'm going to NYC armed, yes, legally. However, I'm a little confused if NYC can have local gun laws, aside from invalidating other New Yorkers carry permits, which is state law anyways.

First off, are there restrictions on riding the subway with firearms?
What else, aside from the whole city, is gun-unfriendly? I'm assuming local government buildings are super-duper-anti-gun zones in NYC.
What attractions have metal detectors? (I'm guessing places that do still don't care if you are one of the few blessed to be legally armed there)
What else should I know?

Thanks!

#5 ·
Section 1050.8

Weapons and other dangerous instruments.

1. No weapon, dangerous instrument, or any other item intended for use as a weapon may be carried in or on any facility or conveyance. This provision does not apply to law enforcement personnel and persons to whom a license for such weapon has been duly issued and is in force (provided in the latter case the weapon is concealed from view). For the purposes hereof, a weapon or dangerous instrument shall include, but not be limited to, a firearm, switchblade knife, gravity knife, boxcutter, straight razor or razor blades that are not wrapped or enclosed in a protective covering, sword, shotgun or rifle.
2. No explosives or other highly combustible materials, or radioactive materials, may be carried on or in any facility or conveyance, except as authorized by the Authority.
3. Subject to other provisions of the law, this section shall not apply to a rifle or shotgun which is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case, box or other container which completely conceals the item from view and identification as a weapon.

MTA NYC Transit - Rules of Conduct

#9 ·
Section 1050.8

Weapons and other dangerous instruments.
2. No explosives or other highly combustible materials, or radioactive materials, may be carried on or in any facility or conveyance, except as authorized by the Authority
I forgot to add No Radioactive materials. Thanks for V65 for covering me. They will not accept the excuse that you forgot that the Radioactive material in your pocket. I have tried that one and it does NOT work.

#6 ·
I would call each of the venues that I may travel to and ask if you may carry as active LEo or do they have lockers for storage of firearms while visiting the venue. I would give them a date 2 weeks from when you will be there in case you go the consealed route. I know that you can not cary in a court, Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. I would remcommed carrying of the subway at night.

#7 ·
This is not expert opinion, but I have been to NYC and dealt with some of these issues. I believe places like the Empire State Building have metal detectors (or they did in 2002, anyway). Other than that, mostly if you do have a NYC recognized gun permit, there are very few actual restrictions. Unlike most of the rest of the country, where some anti's have put in all types of restrictions to legal carry in various places, NYC deals with that by simply saying "virtually no peasant has a gun". So, therefore I don't think they have any actual restriction to legal carry on the subway (my opinion!). If you do encounter a metal detector, show them your permit, hopefully you'll be OK when the cops show up.

Be sure to visit handgunlaw.us, that should answer some of your questions a bit better.

#13 ·
there are two types of state laws that are not overridden by the
federal law, these being "the laws of any State that (1) permit private persons
or entities to prohibit or restrict the possession of concealed firearms on
their property(eg. ARENAS-STADIUMS-ETC.); or (2) prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on any
State or local government property, installation, building, base, or park." This
does not mean that LEOSA-qualified persons are prohibited from carrying
concealed firearms in such areas, but only that they must obey whatever state
laws apply on those two points. They are free to disregard all other state and
local laws that govern the carrying of concealed firearms.
(SUBWAY AND OTHER TRANSIT etc.)

#15 ·
NYC may be nuts but they do expect you to be able to see the sights without walking the soles off your shoes..

Public transportation falls under "They are free to disregard all other state and
local laws that govern the carrying of concealed firearms."

JUST MAKE SURE you have proof that qualifies you for LEOSA...

I am not a lawyer but I do know a few cops in and around NYC and in the upstate area..

bosco

#17 ·
LEOSA

I'm no exspurt, (sp intentional), but as I understand it LEOSA overrides all concealed carry laws except allowing private parties to ban weapons on their property and government owned property.

What that means is, the local Mall can ban guns, because it is private property, and any government entity can ban firearms on their property. You are not, as my understanding, obligated to follow state concealed firearms laws. For example, lets say that a state bans concealed carry in a place of worship.

Under LEOSA you are allowed to carry there, as LEOSA overrides state law. You cannot carry there however if the church, or a represenative of that church, such as the pastor, deacon, assemblyman or what-not, tells you that you can't carry there.

