Gun complaint from brother-in-law

This is a discussion on Gun complaint from brother-in-law within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What a combination huh? Gun complaint and brother-in-law! You know this had to be fun, right! I was traveling with my family through Dallas, and ...

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun complaint from brother-in-law

Gun complaint from brother-in-law

What a combination huh? Gun complaint and brother-in-law! You know this had to be fun, right!

I was traveling with my family through Dallas, and I spent the night with my sister. While I was there, I got to hear several comments from my brother-in-law about how comforted he was with his doberman now that he was getting old enough to be protective. He was telling me how secure he felt now while my sister is frequently home alone and what a good deterrent the dog is becoming.

The 80lb dog has a tremendous bark and is no doubt a great deterrent, but I kind of chuckled as I listened to this with my new S&W J-frame in my pocket. I was thinking how the dog would do a great job of letting my sister know something was amiss and making just enough of a distraction for her to draw a gun.

The fun part was when we left, I inadvertently left a backpack with a laptop and a second 1911 pistol I had brought. I don't know how that happened, but I realized it was missing the next day and gave him a call. I wasn't looking forward to the call, and the whole thing lived up to all my expectations.

He let me know he had gone through the backpack and found the pistol. He raised a fuss about it being cocked and loaded. I reassured him it was perfectly safe with multiple safeties engaged, stored in a holster, stored out of plain sight in my personal possessions. If he would just put it back where he found it, it would be perfectly safe until I got back in a few days. He didn't make it out to be a big problem, but he was obviously unhappy I'd left it.

When we got back, at some point, he told me he had put the gun away for safe keeping, and would give it back when I got ready to leave. Overall, it wasn't a big deal, but he was implicitly judgmental and condescending about me carrying a gun for my family's security. I kept remembering his own concerns about his family's security.

Someone made a comment that people in Texas are so pro-gun, I thought I'd post this story. My family is long time southern farmers. His family is long time New York city dwellers. I doubt my sister was surprised in the least or could have cared less. I just thought his reaction was interesting. Could be interesting to buy my sister a .357 revolver for Christmas!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    I'm sorry, but I have to say I would be pretty darned upset with you as well. Anyone who visits me is welcome to be armed. And I don't care if you prefer to CC or OC in my home...my friends are welcome to do either. However, at the point where you leave an unsecured weapon in my home without my knowledge...I'm not going to be happy. At all. I secure my firearms at home...period. If I am not in direct control if it, it is secured in a location that I am comfortable with. If I found out a pistol was laying around in a back pack, duffel bag, suitcase, etc, I'm going to have a problem with it.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

why did he feel the need to rummage through your things in the first place? my brother-in-law wouldn't have had a chance to complain about a gun in my bag, because he would've gotten an earful from me.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    I'm sorry, but I have to say I would be pretty darned upset with you as well. Anyone who visits me is welcome to be armed. And I don't care if you prefer to CC or OC in my home...my friends are welcome to do either. However, at the point where you leave an unsecured weapon in my home without my knowledge...I'm not going to be happy. At all. I secure my firearms at home...period. If I am not in direct control if it, it is secured in a location that I am comfortable with. If I found out a pistol was laying around in a back pack, duffel bag, suitcase, etc, I'm going to have a problem with it.
    Gonzo
    +1 Having a gun in my house that was not in your immediate possession would have been a problem for me too.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

VIP Member
    I was wondering why he went through your stuff also, kind of rude.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Gonzo
    Yeah, I've kind of got to agree with that as well.
    That said, it does sound like he's kind of an anti-ninny too.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Gonzo
    I probably would too. I think I could sooner forget my wife than leave one of my guns behind. Maybe that's just me
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    +1 Having a gun in my house that was not in your immediate possession would have been a problem for me too.
    Ditto.
    Agreed with Gonzo, 100%.

I do not do this to other people and would not feel good about someone doing this to me. It smacks of irresponsibility on the whole, never mind that it was specifically in a holster and has safeties.
    Proper storage of a live gun is not in a backpack. And being a second gun brough along for who knows what reason (from the brother inlaws perspective) it should not have been stowed, not stored, as such in a loaded condition.

