Day visit to NYC

This is a discussion on Day visit to NYC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In two weeks I'll be visiting Thomas Jefferson's nightmare, * cough cough *, I mean New York city. Now, I'm going to NYC armed, yes, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Day visit to NYC

mf [OP]

Day visit to NYC

In two weeks I'll be visiting Thomas Jefferson's nightmare, * cough cough *, I mean New York city.

Now, I'm going to NYC armed, yes, legally. However, I'm a little confused if NYC can have local gun laws, aside from invalidating other New Yorkers carry permits, which is state law anyways.

First off, are there restrictions on riding the subway with firearms?
    What else, aside from the whole city, is gun-unfriendly? I'm assuming local government buildings are super-duper-anti-gun zones in NYC.
    What attractions have metal detectors? (I'm guessing places that do still don't care if you are one of the few blessed to be legally armed there)
    What else should I know?

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

(Near the Second Amendment But Unfortunately Not Affected By It)
    This might help. (You say you will be legally armed. Are you sure?) NYC is a world onto itself.

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/NYCCL.pdf
    NRA 2AF IDPA
    Tactical Pistol Instructor

mf [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by V65magnafan View Post
    This might help. (You say you will be legally armed. Are you sure?) NYC is a world onto itself.

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/NYCCL.pdf
    Thanks for the link!

Yep, I'm sure I'm legal there. It's really hard finding info on the city's gun regulations itself though... Not even that link really helped me with what all NYC could restrict.

1097.11 Firearms or other weapons

No person, except for those licensed to do so and in immediate possession of such license, shall bring into or carry in a terminal, station or train firearms or other weapons.

MTA LIRR - Rules and Regulations
    NRA 2AF IDPA

Section 1050.8

Weapons and other dangerous instruments.

1. No weapon, dangerous instrument, or any other item intended for use as a weapon may be carried in or on any facility or conveyance. This provision does not apply to law enforcement personnel and persons to whom a license for such weapon has been duly issued and is in force (provided in the latter case the weapon is concealed from view). For the purposes hereof, a weapon or dangerous instrument shall include, but not be limited to, a firearm, switchblade knife, gravity knife, boxcutter, straight razor or razor blades that are not wrapped or enclosed in a protective covering, sword, shotgun or rifle.
    2. No explosives or other highly combustible materials, or radioactive materials, may be carried on or in any facility or conveyance, except as authorized by the Authority.
    3. Subject to other provisions of the law, this section shall not apply to a rifle or shotgun which is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case, box or other container which completely conceals the item from view and identification as a weapon.

MTA NYC Transit - Rules of Conduct
    NRA 2AF IDPA

I would call each of the venues that I may travel to and ask if you may carry as active LEo or do they have lockers for storage of firearms while visiting the venue. I would give them a date 2 weeks from when you will be there in case you go the consealed route. I know that you can not cary in a court, Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. I would remcommed carrying of the subway at night.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mf View Post
    In two weeks I'll be visiting Thomas Jefferson's nightmare, * cough cough *, I mean New York city.

Now, I'm going to NYC armed, yes, legally. However, I'm a little confused if NYC can have local gun laws, aside from invalidating other New Yorkers carry permits, which is state law anyways.

First off, are there restrictions on riding the subway with firearms?
    What else, aside from the whole city, is gun-unfriendly? I'm assuming local government buildings are super-duper-anti-gun zones in NYC.
    What attractions have metal detectors? (I'm guessing places that do still don't care if you are one of the few blessed to be legally armed there)
    What else should I know?

Thanks!
    This is not expert opinion, but I have been to NYC and dealt with some of these issues. I believe places like the Empire State Building have metal detectors (or they did in 2002, anyway). Other than that, mostly if you do have a NYC recognized gun permit, there are very few actual restrictions. Unlike most of the rest of the country, where some anti's have put in all types of restrictions to legal carry in various places, NYC deals with that by simply saying "virtually no peasant has a gun". So, therefore I don't think they have any actual restriction to legal carry on the subway (my opinion!). If you do encounter a metal detector, show them your permit, hopefully you'll be OK when the cops show up.

Be sure to visit handgunlaw.us, that should answer some of your questions a bit better.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    You say you will be legally armed. Are you sure?
    He is probably planning to carry under LEOSA. Under that law, you have to obey some state and local restrictions on places you cannot carry.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Section 1050.8

Weapons and other dangerous instruments.
    2. No explosives or other highly combustible materials, or radioactive materials, may be carried on or in any facility or conveyance, except as authorized by the Authority
    I forgot to add No Radioactive materials. Thanks for V65 for covering me. They will not accept the excuse that you forgot that the Radioactive material in your pocket. I have tried that one and it does NOT work.

mf [OP]
    Well, I'll be carrying under LEOSA... So, I actually don't have a 'license', so this actually makes the subway a gray-zone. Thanks for the help so far!

If you are using LEOSA make sure you can prove it.

bosco

Cool

You might be comforted by knowing that NYC is a pretty safe city in general. Doesn't even make the top fifity most dangerous cities in the United States.

there are two types of state laws that are not overridden by the
    federal law, these being "the laws of any State that (1) permit private persons
    or entities to prohibit or restrict the possession of concealed firearms on
    their property(eg. ARENAS-STADIUMS-ETC.); or (2) prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on any
    State or local government property, installation, building, base, or park." This
    does not mean that LEOSA-qualified persons are prohibited from carrying
    concealed firearms in such areas, but only that they must obey whatever state
    laws apply on those two points. They are free to disregard all other state and
    local laws that govern the carrying of concealed firearms.
    (SUBWAY AND OTHER TRANSIT etc.)

mf [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    there are two types of state laws that are not overridden by the
    federal law, these being "the laws of any State that (1) permit private persons
    or entities to prohibit or restrict the possession of concealed firearms on
    their property(eg. ARENAS-STADIUMS-ETC.); or (2) prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on any
    State or local government property, installation, building, base, or park." This
    does not mean that LEOSA-qualified persons are prohibited from carrying
    concealed firearms in such areas, but only that they must obey whatever state
    laws apply on those two points. They are free to disregard all other state and
    local laws that govern the carrying of concealed firearms.
    (SUBWAY AND OTHER TRANSIT etc.)
    Subway is owned by the government, so the "state or local government property" construction may be an issue...

NYC may be nuts but they do expect you to be able to see the sights without walking the soles off your shoes..

Public transportation falls under "They are free to disregard all other state and
    local laws that govern the carrying of concealed firearms."

JUST MAKE SURE you have proof that qualifies you for LEOSA...

I am not a lawyer but I do know a few cops in and around NYC and in the upstate area..

bosco

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links