I'm not a lawyer, and this certainly isn't legal advice. I'm just someone that carries under LEOSA a lot. BTW: keep your gun(s) very well concealed NYC cops are good at spotting guns and you will get hassled until you can prove you're legit.

Have fun and stay safe.

Biker

#19 ·
Can't believe this..........

3. Subject to other provisions of the law, this section shall not apply to a rifle or shotgun which is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case, box or other container which completely conceals the item from view and identification as a weapon.

In NYC, this is incredible!:banned:

#20 ·
Rules governing the conduct and safety of the public in the use of the
facilities of the New York City Transit Authority and Manhattan and Bronx
Surface Transit Operating Authority
Section 1050.8

1. No weapon, dangerous instrument, or any other item intended for use as a weapon may be carried in or on any facility or conveyance. This provision does not apply to law enforcement personnel and persons to whom a license for such weapon has been duly issued and is in force (provided in the latter case the weapon is concealed from view).

This goes for subways as well as buses.

The city also owns all the streets and sidewalks and they are good to go as well.. LOL:rolleyes:

Have a great stay and enjoy the sights.

BTW- You will find very few restaurants and stores with any kind of NO GUN SIGN..
Yes, BARS are OK. Just do not be under the influence.

bosco

#22 ·
Rules governing the conduct and safety of the public in the use of the
facilities of the New York City Transit Authority and Manhattan and Bronx
Surface Transit Operating Authority
Section 1050.8

1. No weapon, dangerous instrument, or any other item intended for use as a weapon may be carried in or on any facility or conveyance. This provision does not apply to law enforcement personnel and persons to whom a license for such weapon has been duly issued and is in force (provided in the latter case the weapon is concealed from view).

This goes for subways as well as buses.

The city also owns all the streets and sidewalks and they are good to go as well.. LOL:rolleyes:

Have a great stay and enjoy the sights.

BTW- You will find very few restaurants and stores with any kind of NO GUN SIGN..
Yes, BARS are OK. Just do not be under the influence.

bosco
See the bold portion.

I may be incorrect, but I think that allows carry on the subway under LEOSA.

Biker

#24 ·
This reminds me of an incident I read on, I think the PFOA site. Or, it might have been this site.

Two Philadelphia LEOs decided to arrest a wanted party in NYC. They did not notify the NYPD.

They were in custody for quite some time until they proved they were legit.

Ultimately, they two Pa. LEOs got their firearms back and were free to go, but not without some hassles.

#29 ·
It's actually not the same at all. The law is constructed in a manor to say that, "state gun laws don't apply except in certain cases," it's not the same as a CCW permit. This is why HR218 folks can go to bars in most bar-restricted carry states.

#34 ·
I don't know. I'm not LE and wasn't carrying.

Empire State Bldg. also has them and I took my knife through by simply putting it in the plastic tub under my camera and sending it through the x-ray machine. Real effective security.

I know I probably shouldn't have done that, but I had already paid to go up and waited in a long line before I realized I wasn't supposed to have it.

#35 · (Edited)
I carry under LEOSA in NYC a lot. The skinny is that you need to have your badge and official ID. The NYPD also like to see a traveling dues card. Professional courtesy is alive and well in NJ/NY.

You may carry anywhere in NYC except for government buildings that have restrictions on it such as the Courthouse and Federal buildings. Lockers are available for securing.

Remember that under LEOSA, only the state may restrict your carry on state-owned property. You must comply with all Federal restrictions. All private venues may restrict your LEOSA carry. The NYPD is easy to deal with and if need be most precincts are equipped with lockers to secure in. If you attend a venue that is staffed by NYPD, you should confer with them. After checking your ID, they will get you around any security that's in place.

PM if questions.

#36 ·
All private venues may not restrict your LEOSA carry.
I'm sorry, but I don't see how this is correct.

18usc926B said:
(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of the law of any State or any political subdivision thereof, an individual who is a qualified law enforcement officer and who is carrying the identification required by subsection (d) may carry a concealed firearm that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, subject to subsection (b).
(b) This section shall not be construed to supersede or limit the laws of any State that—
(1) permit private persons or entities to prohibit or restrict the possession of concealed firearms on their property; or

(2) prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on any State or local government property, installation, building, base, or park.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.