Had this been one of my brothers in law doing same we would have had words...and not be invited to be at my place around my family again.

- Janq

P.S. - I too would have opened the backpack as an attempt to figure out whos backpack this is and why is it in my house, seeing as it's not my own. This is very normal behavior and it wouldn't involve at all rummaging around in it to plainly see a laptop and a gun inside. Open it and boom there you go. Now if "backpack" actually means 'rucksack' as filled with a dresser full of other stuff and gear then well that's different. But a backpack in general those are small and don't have a lot of internal volume so as to miss the obvious of a laptop and GUN.
    Dude is owed an apology.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Implicitly Judgemental and Condescending

You leave a chambered and cocked pistol out of your control at his place and you think he is implicitly judgemental and condescending? Maybe he is judgemental and condescending about your lack of responsibility and attention to detail.

You are armed to the teeth, sneering about his dog, meanwhile you don't even have control over your weapon? Your behavior is shocking, not his.

Seems like you are all about flaunting your gun carrying RIGHTS and don't have a clue about your RESPONSIBILITIES.

And for the people complaining that the guy went through the backpack that was left in his house(!!!!) .... hey ... it was not a Diplomatic Pouch ... exempt from search. He has every right to go in it. If the owner has a problem with it ... how about NOT LEAVING A LOADED COCKED WEAPON in it AT SOMEONE ELSE'S HOUSE?

Amazing.

Carry open or carry concealed in my house ... no problem. Leave a bag in my house with a gun, cocked and chambered no less, in it ... then have the audacity to complain about me discovering it as if your bag is some sorta extension of your house ... you might be off the guest list for awhile.

My relatives would not see any of my guns except by request.
    When I visit the 'outlaws' my guns and ammo are in a suitcase that is locked.
    OK, we've covered the keep your guns locked issue, but I can't imagine an 'outlaw' telling me he give me my gun back when I was ready to leave...I'd be leaving right away.

Stay armed...always concealed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    Same here. I also agree with everyone else that he should not have been going through your stuff, he must have know it was not his or your Sisters (no idea of kids).

We are pretty pro-gun here in Texas, but we do have our exceptions. We also have a good mix of people who think 2A is for hunters and not everyone else.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

Glad there wasn't a kid or two around the house that may have found it first...

bosco

VIP Member

Another good one by Jang

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Ditto.
    Agreed with Gonzo, 100%.

I do not do this to other people and would not feel good about someone doing this to me. It smacks of irresponsibility on the whole, never mind that it was specifically in a holster and has safeties.
    Proper storage of a live gun is not in a backpack. And being a second gun brough along for who knows what reason (from the brother inlaws perspective) it should not have been stowed, not stored, as such in a loaded condition.

Had this been one of my brothers in law doing same we would have had words...and not be invited to be at my place around my family again.

- Janq

P.S. - I too would have opened the backpack as an attempt to figure out whos backpack this is and why is it in my house, seeing as it's not my own. This is very normal behavior and it wouldn't involve at all rummaging around in it to plainly see a laptop and a gun inside. Open it and boom there you go. Now if "backpack" actually means 'rucksack' as filled with a dresser full of other stuff and gear then well that's different. But a backpack in general those are small and don't have a lot of internal volume so as to miss the obvious of a laptop and GUN.
    Dude is owed an apology.
    I totally agree with you Jang. It is about personal responsibility, and the attention to detail needed to not leave your backpack with a gun in it somewhere by accident. What if it was a bus stop, and some kids got into it?

I'll never forget an incident involving my "irresponsible" cousin who worked security, and left his gun in a restroom (not where he worked), only to have it returned personally by The State Police. My Uncle wasn't happy.

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    Glad there wasn't a kid or two around the house that may have found it first...

bosco
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Leaving that gun unattended was a very irresponsible thing to do.
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them. Richard Henry Lee 1788

I don't think he should have gone threw your things, but you need to keep up with your guns, that's serious man.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Links